DaltonMasterson

Satin Shene As Resist?

On my bottle of Satin Shene it says that it works as a resist. I have tried it on the last 2 projects, and it didnt resist anything. I am using the Antique Gel over the top of 2 coats of Satin Shene.

Does anyone here use Satin Shene with any luck? THe only other things I have on the shelf to try are some ancient cans of NeatLac, and some BagKote.

Which resist should I order to replace the Satin Shene that will still give me a satin finish?

Thanks,

DM

I use/used it with excellent results.

Me to is applying 2 coats before using an antiquing medium and for me it works out perfectly. The only thing is that I let it dry at least 24 hours before trying to do something ontop of it, maybe that's your problem?

Edited by Tina

I've had the same issue. I've tried using both Satin Sheen and Super Sheen as resists, following the video instructions on Tandy's website, with both Antique Gels and Hi-Lite colors. The Super Sheen had *slightly* better result for me, but not to the point shown on the video. It didn't seem to have quite the same luster when used as a block with the Antique gel over it, It seemed somewhere between the Satin and Super sheen on the finished project. I've been careful to let each application (both color and resists) dry 24 hours before applying the base. Personally I'm applying the color (either Cova Colors or Hi-Lite) and resists with an artists' brush, then using a soft cloth to apply the base color. If anyone has tips on this subject, I'd love to hear them too!

As far as the NeatLac and BagKote, I haven't used either so I can't give you any advice there, sorry ^.^

Neat lac is the resist of choice for most professionals. Bag kote and Tan Kote are same products, and work best as top coats for a satin finish. They do not work very well as a resist.

Neat Lac works so does Super Shene take your choice.

Super Shene is the only ecoflo product that I use. I consider their dyes, stains, and gels to be junk. I threw all of my Eco stuff away. Cova color, that's just paint. If you want to paint your leather try Liquitex water soluble stuff. Way bigger range of color. Higher quality paint. Just don't put it on anything that is a high wear item. It will wear off in short order.

Dave Theobald

Edited by David

I'm a Neat lac fan myself, but I have to admit, I've started using RTC from Bee Natural and so far have had real good results. If I've got something that has a portion dyed, I'm leaning toward RTC. Speaking of dyes, I switched to Angelus black and that seems to be light years better than Fiebings for me. No smear when applying resist on top of it. But, then again I'm using the RTC in a spray bottle for things like that. Anyway just my $.07 (figuring for inflation....LOL).

A trick for super sheen is after its dried well and you use the antique, take a alcohol wipe and rub it over the same area. I find it takes the top layer of the Super sheen off and with it the excess antique dye. Works great for me.

Thanks for the help folks!!