conceptdiba

What Is This Tool Called, And Where Do I Find It?

Any idea on pricing for these?

Andrew

I've asked for a quote for the double-apparatus machine, a wooden stand for the handles (like the one shown in the video), two cork handles, 2 edge-creasing attachments, and wax-spatula attachment. I'll let you know when I hear back.

You can get a voltage converter here. I have a 1000w of the same brand and you can run practically anything on it except a heater, stove, or kitchen appliance. They make much bigger ones too.

Art

Isn't Leatherworker.net just the best thing. And, what did we do before Google? Thanks for letting me be a part of this conversation.

The reason I posted the links to the Janik pyrography stuff is for a price comparison. They may be less money. FYI, Mando.fr is sending me prices.

I keep thinking it would be nice to find a USA power supply (ie. soldering, pyrography or hot wax pen) that would easily accept the Mando handles and tips. Then, there wouldn't be any electrical issues.

Edited by Lippy

Hey everyone

I'm currently following Bob Park's method on edge burnishing, though I sometimes torture myself with doing the sandpaper method (100 grit all the way to 2000 grit) to get an amazing edge on belts.

I recently came across this video, and the tool being used at 2:07 and 3:42 and 4:12 is something I've never seen before. He appears to use it before stitching and after stitching; before the edges are painted or sanded, as well as after painting the edge. I would assume the tool is heated up.

I'm looking for way to do edges like this, assumably with a wax of some sort, as sandpaper and Bob Park's method don't work too well for thinner leathers like those seen in the video.

Can anyone shed some light on this, or a similar way to do edges like this with wax? Information on what wax and/or tools to use would also be appreciated!

Hi I am a person that can do edges like what peter was doing. I make and sell a burnisher that can be used on a dremel tool that can get edges lie this. I have had Bob Park use my tools and does like the effect it can get. Go to my website and look at the short video that I have there demostrating the use of my tool. www.leathertools4u.com. as for the wax, I use paraffin wax. I also use sand paper to get my edge smooth.

post-12512-044426200 1334198902_thumb.jp

Any idea on pricing for these?

Andrew

Just heard back from them...

495 euro for the 2-handle model

189 euro for the 1-handle model

35 euro for each cork handle

~75 euro each for the edging and wax-melting attachments

+ freight.

I think the 1-handle model is much better value, really...

I don't see why it would be difficult to just swap out your attachments. To be honest, I see myself using 3 attachments to make a wallet (one edging line to mark where my stitches will go, one to melt the wax onto the edges, and another one a mm from the edge to give a nice looking line between the edge and the stitches), so no matter which machine I use I'll have to change attachments.

It appears the 1-handle model is 0v-16v vs the 0v-20v of the 2-handle model. Any idea what this would change in terms of usefulness?

I asked about the attachment for "burning the edge of the leather" and they said not to bother because it's unnecessary...haha.

so a 1-handle model plus a cork handle and 3 attachments would run about $600 + shipping. Seems like they make some very high quality tools...I might have to go for it.

funnily enough, I came across this thread from a few years ago, and it would appear the gentleman in the video I posted was a member on here and made that thread (notice the maker's stamp). He mentions paying around $600 for the machine and a few attachments and as the video shows, it's the double-handle model. Weird the price would have doubled in just a few years :s Maybe he upgraded to the more expensive model?

Edited by conceptdiba

You should contact Dan At Campbell Randall. He's making me up something very similar for a lot less money. I was gonna post the costs and such after I got the details be it will be a few more days before he gets it for me. I know the price will be at least half of the cost of the European ones. Just FYI.

Andrew

You should contact Dan At Campbell Randall. He's making me up something very similar for a lot less money. I was gonna post the costs and such after I got the details be it will be a few more days before he gets it for me. I know the price will be at least half of the cost of the European ones. Just FYI.

Andrew

I called him this afternoon and forwarded the .PDF from Mando to him as well. Hopefully that will help give him an idea of exactly what it is we have in mind. I'll see how it plays out, since between shipping, power supply, and long-term service, we're looking at a couple hundred bucks just for that.

Here's an update to the tool search. It appears that the tool in Peter Nitz's video is made in Romans sur Isère, France by "Pierre Regad et Fils". They don't seem to have a website. Check this out. http://www.francecuir.fr/entreprise/regad-ets--romans-sur-isere-300461336.html

I did try to send an email asking for more information to <regad@regad.fr>. So far there's been no reply most likely because I don't speak French.

Cheers again!

Here's an update to the tool search. It appears that the tool in Peter Nitz's video is made in Romans sur Isère, France by "Pierre Regad et Fils". They don't seem to have a website. Check this out. http://www.francecui...-300461336.html

I did try to send an email asking for more information to <regad@regad.fr>. So far there's been no reply most likely because I don't speak French.

Cheers again!

I think this may be incorrect. Some of those images are straight from the catalogue Mando.fr sent me. Also, this thread was made by Peter Nitz himself (look at the maker's stamp) and it mentions Mando to be the company that makes the machine in question.

I'm just waiting on a response from Campbell-Randall to see what they come up with. If nothing pans out, I'll probably just buy the one from Mando...

It appears that Mando has updated their website. http://mando.fr/

It's now easy to see that they distribute for many different companies associated with the leather trades.

P. Regad & Sons manufactures the leather pyrography tools distributed by Mando and others.

Awsome video, thanks for the post. Not to deviate from the OP but can anyone tell me where i i can get that 10 prong punch he uses to make the stitching holes. I have scoured the net an come up with nothing every time, and im so frustrated at the search i dont want to use it any more.

If there is any help out there i would be very greatfull.

Thank you.

He is probably using Vergez Blanchard Pricking Irons. Steven Siegel may have some left, call him at 805.570.5251 or 336.293.7624. They go by spi and number of teeth.

Art

Awsome video, thanks for the post. Not to deviate from the OP but can anyone tell me where i i can get that 10 prong punch he uses to make the stitching holes. I have scoured the net an come up with nothing every time, and im so frustrated at the search i dont want to use it any more.

If there is any help out there i would be very greatfull.

Thank you.

He is probably using Vergez Blanchard Pricking Irons. Steven Siegel may have some left, call him at 805.570.5251 or 336.293.7624. They go by spi and number of teeth.

Art

be careful... I needed a pricking iron that made a mark exactly every 1/8", and the #8 vergez-blanchard from Siegel was off by a tiny fraction of an inch. I ended up buying a Joseph Dixon model instead and it works great.

Art

be careful... I needed a pricking iron that made a mark exactly every 1/8", and the #8 vergez-blanchard from Siegel was off by a tiny fraction of an inch. I ended up buying a Joseph Dixon model instead and it works great.

you guys are great!! found them .

Thank you guys

Thanks so much for the discussion. I went to the Leather Forever exhibition by Hermes in May in London and saw them use the iron tool, simply couldn't remember the name of the supplier although it was printed (labelled) on the wood handle of the tool! Life will be so much easier with it. I will definitely get a set. :blush:

Hi,

as I see in the product catalogue, one type of head is for sure use to make the line near the edge or edge creasing. However, Are there any type of the tool's head that use to smooth the edge.

I seen on the blog that one guy interview the Hermes craftswoman at the festival

"Martine showed us how she sands down the edges of the leather with a hot tool to remove the excess glue and to get a smooth edge. When she’s satisfied that the edges are perfect, she then adds a layer of lacquer to seal them."

So, if anybody know which head is use to do this, please tell me as I need to buy it

thank you

Did Campbell Randal eventually made this tool and started selling it? Did someone get it from some place in US/Canada?

After many months Campbell Randall finally did make this tool. I have just purchased one with anfewmhead attachments. Came out to around $300. I expect to receive it in the next few days. I will post some pics and observations once I've had a chance to use it a bit.

Andrew

​The apparatus that you see is a filet electric . They can be obtained at Ets. Regad . fr . They are used as heated edge creasers to be used on chrome tanned leather ! they do not work well on veg tanned leather as they heat up too much & burn the leather . I have four of those devices in my atelier which I made the power supplies myself .

Hi folks; what I see here is known as a soldering station, there are literaly hundreds of models in various wattages. Some are quite cheap,< $ 100. The only problem might be getting the proper tips for what you want. But if you had one that took inserted tips you could probably cut off tools and insert into handle, as there must be a set screw or retainer of some sort that holds the soldering tips in place. I have seen similar irons at a electronics store I go to on occcasion, but never thought of this use for it. Will check this out next time I get in to this store. Gump.

Hi Andrew,

Have you got your tool from Campbell? I could not find the part on Campbell's site. Can you suggest a part number or point out a contact that I should reach out to.

Regards

KN

After many months Campbell Randall finally did make this tool. I have just purchased one with anfewmhead attachments. Came out to around $300. I expect to receive it in the next few days. I will post some pics and observations once I've had a chance to use it a bit.

Andrew

Hi folks; what I see here is known as a soldering station, there are literaly hundreds of models in various wattages. Some are quite cheap,< $ 100. The only problem might be getting the proper tips for what you want. But if you had one that took inserted tips you could probably cut off tools and insert into handle, as there must be a set screw or retainer of some sort that holds the soldering tips in place. I have seen similar irons at a electronics store I go to on occcasion, but never thought of this use for it. Will check this out next time I get in to this store. Gump.

So a large part of the cost is definitely the handle and heat controller. The tips are under $30 each which seems pretty reasonable since they're made in-house by Campbell Randall. I suppose you can find a heating unit and handle yourselves but what you're paying for is having them put together the whole setup for you. The tips use an custom adapter that lets then screw onto the handles and such.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Have you got your tool from Campbell? I could not find the part on Campbell's site. Can you suggest a part number or point out a contact that I should reach out to.

Regards

KN

I'm still waiting on it. Here's a picture that they sent me of the tool. I've also attached the PDF brochure that they sent me. Hopefully you can view it.

Andrew

Edge Glazer

Hot-Glazing.pdf

Edited by Andrew Chee

So a large part of the cost is definitely the handle and heat controller. The tips are under $30 each which seems pretty reasonable since they're made in-house by Campbell Randall. I suppose you can find a heating unit and handle yourselves but what you're paying for is having them put together the whole setup for you. The tips use an custom adapter that lets then screw onto the handles and such.Andrew

Andrew, did you ever get the above tool from Campbell-Bosworth? Seems like your order has taken a long time, is there a since that that's only because it was a first for them? How much are the Mando tips and handles separately? Because honestly those wooden and cork handles seem like they'd be better to hold the handle so that you could use more downward pressure while creasing an edge.

The Janik S2 (single unit w/ 4 step heat control) is about $111 USD [70 GPB] plus shipping. I think the Mando single unit power box is about $240 - and with the Janik S2 you get the handle that looks like it accepts the same tips as the Mando unit, the mount feral looks the same. Ideally the Campbell tips would work too, though Campbell may have used a different mounting system I'm not sure. Surely their 'in-house' tips fit the Italian Bimac machines since they carry those (more expensive) units too.

BTW, looking at both the units (Mando and Janik) it appears that the handle inputs are the same (two small round hole plug) as opposed to the unit that Campbell is putting together (normal pronged elec plug). So, that would make adding the Mando wooden handles to the Janik unit possible. The Mando single power unit is 16v max while the Janik S2 is 12v max and both are adjustable. Would 12v make enough heat? I think so but it's just a guess based on the fact that these machines are probably not run at max for everything they do.

As I see it, the 'smart money' method for obtaining this tool would be:

1) Buy a Janik S2

2) Purchase tips from Mando

3) Eventually update the Janik handle to the Mando handles (as funds permit).

Edited by CustomDoug