yngliver

Singer 31-15, Servo?

Hello!

I've been reading here for a while but this is my first post. I've been doing some simple leather projects for a bit and have recently gotten a Singer 31-15 for free. All in all it seems great, but I am having a hard time controlling it. I was looking for some opinions as to whether it would be worth changing out the motor for a Servo Motor. If so, which one. If not, any advice on how to handle the machine better?

Thanks a lot for all the great knowledge on this site.

One thing to try is to install a 2" pulley on the motor. that will slow it down.

For Singer info call Bob at Toledo Machine. He's the expert!

I have a 31-15 using the Serve Pro servo from him and find it to be a great machine.

Bolts in to your current holes and only needs a change of belt length. Totally changes the machine and makes it behave.

Good luck.

Kevin

<br />For Singer info call Bob at Toledo Machine.  He's the expert!<br /><br /><br />I have a 31-15 using the Serve Pro servo from him and find it to be a great machine.<br /><br />Bolts in to your current holes and only needs a change of belt length.  Totally changes the machine and makes it behave.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Kevin<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The 31-15 is an old machine; I've seen some that were in tables with weird arrangement of motors. A separate clutch isn't uncommon, for instance. (Some of these went into factories with line shafts and belts, so each head had a clutch, but several machines shared a motor. When the set is broken up, a motor was added.) Neither is a table that has two holes for a belt, expecting the use of a single length of leather belting, joined with clips once installed. A motor mounted to the back of the table rail might be another setup. If you've got a modern motor set up, it's straightforward to attach a servo motor. If you don't, it's more work.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll call Bob this week and see what he has to say.

It is Toledo Industrial Sewing Machine correct?

Edited by yngliver

I also recently acquired a 31-15 and had the same question ! I have already emailed Bob asking for a recommendation and price quote. I've heard Bob's servo has a built in speed reducer which others don't, is that right? What would be the result of using a servo (like on eBay for under $100) that does not have speed reducer built in? Thanks

I also have a Singer 31-15. It is very old and was equipped with a 1/3 HP clutch motor when I bought it. The motor pulley was 4" in diameter and the machine pulley is 3.5 inches. I figure it was spinning at about 30 stitches per second as setup.

A couple of months ago I bought my second SewPro 500GR motor from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines (866-362-7397). The first one is operating my National 300N walking foot machine. The new one is now powering the Singer 31-15.With its 2 inch pulley I can easily control the machine at all speeds, from well under 1/second, up to about 15/second. There is no lack of slow speed torque. There is a knob on the back of the motor that reduces the maximum speed, for even finer slow speed control.

Because the SewPro motor has built-in 3:1 speed reduction, there is no need to add a reducer pulley. The same motor is sold as standard equipment with the Cowboy CB227R machines, which are medium duty walking foot cylinder arm machines.

Before anyone asks, I don't think that this motor has quite enough umpf to direct drive a big 441 clone. You really do need a 3/4 HP motor for the big stitchers. It seems best suited for use with medium duty machines.

Thanks Wiz. Sounds like the perfect servo for my needs with my 31-15.

Free Singer 31-15??

Well, now you have some greens left and get a servo motor, then u mount.....big smile.....then u sew with utter control...biggest smile....then u buy later bigger machine and put servo motor on it....its all well, and u will smile from then on.....believe me....if you could see my face....!!! I am still smiling....bought two from Toledo Bob!!

Smile

James :thumbsup: