gcg123

Substitute Leather Tooling Material?

Hello leather workers,

I was recently commissioned to do a project by a vegan friend eof min and I was wondering if there are any other non-leather materials that you could tool/carve on. I have only been tooling for about a year in a half or two years and have sort of run out of Ideas as far as materials go. I know it is probably considered blasphemy but If you have any Ideas or have done tooling on other materials I would appreciate as much info as I can get.

thanks

-gg

i dont know much of anything mind you...

But thinking about your limitations, I first think of vinyls type of material...

So if a vinyl type material was going to be used you could not cut or necesarily mould,

so that leaves heat, hot stamping as the way to impress a design into something like that...?

Then theres rubber, you could make in leather and then try and cast the originaldesign (ex; rubber spiked brclts) ...

Good luck, sounds like a great challenging project, love to see what you come up with :)

eta, i think silicone was what i was thinking....make a mold out of a TAP resin product and cast in silicone (rubber), something blah blah like that...

Edited by miss v

As far as I know there is no other choice than leather.

(On the side: If someone have been taking the stand of being a vegan, that someone should not try to copy the "meatworld", be consistent.) //Just my 2 cents

what about sewing applique in layers to faux leather, it would be a very graphicky effect.....

as you experiment with different ideas and materials, you will eventually come up with something!

you might even come up with the vegans' million dollar fashion idea :)

good luck'

The only "vegan" product I'm aware of that can be carved is WOOD.

Without getting political or in a huge argument about the rights and wrongs of leather. I would like to remind everyone that synthetic materials, plastic, naugahide, and vinyl.. are made from OIL. (long dead plants and animals (diatoms)) and the production of said synthetic materials create more pollution than Leather ever did. So I think your friend should resign themselves to wear cotton, linen and hemp...

I think I remember seeing someone who uses a polymer clay to practice stamping out designs on and as long as you don't heat the clay up it's totally reusable. And if you mess up, just simply get a rolling pin out and smooth everything back out.

Damon

Here's the thread that I was referring too

http://leatherworker...=1

obviously everyone here likes "leather" ...

but the person just asked a simple question for alternative ideas.

not our opinions about veganism.

obviously everyone here likes "leather" ...

but the person just asked a simple question for alternative ideas.

not our opinions about veganism.

I have to desagree...

The vegans take the liberty of bashing down on leather/fur lovers (sometimes with violence/destruction) as soon as they get the opportunity, why would we stand on the side when they try to mimic/copy anything leather/fur? Talk about double standard!!!

I have to desagree...

The vegans take the liberty of bashing down on

leather/fur lovers (sometimes with violence/destruction) as soon as they get the

opportunity, why would we stand on the side when they try to mimic/copy anything

leather/fur? Talk about double

standard!!!

i disagree to disagree. :)

my point is: The original post was a call for help with finding a creative solution for a member.

why cant it just be that.

Sorry, i didnt realize this was such a sensitive subject and I do not intend to involve myself in a big debating discussion,

so this is my last post on this topic.

I was actually about to ask the same question. I don't really see where their objections come into it... If my customer has a need, i'm going to try to meet it, it's not for me to judge them.

Does anyone else have other suggestions or experience trying to detail leather alternatives ?

I don't actually know if it is going to be possible. Veg-tan leather can be tooled because it can absorb water, and then the fibers can compress and the collagen fibers will form a glue of sorts that holds the carving in place after it dries.

I can't think of a single man-made or plant product that will give that gluing behavior/effect and yet still remain flexible. I suppose you could potentially shape something out of a non-woven cloth or vinyl with either the cloth or the underlayment saturated or infused with glue to mimic this, but the glue itself could be out as the most suitable types are likely made of animal products too. Maybe you can use that "fun foam" stuff they sell in craft stores, and shape it a little bit by heating it--you definitely don't want it hot enough to offgass as the fumes are nasty for you (wear a respirator or work under a fume hood of sorts), but you might be able to "carve" it to a degree by using somewhat hot tools to partially melt instead of stamp and burnish the patterns on. A warning-- heating some tools can damaging them by ruining their temper.

ok im back now were back on track :) thanks.

when sylvia said "wood" she had a good idea, they could carve a cuff? or maybe heat steam form wood? you could stamp into balsa wood, then laquer? hmmmm....

winterbear, the layer could be like the sculpey clay like vikti above suggested to take the stamping and then fired, maybe using some kind of base form, it would have to be a "cuff" style w a back opening though...

I have to desagree...

The vegans take the liberty of bashing down on leather/fur lovers (sometimes with violence/destruction) as soon as they get the opportunity, why would we stand on the side when they try to mimic/copy anything leather/fur? Talk about double standard!!!

:cheers:

Edited by oldtimer

Hello leather workers,

I was recently commissioned to do a project by a vegan friend eof min and I was wondering if there are any other non-leather materials that you could tool/carve on. I have only been tooling for about a year in a half or two years and have sort of run out of Ideas as far as materials go. I know it is probably considered blasphemy but If you have any Ideas or have done tooling on other materials I would appreciate as much info as I can get.

thanks

-gg

I would use vegantan leather

My two cents/ Knut

I honestly don't think there is anything that would take the place of leather. Anything poly, plastic, foam, are all petroleum based so that doesn't work either.

perhaps you can make some of that home made clay-dough with flour, water, salt and something else. But you would want to make sure that it is very well sealed once it's baked.

Plaster might work if you carve that then saturate a pieces of fabric with starch then overly the carved plaster with the cloth and sort of wet form it into the shapes. Again this is going to be stiff... but you might be able to stuff the back sides with cotton batting and use some sort of natural woven cloth as a stabilizer to keep it in place.

I originally thought layers of Felt would work but true felt is (you guessed it) 'animal based' and the synthetic felts are uh huh... petroleum based. If your customer is not opposed to non-kill animal products like wool... that might work. Wool felt once dampened can be compressed and it will retain the shape when it's dry.

Look up vegan leather, leather that has been made from naturally deceased bovines. There is an extensive thread on this from last year. One of the suppliers was carrying it, and may still have some available.

Hope this helps.

Plants are living things too, they are just easier to catch.

I'll refrain from ranting...

Craft foam can be heated with a heat gun and can be stamped with leather stamps. The impressions are inferior and foam is very weak, but that's the best alternative that I can think of. (It's toxic when heated as well)

Felt can be used in conjunction with pva glue to resemble leather. Birkenstock uses acrylic and felt for their fake leather. I don't think it can be tooled though.

I just found http://naturesleather.com/ it is "cork leather", a fabric made from cork oak bark. Cork can be branded (pyrography) and looks great when done.

3727467348_fa1d2d4b0b.jpg

I would use vegantan leather

My two cents/ Knut

Vegtan leather is still leather not vegetable. Basically the only thing one could do this on is using a wood burning tool and burning it into wood but wood is not help at all. The only thing you can do with faux leather is sew it. So you will have to tell your vegan friend it is leather or nothing.

Randi-Lee

Felt ... REALLY... NOBODY notice the Best FELT IS beaver FUR? ,lust a question.... got another source for felt?? Nothing matches leather. It's natural and a by-product of Meat......... FOOD...!

Get REAL...!

Ever notice, the person who asked the question, never posted again. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ever notice, the person who asked the question, never posted again. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Noticed! :deadsubject: