Leatherbaron

Home Made Motorized Edge Burnisher

Got fed up doing the edges by hand, had no money to buy a production model edge burnisher

so I made this one out of scraps... it worked like a charm.

1. Used a electric washing machine motor to drive it - strapped to a piece of scrap metal for a bracket

2. direct drive through a broken hand grinder head stock end bit

3. connected an old drill chuck to the end of it

4. got a friend with wood turning machine to turn this wooden burnisher edger

5. connected wood burnisher to the chuck with a bolt straight into the drill chuck

and away it went , good as gold.

Shit this could be a commercial idea..... ok you guys dont look. ( C ) Terry O'Brien 2012

Regards

The LEATHERBARON

Terry O'Brien

post-28540-081622400 1330875845_thumb.jp

post-28540-045307800 1330875871_thumb.jp

Got fed up doing the edges by hand, had no money to buy a production model edge burnisher

so I made this one out of scraps... it worked like a charm.

1. Used a electric washing machine motor to drive it - strapped to a piece of scrap metal for a bracket

2. direct drive through a broken hand grinder head stock end bit

3. connected an old drill chuck to the end of it

4. got a friend with wood turning machine to turn this wooden burnisher edger

5. connected wood burnisher to the chuck with a bolt straight into the drill chuck

and away it went , good as gold.

Shit this could be a commercial idea..... ok you guys dont look. ( C ) Terry O'Brien 2012

Regards

The LEATHERBARON

Terry O'Brien

I think I'll keep using my hand sander with a cloth velcroed on, LOL. Unless all those land on my steps with the help to ;put it together. But it is cool.

Great use of salvage. If it was me I would cut the plate smaller it is mounted to so that you could work off the back side of the wheel and not have to support the leather over the top.

Aaron

A very smart idea!

I've not thought about motorizing the process. I'll have to make an insert for either a drill or a lathe as I find it a bit tricky doing it by hand.

Very nice! Definetely on my list of to do projects. I'm thinking I've got a cheap grinder that would serve this purpose nicely and would probably work with its own motor.

That's cool I wonder how it would work mounted vertical with a movable table top one that could be adjusted to the same height as the notch. You could even add a second wheel that could add resistance something spring loaded, maybe ever a wheel on either side to keep the material flat if you were just doing straps. How fast does the motor turn 1500 rpms maybe would it work beater if it ran slower?

That's cool I wonder how it would work mounted vertical with a movable table top one that could be adjusted to the same height as the notch. You could even add a second wheel that could add resistance something spring loaded, maybe ever a wheel on either side to keep the material flat if you were just doing straps. How fast does the motor turn 1500 rpms maybe would it work beater if it ran slower?

Because it is a washing machine motor it runs real slow and good speed....

Leatherbaron :-)>

Holy crap, MacGuyver!

When the zombies come, can I hang out with you?