Sign in to follow this  
jmann8686

How Much Lace

So my lace should be ariving today in the mail and I have a wallet that is 6"x4-1/4" and I will be doing the double loop stitch and jaws wondering how to measure how much lace I will need to lace the whole thing.

Thanks

So my lace should be ariving today in the mail and I have a wallet that is 6"x4-1/4" and I will be doing the double loop stitch and jaws wondering how to measure how much lace I will need to lace the whole thing.

Thanks

I read somewhere you measure the perimeter of the piece to be sewn, Times that by 2 and add several inches for "just in case wiggle room" Don't ask me where I found that... I've been reading about this stuff online, in books and such for a couple months now.

Genereal rule for a double-loop stitch, you need about 7 times the length of the edge you're lacing. For a wallet that size, I think you'll find about 6 yards works well. I 2-piece it, as in 2 pieces of 3 yards.

There is really no reason to try to measure it before yo ustart unless you think you do not have enough. The 7 times rule of thumb is a guideline, but there are many variables (how far you space your slots, how far the slots are from the edge, etc). Pull out as much as your arms are long, about 5'-6' and go. You will likely have one splice in it before you are done. DO NOT try to do it with one piece. The lace will be worn out and very stretched before you are done.

Aaron

My apologies: I didn't see the "double loop part" Here is the instruction on Tandy.... and it also says 7-8 times the length of the item being stitched.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/infoandservices/Leathercraft-ABC/Leathercraft-ABC-pg3/Leathercraft-ABC-pg3.aspx

Thanks

My apologies: I didn't see the "double loop part" Here is the instruction on Tandy.... and it also says 7-8 times the length of the item being stitched.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/infoandservices/Leathercraft-ABC/Leathercraft-ABC-pg3/Leathercraft-ABC-pg3.aspx

No worries I got it done today. I did it in two pieces. And spliced it but thank

You.