watersnake

Sheriden Tools

G'day from Australia ,I'm about to start learning to do sheridan style carving , I have a few tools for general carving but I want to buy a few basic tools for sheridan style . Could someone tell me which craftools and the numbers I would need to start with ..

I have a book on order to learn from ..Is there a basic kit of tools for sheridan style like the lucky 7 for general carving..

Thanks guys Ron Mackenzie , Australia

I would strongly recommend you to email Barry King and ask for recommendations.

I was on a very tight budget myself, but knowing that Craftools would be a waste of money, I gave Barry my budget, and he took his recommended tool list from the site and whittled it down to fit my budget.

The tools are worth every cent I spent on it.

Besides the crisp impressions, there is also another practical consideration. I practise whenever I have spare time, and in between these sessions, the Craftools just corrodes away. With Barry's stainless steel tools, I don't have to worry about my stamping tools corroding.

I was on a very tight budget myself, but knowing that Craftools would be a waste of money, I gave Barry my budget, and he took his recommended tool list from the site and whittled it down to fit my budget.

Besides the crisp impressions, there is also another practical consideration. I practise whenever I have spare time, and in between these sessions, the Craftools just corrodes away. With Barry's stainless steel tools, I don't have to worry about my stamping tools corroding.

thank you kindly Do you know his addy mate ..

When you contact Barry King....ask them for the Sheridan Tooling Starter set. They had them at the last show I went to.

Here's his site. http://www.barrykingtools.com/ Just let him know the size of the carvings you intend to do. Wallets, bags or coasters, etc. Then he can recommend the sizes.

Or check this http://www.barryking...om/sizelist.htm

Thank you kindly the emails on the way

When you contact Barry King....ask them for the Sheridan Tooling Starter set. They had them at the last show I went to.

Thank you kindly the emails on the way

My 2 cents worth.....

Aside from the better quality (and Barry King's tools are excellent, I love them!) another difference is that the Sheridan style tools are a little different than what you can get with Tandy. Bevelers have a steeper angle to them that makes them easier to use in tight areas. The veiners I use are much thinner than what is available from Tandy, again lending them to use in tight or compact tooling. My bargrounders have much smaller holes than the old Tany ones my wife has, and I'm not even sure what kind of bargrounder is available from Tandy right now. Also, there are a couple of tools like the leaf liner and the center shader that Tandy doesn't currently make. You can certainly make good floral designs with the Tandy tools, but to do true Sheridan style it's hard to do without the specialized ones. I would be lost without my Barry King bevelers.

I have heard rumors that Tandy is going to release Sheridan style tools, but they haven't shown up in my nearby store yet.

Hope this helps,

Bob

My 2 cents worth.....

Aside from the better quality (and Barry King's tools are excellent, I love them!) another difference is that the Sheridan style tools are a little different than what you can get with Tandy. Bevelers have a steeper angle to them that makes them easier to use in tight areas. The veiners I use are much thinner than what is available from Tandy, again lending them to use in tight or compact tooling. My bargrounders have much smaller holes than the old Tany ones my wife has, and I'm not even sure what kind of bargrounder is available from Tandy right now. Also, there are a couple of tools like the leaf liner and the center shader that Tandy doesn't currently make. You can certainly make good floral designs with the Tandy tools, but to do true Sheridan style it's hard to do without the specialized ones. I would be lost without my Barry King bevelers.

I have heard rumors that Tandy is going to release Sheridan style tools, but they haven't shown up in my nearby store yet.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Thanks Bob

I have had no response from my email , Do you or anyone have some way of contacting Barry King's tools

Thank you Ron

I would try the ads at the very top. He is a sponsor on this site. If not...here you go!

Barry King Tools

1751 Terra Avenue

Sheridan, WY 82801

Business 307.672.5657

Fax 307.673.8588

Email: kingtool@fiberpipe.net

Edited by King's X

I would try the ads at the very top. He is a sponsor on this site. If not...here you go!

Barry King Tools

1751 Terra Avenue

Sheridan, WY 82801

Business 307.672.5657

Fax 307.673.8588

Email: kingtool@fiberpipe.net

Thank you to Reddevil76 , Bob Blea , ands KingsX for you help and advice on the tools I have contacted Barry King and have arranged for a tool kit !! Job Done

Ron

Don't forget to post pictures! Good luck mate!

Hi!

I've got a set of cheap chinese tools for general carving at the moment, however, I need to expand my stamp collection to be able to do smaller work. I know that good tools are always better, but as I'm on a tight budget and I paying 3 times more for each stamp is a bit steep... Is there much difference between Barry King's bevellers and cheap bevellers (or, say, stops) or is it possible to save on some tools and go for cheaper alternatives at least for the fist couple of years?

I guess I'll just wait a bit and then buy proper tools but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Thanks!

I've got a set of cheap chinese tools for general carving at the moment, however, I need to expand my stamp collection to be able to do smaller work. I know that good tools are always better, but as I'm on a tight budget and I paying 3 times more for each stamp is a bit steep... Is there much difference between Barry King's bevellers and cheap bevelers (or, say, stops) or is it possible to save on some tools and go for cheaper alternatives at least for the fist couple of years?

I have a lot of tools, many/most are Barry King. I started buying a few years ago and buy a few every time I get the chance. In my opinion, if you are on a tight budget and can only afford a few tools I would buy bevelers. The quality is vastly different on all tools, but I think the biggest difference is on bevelers. The are angled better and shaped better (the small subtle differences are what it is all about).

My other suggestion is to not get too carried away buying junk tools. Buy no more than you absolutely must buy. You are waisting your money on them. You can not save money by waisting it. 10 quality tools is far better than having 100 junk tools. If you want to learn how to tool, using tools that make your finished work look like poo is not the way to motivate/learn/pride yourself in leather tooling.

Aaron

Another option which I have found helpful to get a wide array of tools is to look through the books find the names and check ebay. You can find antique tools and tool "lots" that you can really score on. I've gotten 4 - 5 different tools of the same type that I now use for different flowers or vines.

Does anyone know how much Barry's Sheridan tool set cost?

I just paid $400 for a beginners kit of 17 tools and very happy ! He also shipped them to Australia for me .

Ron

Buy Barry King. Simple, cry once and be happy for the rest of your life. His tools are, will, make you explore new things, within yourself..........Maybe not, but they are very very good..

Aaron,

Just wanted to say thanks for suggesting to buy BKs. They really are worth the price!

Aaron,

Just wanted to say thanks for suggesting to buy BKs. They really are worth the price!

Thank you. It is really hard to convince people that such small shape changes make a night and day differance in the quality of the finished work.

I just wanted to post on here a thought of mine, I have been toolin' for 5 months and am thankful for TLF having inexpensive tools so that I could try out my new hobby at a reduced expense. I was at the southwest leather show and spent a bunch of money on Barry King tools and the level that my work has gone up is well noticed among friends and customers.

I am just learning so most of my stuff has been "free" to friends+family. The money that i have made on leathercrafts i put right back into my "habit account" that could just be made payable to Barry King!

Thanks to TLF for starting my new passion, and Barry King and Bob Beard for tools that my 5 year old son will still be using when I can't see to tool anymore!

I just wanted to post on here a thought of mine, I have been toolin' for 5 months and am thankful for TLF having inexpensive tools so that I could try out my new hobby at a reduced expense. I was at the southwest leather show and spent a bunch of money on Barry King tools and the level that my work has gone up is well noticed among friends and customers.

I am just learning so most of my stuff has been "free" to friends+family. The money that i have made on leathercrafts i put right back into my "habit account" that could just be made payable to Barry King!

Thanks to TLF for starting my new passion, and Barry King and Bob Beard for tools that my 5 year old son will still be using when I can't see to tool anymore!

I just got a handful (9) stamping tools from Clay Miller. I am so pleased. He is awesome to work with. His tools are reasonably priced. Hope more leather crafters will give him a try. I really don't think you will be disappointed. Ken

Edited by Ken Nelson

Watersnake, I am new to SHeridan and I too have been looking for a starter tool set. I am close to Springfield leather and was really considering buying a starter set from them. Everyone seems to be in agreenment that BK tools are better than Tandy. Does that include SL tools or are they the same that Tandy sell?? The prices at SL are in the $20 range. I looked on BK's site and his tools all show in the $50 range, however your 17 tool set for $400 comes out in the $20 range. Does he have a lower price for buying complete sets?? or am I missing something??

I myself also have a lot of Barry's tools, just living around an hour and a half. The impressions from his tools are crisp and clean, for the money they are well worth it. Barry's Tools range from anywhere in the 15 dollar range on up to 60 dollars for the custom basket stamps. However, most of his tools are in the 20 - 35 dollar range. My suggestion to you is to give Barry a call and talk to him about what you are looking for. Barry's customer service is top notch and he will be the best to assist you in your endeavors, if indeed you would like to get Barry King Stamping tools.

Edited by BarryS

I just got a handful (9) stamping tools from Clay Miller. I am so pleased. He is awesome to work with. His tools are reasonably priced. Hope more leather crafters will give him a try. I really don't think you will be disappointed. Ken

I second the recommendation on Clay Miller tools. I have replaced all my bevelers along with some specialty bevelers and some custom stamps. Great customer service and quick turnaround.