Shorts

When do you expand your gun list?

Just curious as to when folks start adding guns to your inventory. I understand more often than not it will be a financially based decision. I've got several request for a gun I do not have, but I have no done them as I did not want to buy and wait for a new gun for only one holster. How do you decide to go ahead? I though possibly if I recieved at least a couple request for that model would I get the blue gun. That would allow me somewhat to recover the cost of purchase. Is that an error in strategy? What about a small additional cost for first run holster for guns?

Sorry for the 20 questions. I'm just interested in expanding the line-up without going overboard, hopefully going about it smart.

well. the holsters i have made, i had the guns or the person i was making the holster for had it. i should mention that i only make holsters for friends so leaving the gun w/me isnt an issue.

im not sure how much those plastic/aluminum props go for, but if you want to expand your holster line, it maybe worth it to buy some a little at a time.

Good point. Ideally, I'd do the same, if you have a particular pistol, leave it with me so I can make it specific. Unfortunately, since I'm not in the US I don't have access to real models. So, blue guns are the only method I can use for the time being. The blue guns run anywhere from $35-$40 each, plus another $10 for shipping. I've got mine for $47ea total according to my receipts. So, its still a significant cost.

Or would it offer greater flexibility to drop an initial investment in a handful of models? Again, mereyl speculating on the ways to go about it.

hobby, thanks for your perspective. I'm interested in hearing others as well. Thanks guys :)

Check on a bulk rate shipping cost from the company. Then, IF you can afford it, build capital and make a multi-model purchase. That would let you moderately reduce the overall cost per gun. I don't think you should price the first run of a model any higher than you would any other holster--UNLESS it's an unusual model, or a very uncommon one. Something like HK, Ruger, S&W, Glock, Sig, 1911's (and clones), Taurus/Barretta, and the increasingly popular Bersa 'Thunder' models should be just a part of your tools and materials list for your business. Now, if someone asked for a holster for an antique, or something really off the wall (perhaps someone wants a lefthanded tacticool holster for a rail mounted flashlight-mounted when holstered) and you could convince the bluegun mfg to make you a mock up then yes, you should include the cost under special materials.

Another way to look at it- Would you charge more for the first holster out of a hide just because you had to buy some new leather? Of course not. The cost of materials is (or at least should be amoritized over several holsters. Any specialty items are recovered at cost + X% (as economy allows) on an individual basis.

Oh, by the way, I found a translation to Kanji for the project I'm working on. Thanks for checking on it for me.

Mike

P.S. I don't know the cost, and I wouldn't recommend pounding on them, but check out AirSoft pistols- and if you're even able to get them over there. From what I've seen, they're dimensionally correct, and include safeties and controls. The plain models (Crossman Soft Air- and obvious knockoff) are pretty inexpensive. They might be a viable alternative to blueguns.

Edited by TwinOaks

Oh my goodness! Mike! I completely blanked on getting back to you on the kanji name. I did ask hubby to ask his Jpn counterparts but he never got back to me. I'm so sorry for dropping the ball on that :(

Thanks for the thoughts on the blue guns. If using airsoft be careful what brand and before using them, spec them out. I have a Commander airsoft that's bigger than the real gun.

Google "Bluegun" and you'll find a variety of sources.

Shorts, don't worry a bit about it; I never presumed to give you an assignment.

Edited by TwinOaks

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have offered holsters for so many gun models so soon. I still haven't re-couped cost on some of my dummy guns, while others paid for themselves right away. There are a lot of things to consider when it comes to this matter. When you purchase a new dummy gun, you have time and meterial costs invested in all the new patterns. You have to spend time with familiarizing yourself with the gun's controls and your customers' carry preferences so you get the right version. If you aren't used to building holsters for that pistol, it will also take more time to bone and shape the holster. All of these little things add up to a lot of extra cost and time investments that you may not have thought of yet. You should consider all this when factoring in whether supporting the new model will be a worthwhile investment for you. Of course you want to please your customers and help them as much as you can, but you can't put yourself out of business trying to do it. There are plenty of folks making holsters out there, so it isn't like there aren't alternatives available to them if you can't help them out.

Figure out who your clientel is and cater to their needs and wants. Your products will improve, your customers will be happier, and you will take less time than you used to building the same holsters. If your normal repeating customers request a specific model several times, by all means get the dummy and invest the time in the new patterns (as that model is obviously in your clientel niche).

Hope this helped.

Edited by BOOMSTICKHolsters

Awhile back, I posted about if there would be any interest if I was to become a Blue Gun dealer.I only got like one reply. I work next to the manufacturer and have spoken with the owner. My intention since I have no shipping costs on my end was to give forum members a good discount on them. The problem is that the initial cost to become a distributor is costly to me and without any support here, I couldn't justify it at the time. However, I am still considering it as my holster business is increasing as well, but it may take a bit.Dave

I invested in 5 and some magazines for around 240 if memory serves. I am still doing R&D on most and have not created an opportunity to sell any yet. The ones I got are the common types like 45 and 9mm a fairly even mix of sizes from .380 conceal to a fairly large 1911. I would be interested in hearing what models are more popular sellers around the country. I have not had much time to go to local dealers and ask questions but that is on the to do list, so much to do, and so little time, shucks.

DCKnives:

Are you saying that you'd be able to offer them for less than a holster business can get them for if buying direct from Ring's?

Jordan:

You bring up a couple of good points. You should determine where in the market you want to play, i.e., if you want to only support your local gun shops or go to a wider market. There may be enough business for a person to stay within their own locale/geographic area. Another consideration, and Boomstick eluded to this, is if you want to do a wide variety of guns or just limit where and what styles you offer. There are holster makers out there who do nothing other than pocket holsters. You could probably do well just doing IWB holsters, as concealed carry is growing in leaps and bounds. There are a couple of folks who only do the "gun belts." If someone wanted to concentrate on doing nothing but holsters for revolvers, i.e., J-frames, K-frames, L-frames, N-frames, and X-frames, they would have a substantial amount of work in their shop.

Conversely, diversity is going to bolster your bottom line more so, and much sooner, than concentrating in one arena/aspect of the industry. There's a myth (IMO) out there that says, in essence, "If you do too many things, you're not good at any." While that may be true in some instances, it's definitely not true in all.

I was told by the owner they only sell to dealers/distributors ,so I had planned on a distributorship. And yes I think I would be able to offer cheaper prices.Dave

Well, actually, they also sell to bonafide holster businesses. You might want to clarify with them as to who they sell to and for how much. It's a rare occasion that a company would allow another to sell their product for less than they do.

Will do, thank you.Dave

Unless I know the gun model is something people will use I won't buy one without at least an order to cover the cost of the form.

I tell people that I will keep their name and let them know if I get a form. This has worked very well.

I have also purchased the real thing at times and for a common gun it pays back very quickly. The last one I did that on is the Kel-tec PF9. It has been paid for in less than 3 months and I get the gun to use plus a write-off B)