bd797

7-34 And 97-10

I have found both a 7-34 and a 97-10. Mostly just need some small cleaning and some adjustments best I can tell. The 7-34 is complete with table and motor. 97-10 is head only. Would 1200$ be a good price for these two machines? How difficult is it to still find parts for these?

Edited by bd797

I have found both a 7-34 and a 97-10. Mostly just need some small cleaning and some adjustments best I can tell. The 7-34 is complete with table and motor. 97-10 is head only. Would 1200$ be a good price for these two machines? How difficult is it to still find parts for these?

Parts are very hard to find in good condition. Bob Kovar, owner of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, has some parts for these ancient beasts, as does Gregg, at Keystone Sewing.

Needles may be the hardest parts to replace.

All parts are available for the Singer 7-34 to keep it running, for sure.

Needles for both machines are available.

Singer 97-10 parts, each and everyone of them, are discontinued and no longer available. Maybe some screws, but even the hook and race are no longer available new.

All parts are available for the Singer 7-34 to keep it running, for sure.

Needles for both machines are available.

Singer 97-10 parts, each and everyone of them, are discontinued and no longer available. Maybe some screws, but even the hook and race are no longer available new.

What size leather point needles you have available for the 97-10?

What size leather point needles you have available for the 97-10?

97X3 (standard sharp, spear, accute point) are limited sizes.

97X4 (Narrow wedge or diamond) may not be avaible, I'll cotact my multiple needle suppliers on Monday and find find whats out there.

Greg,

I hope you can find some needles for the 97's because I can't.

Bob

Greg,

Bob

Bob,

Not promising anything, I'll report on Monday after making some calls, either way.

Gregg

Cheers!

Greg,

Bob

Here is what I found, so far;

-I have a few hundred, at the moment, avilable to me 97X3 size 30, NM330

-I have, in my possesion, broken up boxes under 100 of 97X4-25 NM200 Reverse Twist; Standard sharp/spear/accute point 97X3-24 NM180, Standard/spear/accute point 97X3-27 NM250

-I also have 97XS2 size 25 NM250, that appear to be a narrow wedge, very limited on these

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Here is what I found, so far;

-I have a few hundred, at the moment, avilable to me 97X3 size 30, NM330

-I have, in my possesion, old stock broken up boxes under qty. of 100 of; 97X4-25 NM200 Reverse Twist; Standard sharp/spear/accute point 97X3-24 NM180; Standard/spear/accute point 97X3-27 NM250

*Upon futher review, this appears to be the only needles I can get in this system, with no others on the horzion, but at least it's somthing here.

Hi Greg and all

I talked to your Father a few years back and someone we both know had cleared out most of the needles.

Actually that buyer is a quite helpful guy [no animosity in my comment]

here is what I found in 2008

Groz Beckert in Germany had a number of 97x3 [roundpoint for cloth ,webbing]

quantities they had ~ 3 years ago were.....

sku :703762 97x3 size 250 [27] Available 3,800 needles

sku: 702412 97x3 size 280 [28] Available 8,100 needles

sku: 703772 97x3 size 300 [29] Available 2,100 needles

Price Sept/2008 : 109 Euro/100 [Germany].

do you have any Singer 97 machine stuff left?

yes I did see a new hook [complete] for sale in the US, but it was sooo expensive I didn't inquire if it was still actually available.

Hi Greg and all

I talked to your Father a few years back and someone we both know had cleared out most of the needles.

do you have any Singer 97 machine stuff left?

yes I did see a new hook [complete] for sale in the US, but it was sooo expensive I didn't inquire if it was still actually available.

Gordon,

This post makes my day (morning at least!). Glad to see you spoke with my father (Lenny) about this kind of stuff. He's forgotten more about these heavy machines than I know, but at least I have him in my back pocket in case anything comes up! Have no fears, my Dad would not let me into this trade without knowing something about this stuff, do doubt.

As for 97-10s, YES, we have a few, at least one laying around here. I don't know the condition as I type this, but they are at arms length away, and can always check them out, send images, whatever people want if interested.

Anybody who has been around this type of heavy stitching equipment and has never seen a 97-10, well, it's certainly a conversation piece.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Just for kicks I want to let you guys see a 98-3,which is similar to a 97-10 in many ways just smaller & alot easier to load.It was made for sewing tires when you recap them.Of course this was in 1915.It does have reverse though.

Bob

post-7185-066113400 1330440128_thumb.jpg

Just for kicks I want to let you guys see a 98-3,which is similar to a 97-10 in many ways just smaller & alot easier to load.It was made for sewing tires when you recap them.Of course this was in 1915.It does have reverse though.

Bob

Bob,

When my father bought out the reserach and development dept. at Singer in Elizibethport, NJ when before they closed, and this was one of them, a Singer 122-1. This collecion of machies was nothing special really, just bits and pieces for the most part, but it did include a machine of note, brand new, minus hook and race. We have since sold it, so it's long gone, but intresting to speak about.

Just to give some idea of the size, this machine, as seen in the attached image, weights 326LBS, HEAD ONLY! The shafts look like drive axels, and the mosting inresting thing is the massive hook saddle, that goes to and fro, back and forth as the machine sews a zig zag sitch.

My personal favorite we had here for less than a day was a factory long arm Adler 266. This machine was just a thing of beauty, the engenering, the quality, the clean lines, overbuilt bed.

Singer122-1.JPG

Bob,

When my father bought out the reserach and development dept. at Singer in Elizibethport, NJ when before they closed, and this was one of them, a Singer 122-1. This collecion of machies was nothing special really, just bits and pieces for the most part, but it did include a machine of note, brand new, minus hook and race. We have since sold it, so it's long gone, but intresting to speak about.

Just to give some idea of the size, this machine, as seen in the attached image, weights 326LBS, HEAD ONLY! The shafts look like drive axels, and the mosting inresting thing is the massive hook saddle, that goes to and fro, back and forth as the machine sews a zig zag sitch.

My personal favorite we had here for less than a day was a factory long arm Adler 266. This machine was just a thing of beauty, the engenering, the quality, the clean lines, overbuilt bed.

Hi Gregg, I'd be interested to find out when this happened. When did Singer stop being the leading industrial sewing machine manufacturer?

Neil

Hi Gregg, I'd be interested to find out when this happened. When did Singer stop being the leading industrial sewing machine manufacturer?

Neil

Neil,

Clearly before my time, but I would think Singer stoped being the compmany, domestically, it the US, that it was when both thier Elizibeth, NJ and Bridgeport, CT factories closed. Of course, Singer opend factories in Germany, England, and other places as well, but no way were they pumping out machines like they were in the US, not even close. Just look at the catalogs. People don't realize the scope and scale of thier manufactering and standardizing of industrial equipment. Some of our best selling most popular models we sell would be discontiuned for lack of demand during that time.

Greg,

I've never heard of that model 122 I always thought the 47K was the heaviest ZZ machine they made of course back in the day any manufacture of certain products would go to Singer & their engineers would draw up & they would make a speclized machine for sewing anything that needed sewing.

I wished I kept track of them more but yrs ago we had a customer with some I think 5 class real long double needle machines w/a puller.If you want to hear something that sounded neat those machine had the nicest rattle,klang to them I've ever heard.

Oh,I forgot to mention this before, I think it was around 1983-84 I stopped @ your store & bought a couple of 6 class from your Dad,they were upstairs.Don't see many of them around anymore either.

Bob

Greg,

I've never heard of that model 122 I always thought the 47K was the heaviest ZZ machine they made of course back in the day any manufacture of certain products would go to Singer & their engineers would draw up & they would make a speclized machine for sewing anything that needed sewing.

I wished I kept track of them more but yrs ago we had a customer with some I think 5 class real long double needle machines w/a puller.If you want to hear something that sounded neat those machine had the nicest rattle,klang to them I've ever heard.

Oh,I forgot to mention this before, I think it was around 1983-84 I stopped @ your store & bought a couple of 6 class from your Dad,they were upstairs.Don't see many of them around anymore either.

Bob

Bob,

Yes sir, we have one 6 class in for repair maybe ten years ago. If your around these machines for any bit of time, you don't forget certain models. The Singer 122-1 I think was here, it was tucked behind next to the steel shelving. Once you spoted it, you had to walk closer to see what the heck it was!

I wish I had it here just to look it over again, and take some photos.