Tree Reaper

Cb 4500 Bobbin Winding

Is there a video of this somewhere?

Thanks.

Kevin

Edited by Tree Reaper

Kevin their easy to wind. Put thread through the hole in the bobbin leave a tail sticking out turn the bobbin toward you a few turns, stick it on the shaft put the leaver down and sew the lever will pop up when the bobbin is full. On a couple of bobbins i have i need to take the tail coming out of the bobbin and slide the tail in slit on shaft and start sewing.

I'm at the point where you wind the bobbin a few turns, is that clockwise or counter clockwise?

The illustration shows the thread coming off the bottom of the spindle on the bobbin, is this correct?

post-19342-094000500 1330987602_thumb.jp

Wind it a few times then put the end through the hole in the bobbin?

This is where I'm at now, does this look correct?

post-19342-031162200 1330988155_thumb.jp

Does the sewing machine need to be running, I think it does but do you disengage something to keep the needle from going up and down?

My only complaint is with the instructions, the machine is operating better than the operator.

Bobs video on threading the machine is great and I was hoping there was one on winding the bobbin.

Edited by Tree Reaper

OK! hahaha!, I had the same concern.

Don't worry, it spins in the right direction. You cannot do it wrong. Put the thread through the hole, hold it "gently" while starting, and just wind. The direction is not important at all. The only time the direction is important is when you put the bobbin into the holder. Maker sure it's to the RIGHT.

Also be sure to put the bobbin holder back into the closed position before winding, and change your speed setting to HIGH for the winder to work properly. THEN make sure to change your speed setting to SLOW, after you wind the bobbin.

Takes awhile to get the routine down. Easy after that!

Those are the OPERATOR ERRORS I made.

Kevin

change your speed setting to HIGH for the winder to work properly

That's something else I didn't know.

I'm winding a spare bobbin so can I leave a loaded bobbin in the holder and leave the needle threaded?

The way you it in the picture is right just push the lever down. Wind it counter clockwise. When i have a empty bobbin i fill it while i'm sewing something else. It will stop on it's on when full.You can leave up there till you need it.

Edited by dirtclod

TreeReaper;

You should remove the thread from the needle before winding a new bobbin, except if you wind it as you sew. When I sew a big run of straps I start a new bobbin while I am sewing the straps. After so many are sewn the bobbin load detector will pop up and disengage the bobbin driver wheel.

If I'm not sewing anything and want to load a bobbin, I always de-thread the needle!

This video may help (bobbin winding and threading instructions):

Cheers,

Ron @ TechSew

Ok, two birds nests later I have the bobbin loaded.

I had to keep tension on the thread with my fingers and it loaded up.

The instructions say to raise the presser foot by the hand lifter, I'm not sure why because the foot started coming down when I started the machine so I released the lever and lowered the foot.

My question now is can you damage the machine by running it with the lever raised?

post-19342-054155200 1330997374_thumb.jp

Ron, that's excellent.

Thanks for that.

I missed running the thread around the wheel and that's probably where I lost some tension causing the birds nests.

I find the written instructions very brief and vague for someone that has never operated a machine before.

post-19342-047941700 1330998148_thumb.jp

I missed running the thread around the wheel and that's probably where I lost some tension causing the birds nests.

I find the written instructions very brief and vague for someone that has never operated a machine before.

Don't worry, it's not just you. They are brief and vague. The only reason I got as far with my 7441 is because I went in with a lot of familiarity with different machines already. If that'd been my first machine and the instructions were all I had, I'd have been completely lost.

There's definitely a market for a well-written 441 operators manual, that's for sure.