Sylvia

Black River Laser Is Awesome

For me it was color... I like the clear but if I drop them or set them down it's hard for me to SEE them. I've dropped mine, accidentally shut one of the ranger belt ends in the drawer... and not even a crack. But if they did crack or break they are inexpensive enough replacing the set wouldn't be too painful. I bet if that did happen BRL would be happy to cut you a new one for a nominal fee. Certainly couldn't hurt to ask anyway.

Which reminds me... I think I'm going to get a binder and some of those sheet or card holders to put them in. That way they won't take up room in my drawer and won't be sliding about.

:)

There's an idea. I hadn't thought of using those plastic paper protectors to hold them. I was planning to grab a piece of scrap leather and make a fold over pouch holder for each set. Cut a base to the size of the largest template in the set with a flap that folds over the bottom of the pouch and comes to about half way up the template. Then rivet on a strap to hold the flap closed. Pretty simple little project.

Edited by Glendon

I have to agree with Sylvia. I ordered a very simple but handy tool from them. It is a leather gauge to determine what ounce you are handling. For $5 bucks, it is worth the bench resource tool. Joyce is very nice to talk and it seems that she was a leathercrafter before some health issues got the better of her. I am considering some other templates from them. Consider them in them in the future for some great resource tools.

I just sent them a request. I also put down that 'Sylvia sent me"

You might also want to mention that you are a "LWMEMBER"

There's an idea. I hadn't thought of using those plastic paper protectors to hold them. I was planning to grab a piece of scrap leather and make a fold over pouch holder for each set. Cut a base to the size of the largest template in the set with a flap that folds over the bottom of the pouch and comes to about half way up the template. Then rivet on a strap to hold the flap closed. Pretty simple little project.

:)

Back before hubby and I hit "hardship" status, I did a lot of "crazy coupon lady" shopping. I have a binder that already has baseball card protector sheets in it that work great for those tab and shield templates. (lol it still has coupons in it from 2009!) I'll just add some full size sheet protectors for the larger spiral templates. Most of them will fit just right. The binder is one of those that zips shut so even if the try to slide out of their spaces... they will still be contained. :)

I'll post a picture or two when I'm done.

You might also want to mention that you are a "LWMEMBER"

Or order from their eBay pages. They are offering a pretty good discount to Leatherworker.net members right now to get their name out. I'm sure Jerry or Joyce will let you know about this, but just a heads up.

ok... here's a peak at my binder solution. If you are wondering I painted my templates with Sharpies allowed them to dry. I'll come back with some clear nail polish or some spray clear and put a protective coating on them later.

I know everyone's raving about BRL right now, and I'm certainly one to do so. Here's why...

A couple weeks back, I ordered 3 sets from them and talked to Jerry about making custom templates for spur straps and bronc halter nosebands I make. I thought the price of $20 per template was reasonable and gladly paid for them. I received an email from PayPal on Sunday showing that I'd received a $10 refund. There was a note from Joyce saying that she had added a spur strap template set (different from my design) available to everyone to purchase and that the $10 refund was to make it fair to me. I didn't ask for the refund nor did I expect one.

I've already used the $10 refund for my next order with BRL. :)

I've had them make three or four sets of items for me. They've been exceptionally fast in turnaround and make a high quality product. Their templates are a whole lot better to use in comparison to the traditional heavy paper folders. I definitely plan on using BRL in the future, and highly recommend their services.

I am very happy that everyone loves BRL... I don't typically stick my neck out for a company like that but I just knew some of us would love to be able to get decent templates at a reasonable price. Of course, Joyce and Jerry are super awesome folks that really good care of the customer... which makes it really easy to sing their praises here.

Here's my take on my experience with BRL.

Previously, I only knew Grey Ghost does acrylic templates. A couple of months back, I had Jeff do a set of pattern transfers for me, plus buying a couple of lifters. The corner of my pattern wasn't entirely square, and he actually took note of it and notified me prior to beginning the job. It was a very pleasant experience and I was ready to do business with him again.

I did my 28 templates in MS Visio, and then realised that it is a very uncommon software. Jeff tried to work on it but apparently didn't have much success. I tried saving it in another format and sending it to him. After some time, I sent a reminder email, and he replied that he is kinda busy, and will get back when he can.

I waited for a couple of weeks before I stumbled upon BRL here.

Same problem, Joyce didn't have Visio software. But she patiently worked with me (I'm a computer idiot) and through a combination of saving my files as .dwg extensions, plus sending screen grabs of each file with a grid behind, she managed to work out and verify the sizing of each template.

She was extremely patient with me working on my makers stamp too. And when the package arrived, I was pleasantly surprised that not only the templates were accurately made, she engraved the filenames of each template on the pieces itself. This certainly would make it easy for me to store and retrieve them.

Thumbs up for her patience and customer service!

Ordered 2 sets today. I took advantage of the ebay sale. Thanks Sylvia. You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Ordered 2 sets today. I took advantage of the ebay sale. Thanks Sylvia. You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

LOL No, YOU ROCK. ;)

I had been looking for a vendor who could fabricate my templates for me and I found myself on Grey Ghost Graphics page. When I saw the prices on the pre-made templates, it scared me away from asking about custom templates. I am so thankful that you posted this Sylvia. I just placed an order for templates to make a card holder and it only cost me $25 shipped. Every time I have a finalized design that I know I will be using a lot, I will have it made by Black River.

I had been looking for a vendor who could fabricate my templates for me and I found myself on Grey Ghost Graphics page. When I saw the prices on the pre-made templates, it scared me away from asking about custom templates. I am so thankful that you posted this Sylvia. I just placed an order for templates to make a card holder and it only cost me $25 shipped. Every time I have a finalized design that I know I will be using a lot, I will have it made by Black River.

That's very good news Union! I am very glad you found my post helpful. They are such a wonderful couple... and I can't say enough good things about them.

I used my templates today. Absolutely awesome. I wish my tools matched those templates in quality. I do wish the holes to mark the buckle holes were slightly larger, but still one of the best investments I have made for leatherwork.

I used my templates today. Absolutely awesome. I wish my tools matched those templates in quality. I do wish the holes to mark the buckle holes were slightly larger, but still one of the best investments I have made for leatherwork.

My red tandy modeling tool's pointed end pokes right through those holes. If you need to, use a straight pin. One of the thin ones for quilting with the big plastic heads should work.

Hi Joe, I have a template made and it had a hole marking which is for me to punch a hole for fixing on a screw-on type concho.

I contemplated making the template hole as large as the chicago screw, but later on decided if I switch to different conchos, that large may be too large or too small. As concho makers varies the chicago screws they use.

In the end, I decided a very small marking hole is still the best. And from there, I can use a self centering hole punch. Using this combi, I can punch any size holes, and it will always be centered.

Hope I don't sound confusing..

I have been using a straight pin, but with my big clumsy calloused fingertips it is hard to grab even one with the plastic ball. LOL. I had been using a dead ink pen for marking.

@reddevil I googled self-centering hole punch but came up empty. Does it use an edge guide, or somehow center on the mark? Can you provide a link?

I have been using a straight pin, but with my big clumsy calloused fingertips it is hard to grab even one with the plastic ball. LOL. I had been using a dead ink pen for marking.

@reddevil I googled self-centering hole punch but came up empty. Does it use an edge guide, or somehow center on the mark? Can you provide a link?

It is a pointed spring loaded shaft in the middle of the handle. Once you position the point of the shaft on your marked hole, your hole punch is automatically centered.

Here is a Sailrite video showing one. (wonder why they use that creepy music in the video)

The video says it is for fabric. But it looks like any set sold by the hardware stores. Most of the people who buys these use them to make gaskets for automotive purposes.

Don't try to buy those cheap china made ones. I have tried one out, it doesn't even go through a piece of 3-4oz.

My local store has a set of UK origin. It punches through the piece of 4-5 oz I brought along cleanly. But it costs US$100 for a 10 piece set. I am still considering.

You will find the self centering punches in woodworking catalogs as well as metal working catalogs. The punch actually slides inside of the barrel. The end of the unit is made so it centers in a hole.

http://www.garrettwade.com/product.asp?pn=35K08.01&ch=10S09.09&EID=W6061011&SID=W6061011&utm_source=googlepla&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CPmf5qTEqLACFUMCQAodTyDXUQ

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-58-013-Self-Centering-Screw-Punch/dp/B00002X1YB

I have one of the Stanley punches. Have had it for 40 years, use it occasionally in the shop, works fine.

I believe an Ace Hardware or possibly Lowe's, Home Depot, or Menards would have them.

ferg

Edited by 50 years leather

I'll add my experience here as well, I stumbled upon BRL and really liked the price and look of everything, the leather gauge is what I really was interested in so for the 8ish bucks I thought it was a great deal and shipping was only a buck or so so I added it to my cart and checked out. About an hour later I get an email saying that I got a 4.00 refund for being a LW member. I never even mentioned that I was a member so I'm not sure if they checked or what. I'd like to get some of my holster patterns made to and probably should but I have so many that I'm not sure where to start.

Does anyone have any pictures of the makers marks that they make? I'm in the market for a new one for my larger items, Brenda at Laser Gift Creations did all my other ones as well as some other custom stamps for me and I have no complaints but I'm always open for other options as well.

They were selling them on eBay for a while, Its the rope border with only 2 lines of text. Top and bottom. Maker in the middle.

I could not find my picture of the one they have but its identical to the one Grey Ghost does. So I will show you what it looks like using one from Grey Ghost. (Forgive me Jeff)

post-22515-078594900 1338607506_thumb.jp

1 inch was all they offered on eBay. It does not have a long shaft. Its short and uses the Tandy Hefty Handle to stamp it with. If you have the handle its not a bad deal. If you dont own one just go with Grey Ghost.