well the family and i are on a weeks holiday on the mornington penisula in victoria. i took the laptop but the wireless internet that i have has no coverage here!!! everyone is having severe computer withdraw!!!! i am at the local library that has free internet so i can get a fix!!! i have found a few unsecured wireless internet connections in town, but i shouldnt do that should I? It is raining but the resort i am at has an indoor pool, squash, tennis, gym, so the kids are happy enough. Leathercat asked if i was taking my leatherwork with me, but i said i wouldnt!! (only because there wasnt enough room in the car!)

Back in a week...till then....i shall try and relax!

have a goodtime roo...take plenty of pics as i'm sure we'd all like to see;0) ...i'm lost without my puter...or maybe i'd get more done??

enjoy :cheers:

darryl

Edited by sodapop

ummmm....

Some of my friends think that connecting to an unsecured ISP/router is akin to stealing bandwidth.

Some of my friends feel that if you have the technical savvy to use a wireless router, or have the sense to have someone set up a wireless router if you don't, then you should be aware that broadcast signal reaches fairly far. If you don't want someone riding your bandwidth, use the security settings on the router.

I agree with my friends.

However, accessing a secure router through nefarious means (aka hacking), in my opinion, is wrong.

If you are using someone's unsecured connection (piggybacking) it could be said that they wanted to share it, or they would have locked it down. I wouldn't do anything "sensitive" on a piggybacked connection- like check banking info etc. Regular surfing and email doesn't use much bandwidth, so they'll likely never notice a slowdown because of your connection. So far, most courts are putting the onus on the owner of the network- lock it or don't complain about someone "stealing" it.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful vacation...sounds like you picked a great place to go to "get away". Have fun!

Johanna