Sign in to follow this  
gnomecraft

Fly Rod Tubes!

hey gang,

i've been watching these forums for a long time, but relatively new to posting here! i've recently got the fly fishing bug, and need to make a slick rod tube. sure i could go to cabelas and buy one, but what's the fun in that? i have a nice side of veg tan, but i'm looking at internal structure. i know aluminum or brass, even pvc is used in some cases, but they can also be expensive. i while i was at work today, i had an epiphany: how about a heavy wiegh cardboard tube? you know the buggers, about .125 thick, strong and heavy and the like. could i use this as an internal tube? i've worked in industrial areas my entire working life, and know what happens to metal when something falls on it (read:steel toe boot caps), and i'd hate to see that happen to my fly rod. logically speaking, the cardboard tube would provide enough structural integrity, but have some give if any impact would come across it, and not harm its contents after the fact, and it would be pretty cost effective. any thoughts?

And of course you know that cardboard gets mushy when wet. So an accidental soaking would take a long time to dry out. Maybe if dipped in varnish or something similar would keep it from soaking up water as long as the varnish didn't get scraped or cracked.

I'd look at a piece of PVC or ABS or similar pipe at your local big box store. The stuff used for central vacuums is quite light as compared to stuff for sewer and water systems.

CTG

I'm a closet fly fisherman myself and a leather cover rod tube is a great idea. If I was going to build one (and I just might have to!) I'd want the inside core to be thin, light and strong. I just went to the Amazon link about and another ad showed up that, for me looks like just the ticket. They are clear plastic tubes and come in all kinds of sizes, (diameters,) and thicknesses. I tried to add the link here but something's not working. The name of the co. is Clear Tec. Google that name and clear plastic tubes and you should be able to find it. There is a heavy duty tube that comes in 48" length and several large diameters. That looks like just the ticket to me. In looking at their photos, I have seen these kinds of tubes in much smaller sizes at Home Depot, sold to put small parts and things in, they have vinyl caps that slip on. Check those out. One thing I didn't see what the price or minimum order?

Bill

I've been flyfishing for over 30 years and have built alot of custom rods with tubes remember the tubes job is to protect the rod ,beauty is secondary. The best I,ve used to cover is aluminum but settled on pvc as best compromise. As a guide I see how much abuse a rod can get, over build! Make sure to add length to allow for good padding in the end caps and use soft fabric like flannel for the sock. A 9 ft two piece rod is 4 1/2 feet of baseball stitch my hands get sore just thinking about it lol.

I build bamboo fly rods and have built several leather covered tubes for some of the guys I have build rods for. PVC is thick and no lighter than aluminum. Go to landmark rod company- you can buy the aluminum tubes in whatever diameter( 1,2,3 or 4 rod tubes) and lengths you want. At one time I was able to buy tubes that had bedd mared on the outside and they sold them to me at a greately reduced price- who cares you are covering it with leather. The aluminum tubes covered in leather is the best method in my opinion- strength, thin walled, and as light as anthing else.

bood luck

RMR

hey thanks for all the replies! being a coastal dweller (i've grown up a 10 minute walk away from the long island sound/atlantic ocean and stayed here my entire life to date), fishing has always been a hobby of mine, and having recently turned to flies on lakes and rivers has been fun. i bought a custom 9'6" sage z-axis 5wt rod with a lamson reel not too long ago, but it only came with a rod sock. buy a rod case? nah, i'm a leather worker, i make this stuff. (and now to add another project onto the already cramped white board)

and i just have an adversion to pvc. while light and durable, i dont like how bulky it is, and sched40 in a 2"dia is a bear to work with. i googled clear tec. a 2.5" tube 48" inch long is $183.00, hell, i could buy some 6061 t6 aluminum for that. i sent an email to landmark, i like how they include the end caps. as for the form and fit, i come from the cadillac school of design, while i value durability, its gotta look good too. after all, if it's ugly, my friends wont want me to build one for them!

and mr. smith i feel your pain, i'm a medieval reenactor, i just finished my own suit of armor; in total, it was around 60ft of saddle stitching. i now have what my finace likes to call "sedimentary growths" on the outer sides of my fore and pinky fingers from it all. i dont think they even classify as calluses anymore, i think they've got their own cartilage coating now lol.

i'll keep updating, i need a new project.

I gotta ask. Does your fly rod have ceramic eyelets? It seems to me that your expensive rod dashing about in a round tube would damage those. (I worked for a sportman's store ages ago and Umpqua Feather Merchants. http://www.umpqua.com ) I think I would be more inclined to make it zip open with ridged sides and a padded interior with snap loops to hold each section in place.

I know these rods can run hundreds. It would be a shame to have one go bashing about in a tube as you run to get the best fishing spot. :D

Edited by Sylvia

it does not have ceramic eyelets, no. as for the padding, it wont just be rattling around, i'll have it in its flanel rod sock, and pad the bottom andtop of the tube with a bit of foam and lambs wool.

Central vac. tube works OK and is pretty thin . I would avoid cardboard . If your rods will ever be in checked baggage , go with ABS .

Another quick tip , make the case openable from both ends , if you fly the TSA may want you to prove it's not a bomb carrier / or has anything hidden inside . Never had the issue myself , but others have reported it .

Just a piece of general flyrodding advice - try to go multipiece , if affordable . Good ones perform as well as well as two piece , and can be carried on .

Chris

Edited by cdf