pete

Drawing Belt Patterns

I have been tooling for many years and have always used patterns from books,pasting pictures together, etc. I have Pete Gorrell's book as well as design artistry (Baird) and 4-5 Chan Geer books. I am SO *(#)(*&$ frustrated that I can't draw a design that I like. They come out too stemmy, to much background, or usually so crowded that the stem and leaves are bigger than the flowers.

IS THERE A RULE OF THUMB or at least a consensus on belt patterns!?!?!

l know to start at the tip (duh!)

but when drawing, do you place your flowers and leaves and fill in the blanks? and if so, do you draw the stems up from the bottom or down from the top? I know it sounds stupid but I get the top flower done and before I'm at the next flower or leaf I've got a jungle going and have used up all my ideas!

I hope that Clay, Bobby,Randy, and others will chime in- I'm getting tired of the same old patterns (as great as they are) and have a new order for dozens of belts. I would happily use just the Chan Geer belt patterns for all of them but I really want to learn to create my own.

thanks to all

respectfully,

pete

Pete

Sorry to hear about your frustration as I am still stuck in this position......but I am eager to know what you find out in your quest! How the blade holding up?

Welcome to the condumdcrumcrumncrumn of leatherwork................................Just do your best and wing it!

Good luck!

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Pete

Sorry to hear about your frustration as I am still stuck in this position......but I am eager to know what you find out in your quest! How the blade holding up?

Really nice job on the blade! I guess that I am still so used to the feel of the ceramic gliding that I haven't gotten used to the feel of steel! I read somewhere that a ceramic blade gets better as it ages(is used) and mine is almost 20 years old. even dry, uncased leather cuts with no drag.

Thanks again for the wonderful job, though. I use it for decorative cuts and thick leather as the blade is thinner than the ceramic.

If I can do anything for you please don't hesitate.

pete

Very cool...you're welcome!

I have basically the same problem with drawing. I can draw a cure on the right and of object but not

on the left hand. side. Example is i am trying to do a ULU knife. To get the contours on the handle about the same,

I have to flip the blade blank over an draw.

As my work is a hackers job at doing something, I found its the hand flow that maters. In watching my Mother

paint and do pencil etchings it seems that she did the main focal point than fill in around.

Training hand and eyes to work together and keeping sizes of parts of a drawing similar is another art.

If I need the drawing done right I send it to my sister. She inherited that skill.

Joe