angie m

Clicker Help

My small shop has gotten too busy for my converted shop press clicker. I make tack - will a Tippmann 1500 work for me or should I get one of the hydraulic machines? Sure like the price better on the Tippmann 700, but it is probably too small. Any advice....please??? :)

Does the size of the platten work for the parts you're cutting? Assume that leather has a shear strength of about 3 tons (there is a lot of difference in what leather you use). Simplified, the pressure you need is 1.5 times the length of the cut times the thickness of the leather.

For example, you're cuting a strap 1" wide, 12" long, with a .5 radius on each end, in 8 ounce veg leather.

Length of the cut is roughly 26", and the thickness is .125". So the pressure needed is (26) x (1.5) x (.125) = 4.8 tons. As a rule, a clicker die is tapered and will allow for a bit of a shearing effect (like scissors, not all the pressure all at once). IF I remember right, you'll want to stay at 80% (or less) of the capacity of the machine. For that Tippman, 80% is about 5.6 tons. Thinner leather will take less force, and a dull die will take more force.

It's sad that the Tippmann site doesn't offer any help in the technical area on this equipment. I personally don't like this setup due to the height limitation of the press. That's long-winded so I won't bore you with all of that. Basically, if you're cutting 30" OR LESS in leather that is 8 OUNCE OR LESS and your part is not more than 12" long, you're probably fine.

OH, YEAH ... that 30" is roughly a 9.5" circle.

Edited by JLSleather

My small shop has gotten too busy for my converted shop press clicker. I make tack - will a Tippmann 1500 work for me or should I get one of the hydraulic machines? Sure like the price better on the Tippmann 700, but it is probably too small. Any advice....please??? :)

HI Angie:

I saw your post yesterday but I don't have any advice to offer. Probably your best bet is to click the Green "Boss" banner above and pose your questions to Tippmann directly.

Here's a link to a video that may offer answers to your questions.

http://www.tippmannindustrial.com/video.php?image=Clicker%20700&osCsid=8269a19108d008dc44259b5e304c0746

I hadn't seen that video, until now. Apparently, technical specs at tippman means you can cut little booties out of 6/8 leather, but not very fast. :)

Oh, that's the 1500 model ...

Thanks! I am cutting headstalls/breastcollars and halter patterns. The largest is 24" long. I have been using a converted shop press but I am sick of the die either going too far through the leather into my cutting board or not far enough and having to cut again....I spend way too much time on the actual cutting. I need a real press. Just don't know if I need the huge shop swing arm machine. I will need to pay an electrician for wiring on one of those - it may be too much for my small shop anyway. Just don't want to buy a tippmann and find out I really needed the bigger machine.

Hi Angie,

The Tippmann has an advantage; you can take it apart and move the pieces, and on any of them that is a handy dandy thing. My Hydraulic needs a pallet jack, but moves easily that way.

Inconvenient things about the Tippmann; personally I think the 7 ton is too small, none of them have a swing away top platen, and they have slow recovery, and use a LOT of air so an 80 gallon 5-7hp compressor might be in the works.

You'll never regret getting a hydraulic, especially if you are a production shop. I got mine from Steve at Cobra, and I haven't regretted the bit of extra cost as it is sooooo fast.

Art

I hadn't seen that video, until now. Apparently, technical specs at tippman means you can cut little booties out of 6/8 leather, but not very fast. :)

Oh, that's the 1500 model ...

LOL! :rofl: It is faster than a ruler and a razor knife though.

...The largest is 24" long. I have been using a converted shop press but I am sick of the die either going too far through the leather into my cutting board or not far enough and having to cut again....I spend way too much time on the actual cutting. I need a real press. Just don't know if I need the huge shop swing arm machine. I will need to pay an electrician for wiring on one of those - it may be too much for my small shop anyway. Just don't want to buy a tippmann and find out I really needed the bigger machine.

If you're cutting 24" pieces, I don't think those models are what you're looking for. If it's just a matter of the cutting issues you're talkiing about, how about a dial guage or pressure limit switch? If you have a cutting board under the leather (or over, depending on which way you're cutting), then a dial would tell you how much the pressure needs to be to cut, and how much the pressure is when it's "through". Should be able to set your ram to "cut out" when you're through the leatherr ...

OR (where is my brain today???) you could bolt a steel block on the press bed (preferably, one in each corner to keep the ram balanced) so that it goes just into the mat, but won't go any further. Gives you a reliable "stop" point ...

Edited by JLSleather

I've had both the 7-ton and 15-ton Tippmann clickers. You do not want the 7-ton version. I used the 15-ton for everything - from 3 oz leather up to and including 14/15 oz leather. Cut right through the leather every time. Depending on the overall length of the die, I had a couple of dies where I had to cut essentially one-half and then move the die/leather over and cut the other half.

The 15-ton is quite heavy. We moved it the first time by taking the two pieces apart - took four guys. Thereafter, I used an engine lift. Wrapped an appropriate strength of chain around the c-shaped portion, jacked it up and lifted it right off the table. Rolled it to where it needed to be set next and dropped it (gingerly) right in place. Not a big deal IMO.

I had Tippmann's table for the clicker also. Worked great and never had an issue of any sort. Used a 60-gallon, 5-hp compressor.

If you're cutting 24" pieces, I don't think those models are what you're looking for. If it's just a matter of the cutting issues you're talkiing about, how about a dial guage or pressure limit switch? If you have a cutting board under the leather (or over, depending on which way you're cutting), then a dial would tell you how much the pressure needs to be to cut, and how much the pressure is when it's "through". Should be able to set your ram to "cut out" when you're through the leatherr ...

OR (where is my brain today???) you could bolt a steel block on the press bed (preferably, one in each corner to keep the ram balanced) so that it goes just into the mat, but won't go any further. Gives you a reliable "stop" point ...

Now that's an idea.....I may try the steel block on the press bed and see if I can get by with this press for a little longer!