OdinUK

Backpatch For Leather Jacket

Here is my finished backpatch with the "Manowar" early style logo that I made to go onto a leather waistcoat. It will go above another patch that I made of the hammer of Thor symbol used on the album cover (see my pic gallery for the other patch).

This was made from around 3.5mm thick leather with fiebings oil dyes. The topcoat is Saddle Lac but next time Id like to try other, non glossy finishes.

Thanks for looking:)

post-11335-003104500 1335220348_thumb.jp

post-11335-034553900 1335220594_thumb.jp

post-11335-073764800 1335220724_thumb.jp

post-11335-033119900 1335220883_thumb.jp

That's really nice. So you put snaps on the coat and snap the patches on?

Thanks all! I put most of it down to the helpful folk on this forum offering great advice, and my passion for learning as much about leatherwork as possible:) Thanks everyone!

Yes, I put snaps on the jacket/vest to attach the to it. I plan on doing some other band patches and a military veterans patch for a friend who was in the army and navey.

A problem that I use to have doing letters and then the backgrounding is that the leather would get pushed up around the edge of the letters or design, this made application of the liquid latex mask difficult to apply and the letters lost some depth. I overcame this poblem by lightly beveling (once more) around the edges. It also adds greater depth.

Very nicw work here. I love the detail.

Your letters are so crisp. Nice job. The added bevel step really makes them stand out. So do you dye everything black, then apply the latex and dye the letters red?

Thanks! Yes, I dye around the letters with a fine brush, then use a dauber or cotton bud for the large areas away from the tooled letters. Then I apply the liquid latex, around the letters, when that sets I use masking tape else where. I use the red oil dye in an airbrush (just a cheap one) for dying the solid red areas on the letters.

Edited by OdinUK

Now that is some clean, crisp tooling! the lines are very straight, which is not an easy thing to do. Great work!

Wow, those are some crisp lines :) Great work!

Awesome job!

What brand of liquid mask do you use?

@Jayjay, I dont know what brand it is, it was bought from ebay in 3 small bottles, so I have no idea Im afraid.

Ok no problem, I did find some in Micheals called "Liquid Frisket" It worked great on a wallet I'm making.

Thanks for the response.

@Jayjay, I dont know what brand it is, it was bought from ebay in 3 small bottles, so I have no idea Im afraid.

Its probably the same stuff. It stinks of amonia if its latex based since amonia is a solvent for latex. I look forward to seeing the results.