Hello,

My brother would like me to fix his wwII japanese type 14 nambu leather holster. I don't know much about holsters. There are triangular stitches on the side that seem to secure layers of leather in the center that hold the pistol in place in the holster. Did that stitching go all the way through the leather or just attached before it was folded over? The stitching has come undone and I am not sure how I could stitch it back up without taking it apart.

Also he wants it to stay original, but the the thread has aged, can i tea stain my linen thread to match? The piece is really dry and worn, Is there any oiling I should do that won't wreck the piece? He want's it restored, but not redone.

Thanks,

Karen

The first thing on the agenda, Karen, would be several close up pictures.

Someone here may be able to discern from them, . . . but without them, . . .????

Take a look at this Gunbroker link, . . . is this the proper holster? If so, . . . the pictures look like there are no hidden stitches, . . . everything goes through to the inside.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=287627402

May God bless,

Dwight

From the grump; YES --- need pics, as Dwight says. There are a few versions of Nambu auto pistols, but, in addition there is a Nambu revolver.

Gotta know of just which one you speak, and what the thing looks like. Mike

Just my opinion, but don't touch this. Rebuild one from new leather. That holster has history and anything you do to it will destroy that. Unless these things are common as mud, just remake one.

Your holster is a very early version. Later production holsters were made of canvas layered with latex rubber, resulting in a very durable product with the general appearance of leather, but far more durable overall.

There is considerable collector interest in these. Generally speaking, anything that you might do to the holster would reduce its desirability and value to collectors. I'm sure there are restoration experts that can do a first class job, but I am also sure that anything less would be readily identifiable as an ameteur repair job.

FWIW from the old grump:I agree with Lobo, That leather wasn't the best in the world at the time it was made. Now, 60+ years later (or more), without care, it will be dry and brittle --- any attempt to re-stitch or bring it back into shape will likely result in more damage. Mike

P.S. I believe that the case or shell of those things were well molded and a lacquer finish was used to to assist in firming and maintaining their shape. The stuff impregnates most of the leather and is difficult to work with without some real expert knowledge. M.

Edited by katsass

the actual clamshell hinge stitches are gone, I would love to reattach it, the holes are there and could just be stitched, do you think that is a problem? I would like to have it as one piece and not 2, but i see what you are saying, and won't touch anything else.