Sylvia

Belt Holes Ugg

I swear, I'll measure and measure again... punch the cotton-picking hole and it's off... just a hair. But enough that I can see it. Uggh.

So I've been thinking that I need a better system. I have an idea but I want to know how you folks manage to get the spacing and centering just right.

I usually measure it side to side to get center then poke it with an awl to mark it.

The last belt I made I could still see the divider line down the center and used that.

I usually measure it side to side to get center then poke it with an awl to mark it.

The last belt I made I could still see the divider line down the center and used that.

Sounds like what I've been doing. Hmmm....

I swear, I'll measure and measure again... punch the cotton-picking hole and it's off... just a hair. But enough that I can see it. Uggh.

So I've been thinking that I need a better system. I have an idea but I want to know how you folks manage to get the spacing and centering just right.

Are there any other ideas?

If you were using dividers and the leather varied in width, that would throw your marks off center.

If you send an email to Weaver Leather Co, . . . explain it all to them, . . . they may still be marketing a little tool they had up there a year or so ago.

It literally "centered" your punch for you on various widths of belts, straps, whatever. I looked at it, . . . decided that if my eyes ever got bad enough, . . . I'd make me one of them.

May God bless,

Dwight

You could make a pattern with your holes in it in the different widths and mark your holes with it. If their wrong you can make another pattern.

You could make a pattern with your holes in it in the different widths and mark your holes with it. If their wrong you can make another pattern.

I did make a pattern, since the straps are typically a fixed width, but.... when I mark the spots where the holes are supposed to go. Well what happens is when I go to set my punch as careful as I am... I still seem to get it off some house.... to close to me... to far back. So instead of 1 inch apart.... one will be an inch and 1/16th or so apart from the previous one. UGG that is what driving me crazy.

If you send an email to Weaver Leather Co, . . . explain it all to them, . . . they may still be marketing a little tool they had up there a year or so ago.

It literally "centered" your punch for you on various widths of belts, straps, whatever. I looked at it, . . . decided that if my eyes ever got bad enough, . . . I'd make me one of them.

May God bless,

Dwight

that sounds like what I need. I've been thinking about how to make one with a rack and pinion set of gears.

thanks Dwight.

I measure the middle and then measure over from the previous hole and place the punch edge on the mark not try to center the punch over the mark. but maybe a hole fixture like they use in woodworking could be made for this...

Just put the hole you made over the pin and the guide holds the punch at the right distance.

Belt hole fixture.bmp

Edited by TTcustom

I have several leather templates of various widths and hole spacing. Once you have a template that is "perfect" you can clamp it to your new belt and punch it out.

I measure the middle and then measure over from the previous hole and place the punch edge on the mark not try to center the punch over the mark. but maybe a hole fixture like they use in woodworking could be made for this...

Just put the hole you made over the pin and the guide holds the punch at the right distance.

That's an interesting and elegant idea. My issue is that because I use a tandy strap cutter my 1.5 inches sometimes ends up as 1.52 inches. Just a hair wider.... so I have to measure carefully to get center line.

Then it all goes to hell when I measure out 1 inch intervals and try to punch holes that way.

Ideally I would have a "self centering tool" that all I have to do is slide the sides to meet the edges of the belt. The center line would have open holes at the right distance... all I would have to do is drill or punch in the hole. Does that make sense. I can see it in my head but drawing it would take too much time at the moment. That is where the rack and pinion would come in... you've seen them on printers and fax machines on the input tray... the self centering device that holds the paper straight.

You could make this out of wood or plexiglass. the important thing is to make pins the same distance from the center hole. All pretty exact but it will then self center on any width belt. Someone hand could make one with no problems it is dirt simple elegant solution to get centered regardless of width. They sell these at woodworker supply. Here is the link to it.

post-11332-006228300 1331080388_thumb.jp

Edited by TTcustom

TTCustom that is good. Let's go one step further. How about we add another piece, (section) to your design. Add a hole the same punch diameter at attach it at the hole center line with a bolt so it can swivel. You could use the front part to stamp hole #1, then put the swivel part over hole one, pin it with another punch. Then swivel the front end to find center for the next hole which is exactley 1" away and on center. I need to draw this up.

Edit. Actually after thinking about this, you could use two center finding jigs attached by a center link to give you the preffered distance from hole to hole to hoel. In this case 1" Both would swivel independantly and be on the same center line.

Edited by Bluesman

TTCustom that is good. Let's go one step further. How about we add another piece, (section) to your design. Add a hole the same punch diameter at attach it at the hole center line with a bolt so it can swivel. You could use the front part to stamp hole #1, then put the swivel part over hole one, pin it with another punch. Then swivel the front end to find center for the next hole which is exactley 1" away and on center. I need to draw this up.

Edit. Actually after thinking about this, you could use two center finding jigs attached by a center link to give you the preffered distance from hole to hole to hoel. In this case 1" Both would swivel independantly and be on the same center line.

Seems like I have sparked the interest of a couple engineers. GOOD!!

Now here is what I was talking about. This is the input tray form my fax machine. I'm thinking two of these rack and pinion sets on a piece of acrylic then put it on top of the leather that needs holes, slide the rack and pinion mechanism to center..... then have drill guides like the dowel jig... down the center line. It would/could handle strap sizes up to 8 inches wide.... that would help me a lot.

post-26936-072689900 1331086926_thumb.jp

post-26936-045652500 1331086996_thumb.jp

Sylvia, . . . this is the tool I told you about.

Weaver's part number is a 65-6185 and my catalog says $35.

As you can see, . . . it adjusts to whatever width the belt or strap is, . . . centers the hole, . . . and you can use the little steel length gauge to set the spacing on the holes too.

I do all mine by hand, . . . but may have one of these in my future.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-056332100 1331090295_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dwight

Sylvia, . . . this is the tool I told you about.

Weaver's part number is a 65-6185 and my catalog says $35.

As you can see, . . . it adjusts to whatever width the belt or strap is, . . . centers the hole, . . . and you can use the little steel length gauge to set the spacing on the holes too.

I do all mine by hand, . . . but may have one of these in my future.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight, I really appreciate your taking time to look that up for me.... but I just don't have .05 cents let alone $35. Just spent my last $25 on LAST month's car payment. It came due again on the 1st and all but 2 of my bills are past due. Yay... economy! To top it all off I have misplaced my wallet IN MY HOUSE.... can't find it anywhere. <faints>

I will keep this in mind though... it's very much like what TT and Blues were talking about.... That is an option too... but. I need to be able to adjust beyond the standard widths. The one you so graciously shared doesn't look like it would do a 3-4 inches wide either.

Weaver says it will work from 1/2 to 3 inch straps.

How many belts are you doing these days? Is it something that is keeping you from production?

May God bless,

Dwight

Weaver says it will work from 1/2 to 3 inch straps.

How many belts are you doing these days? Is it something that is keeping you from production?

May God bless,

Dwight

Not belts guitar straps well, belts too actually. And Yeah It's kind of something that folks would balk at if they see it. Especially when I make them pay a premium for these straps. I timed myself with this last one, taking my time measuring... hoping for the best.... over a half an hour and it still is off by a hair on two holes and two more was 1 1/16" apart instead of 1 inch" (grumble grumble)

Redid that strap and the next one was about the same only different. :D

I do like this tool though... it's on a list.

And Yeah It's kind of something that folks would balk at if they see it. Especially when I make them pay a premium for these straps.

Can / will you share a sample, . . . it may be easier to visualize and/or suggest alternatives.

I'd like to see what you are working on if you wouldn't mind.

May God bless,

Dwight

this is what I use- hope that it helps.

I took a piece of posterboard, cut it to different widths for straps and belts, drew a line down the middle, and punched holes for 1". 1/2", 3/4" etc.

Place them on the desired strap width and spacing, push the hole punch into the leather to mark it, remove the paper, and punch the hole. This was especially helpful for those darned OVAL punches that never seemed to be right. Made oval holes too in the posterboard.

What exactly is going wrong with your hole spacing?

pete

post-26936-092328900 1331144701_thumb.jp

Can / will you share a sample, . . . it may be easier to visualize and/or suggest alternatives.

I'd like to see what you are working on if you wouldn't mind.

May God bless,

Dwight

This is one of the most recent "dang it, it's misaligned" ones.

Notice how some holes line up along the straight edge but one is glaringly off center. ... then if you can see past the glare, notice that not of them are exactly centered on 1 inch intervals.

So not only am I off center width wise... I am also not centering the punch on the "marks" This throws it all off. ....

Understand that some of my pieces also are not dead straight.... they may taper from 3.5 inches to 1.5 inches... that is why the jigs offered thusfar are helpful... but won't always work. So I need something that has centering features that are not relying on Pythagorean theory , like the belt jig and the dowel hole jig.

Also if I can get something made with the rack and pinion sets and make the throw wide enough I could center punch any thing my heart desires up to the maximum width of the tool No hassle, no aggrivation. Just place, zip the rack and pinion set to hold and center and have at it with the punch.

Edited by Sylvia

It sort of looks like you arent centering your punch on your marks. Have you tried placing your punch with hand pressure, then pulling it away to see if your mark is centered before you go ahead and punch it? Thats the only way I can get oval holes to look right .

Do what you show in your picture. punch your first hole and the last one. Then----leave your ruler across the bottom of the holes like in your picture and with the other hand, hand press the middle holes with your punch resting on the ruler. You need to allow for a TINY difference if your punch is thick or wide as the side MAY slide it up from the edge of the rule but hand press it and you can see it clearly before you hit it.

pete

Sometimes I feel like I need a speed square, the metal ruler, 5 bench clamps and a whole lot of praying to even get it close.

I'm going to have to make something that works for me I guess. It's just too easy for me to get off center in both directions. I had one I tossed out of disgust that had the center line angled... only slightly... but enough that it was visually unappealing and I had a "template" for that one. LOL

I need to find someone close to me that has the necessary tools and skills to do precision work that would be willing to make what I need for Beer and a Belt. lol

Thanks everyone for trying, I'll take your suggestions and see if I can do better without a special tool for now.

Sylvia,

You are way over thinking this. Sqaure, clamps ruler.......WOW. Go, get yourself a shot of good whiskey and work with me here.

Find for your first hole and mark it with an awl, so you can see it. Then locate you next hole the same way and on and on. Now look at them. Are the awl marks straight inline? If so punch em, if not move em. 1/16" off Center to center on a belt/strap hole to hole is nothing. It is far more obvious when they don't run in a straight line. If you really want them within .0000001 of an inch on center within .00001, get a laser. Now take another shot of good whiskey, and Jim Beam ain't it.

:grouphug5vj5: