Steve Brewer

Pointed skirts

IMG_0242.JPG[i have been getting some orders for pointed skirts on saddles.Kind of thinking it's a trend.Is anyone else taking these type of orders?I like building them,but they take more time fitting and use more materials.

post-6829-1215107980_thumb.jpg

They seem to run in cycles. Round skirts for a while then square then pointed, etc. People also seem to buy what they see and when you have something different for them to see, they seem to buy the "new" model. I'm not making any more than usual. Keith

Not an answer, but another question. I have seen a couple of saddles with the skirts so long and pointed so far back that I wondered if they would interfere with a horse bending on a sharp turn by poking him in the hip with that point. Have you ever found this to be a real problem or what do you do to alleviate it?

Howdy Steve,

Nice lookin rig you made there. I think Keith hit the nail right on the head, people buy what they see.

For example, I did not hardly make any saddles with eight button seats and exposed leathers for a long time, then I made up a spec saddle with them and all of a sudden I start getting orders for them. I think the potential customers see a saddle you just made and they like what they see so they order something similar.

Steve

I have been doing quite a few square pointed skirts lately as well. I try to talk them into a corner rounded like a dime instead of the full point but some want the point. Steve is right when he says people want what they see. The ugliest saddle I ever built was a pine cone and pine needle stamp job and while I was working on it a customer ordered a rig with the same type of carve job. Yuk. Greg

Greg, sounds like the oak leaf phase I went through when I started out on my own. Went through the same phases with San Carlos and barbed wire borders.

Greg, sounds like the oak leaf phase I went through when I started out on my own. Went through the same phases with San Carlos and barbed wire borders.

Elton,I don't mind the same carving patterns .Been carving Calif. wild rose and acorn patterns for 30 yrs.Now I am getting pointed skirts on ruff-outs,basket stamped,and carved saddles.Maybe a person needs to charge a little more for them.

Steve