George B

U.s. Made Saddle Building Materials

Monday this week I had my first western saddle order in quite some time, customer gave me the deposit and off I went ordering what I needed.

I've been doing gun leather for some time and always buy my leather and hardware that is US made, for gun leather items it is not too difficult.

After 2 days on the phone and the internet I now have everything shipping and it is all tanned and made right here in the good old USA.

At first I thought, "should be easy". Not so, the stainless steel hardware, especially the 3-way rigging plates and solid cast stainless Ds for the rear of the flat plate took two days to locate. Mostly I found China this, and China that, or it was brass or bronze and after the first day it became more of a quest.

Finally, after ordering from vendors I normally do not use I found everything I needed and it only took 5 orders from 5 separate vendors.

I start next week after everything arrives and when completed it will be 100% American Made! The best part is all the items only cost about 10% more than the Chinese made ones. And now I have suppliers with materials made right here in the US, although after all of this I can understand why others don't ask and don't tell.

My hat off to all those people I dealt with on the phone, they earned their pay.

George

Well, post your supplier list.

I have American made leather of course, and some of the larger saddle fitings like horns, stirrups and rigging. D's, buckels etc.. would be nice to add to the mix.

Dan

Well, post your supplier list.

I have American made leather of course, and some of the larger saddle fitings like horns, stirrups and rigging. D's, buckels etc.. would be nice to add to the mix.

Dan

Leather is W&C, I sure miss Siegel of California

Some hardware including D rings from Bork in Oregon

3-way rigging plates from Bowden trees

Flat plate rear rigging Ds from Weaver (horseshoe brand) I think I drove the lady crazy asking "US or China" every time)

Neoprene seat padding from Foam Factory

Flex tree and stirrup forms (replacing metal parts with SS made in the US from my local hardware store, special order of course) from Ralide (Customer's choice of tree)

and some misc. items from Springfield Leather. I do have to add that Jill at SLC was Fantastic!

Flat plate rear rigging Ds from Weaver (horseshoe brand) I think I drove the lady crazy asking "US or China" every time)

Flex tree and stirrup forms (replacing metal parts with SS made in the US from my local hardware store, special order of course) from Ralide (Customer's choice of tree)

and some misc. items from Springfield Leather. I do have to add that Jill at SLC was Fantastic!

Thanks,

Dan

Thank you for taking time to create demand for American Made goods. I wish I could find a crafter that makes brass and nickle plated buckles at a decent price.

Edited by Sylvia

without standing on a political soapbox might i just say::: i think all items for sale, be it a saddle, pad, bit, etc etc, the seller and or maker should STATE what it is made of!!!! then the buyer can make a decision (informed) as to what we are puttin our money in. i realize at my age good tack will outlast me but i hate CRAP!! i realize the strickly hobby rider might choose to buy on price and probably that decision comes also from not having a good knowlege of the difference between quality and Chinese CRAP! ALSO, please write me in for some political office (any) that will pay me a stupid salary !! LOL BILL

Sylvia,

If you ever do please let me know. I've looked and could never find any.

Thanks, Steve

Thank you for taking time to create demand for American Made goods. I wish I could find a crafter that makes brass and nickle plated buckles at a decent price.

Sylvia,

If you ever do please let me know. I've looked and could never find any.

Thanks, Steve

You got it. I know there is a wood worker here that does some pretty nice wood trophy style buckles. I think he goes by the "Buckle Guy" Sadly his stuff won't work for my applications. I used to know where there was a craftsman who did Guitar "bling" knobs and what not. But I've not located his site lately. I was thinking of asking him if he could make buckles. Another idea is finding a blacksmith but the cost may be prohibative... unless we can gang up and make a massive order.

I did find one manufacturer in RI... but I don't see a listing of their distributors.

http://www.philipmachine.com

Thanks, I'll check them out.

You got it. I know there is a wood worker here that does some pretty nice wood trophy style buckles. I think he goes by the "Buckle Guy" Sadly his stuff won't work for my applications. I used to know where there was a craftsman who did Guitar "bling" knobs and what not. But I've not located his site lately. I was thinking of asking him if he could make buckles. Another idea is finding a blacksmith but the cost may be prohibative... unless we can gang up and make a massive order.

I did find one manufacturer in RI... but I don't see a listing of their distributors.

http://www.philipmachine.com

Very nice! Thanks Sylvia. I wonder why they don't make belt pewter buckles.

found these Concho's made in USA.

http://www.ospreycon...er-Conchos.html

Very nice! Thanks Sylvia. I wonder why they don't make belt pewter buckles.

I suppose we can ask. They may not have thought about it before and if they perceive a market they might tool up to do it for us.

I know that I prefer brass and nickle to pewter... but if we can get them started perhaps it might be worth our while. I watched their video and it certainly looks like they have the equipment.

Pewter is not strong enough for good belt buckles. It is only good for light load items like conchos that have no pull on them.

I suppose we can ask. They may not have thought about it before and if they perceive a market they might tool up to do it for us.

I know that I prefer brass and nickle to pewter... but if we can get them started perhaps it might be worth our while. I watched their video and it certainly looks like they have the equipment.

Pewter is not strong enough for good belt buckles. It is only good for light load items like conchos that have no pull on them.

Yes, I just read that. (Google is my very good friend.)

Still I think if they have a foundry for pewter... couldn't they do brass as well? Or would that require more heat?

Yes, I just read that. (Google is my very good friend.)

Still I think if they have a foundry for pewter... couldn't they do brass as well? Or would that require more heat?

The pewter is very low temp. some will almost melt by a match.

Brass is around 1500 to 1800f. for casting temp.

Need different equipment to do the melting. The molds need to be better also.

100.00 to melt pewter, and 5000.00 for the equipment with brass.

The pewter is very low temp. some will almost melt by a match.

Brass is around 1500 to 1800f. for casting temp.

Need different equipment to do the melting. The molds need to be better also.

100.00 to melt pewter, and 5000.00 for the equipment with brass.

Ah.... that's kind of like the difference between Ceramic Stoneware firing and Raku firing.

Still, it couldn't hurt to ask them if they would consider it.

Give Boise Foundry a call. I know their saddle fittings are nice and priced well. They don't list any buckles other than cinch buckles but they do say they will make anything you want. Your idea of reasonable and their's may not coincide but that's life.

http://www.boisefoundry.com

Dan

Was it Weavers who said the Horseshoe Brand is US made?

I have some Horse Shoe brand buckles I bought from Weavers. They are nice buckles but the packaging says made in China.

Dan

Thanks for the Boise Foundry info. When I have a moment I'll give them a call