pete

Getting A Little Peeved.

Ok, now I'm confused. What's the difference between an "Ambassador" and a "Contributing Member".

Here is what this forum has to say about Ambassadors. From a post by Johanna back in 2008,

"When we started out, we asked a half dozen members to help out with welcoming people to the board, helping them find their way around and spreading general goodwill and sunshine. I never expected the board to get 1500 unique visitors a day back then, or to be several thousand members strong. (Kate says she knew it would happen all along!) We were lucky to have the help of the original team! But, the board is growing, and new members join and post every day in lots of areas. We asked for help again, and got 9 more volunteers. LW is grateful to all of you who take the time to contribute to the board, and thankful to have such a fine crew of Ambassadors to represent us. There are a lot of people behind the scenes who make this place such a great place to be."

From what I can see its not a level obtained by donation however I am sure all of them have donated to the site, It is a volunteer position where people are asked to " welcome people to the board, helping them find their way around and spreading general goodwill and sunshine."

(changed welcoming to welcome to make the snip read well)

Ah ok that makes more sense than they just gave money.

Thanks for clarifying that :)

Edited by Mike516

When we started LW it was a way to selectively read and answer leather posts without having the hassle of old-fashioned Yahoo email lists. LW is for "education, entertainment and fellowship" for all leatherworkers, newbies to pros. Many of you had good suggestions in this thread, like how to use the advanced search feature and how important it is not to belittle anyone's efforts to learn and improve. I once worked as a Tandy manager, and you would not believe what people think they know, or what they don't! Sometimes they don't even know the words to describe what they want to ask (like wanting "rawhide" boot laces) so I can see where "search" can fail. People volunteer their time to help here, and many leatherworkers are grateful for their informative posts. Experienced leatherworkers tell me they get new ideas here, and inspiration to try more complicated projects. New folks can get encouragement and an occasional hand-holding from seasoned pros. That was the point of the board in the first place- make it easy for people to connect and share info and pics.( I never expected 26,000+ members!) Our board is enjoyed all over the world, and I think it's because we are a friendly helpful bunch. Now, let's go get that ice cream. I want sprinkles.

Johanna

What, nobody going to come right out and say it. THERE IS NO SUCH AS A STUPID QUESTION, ONLY STUPID ANSWERS. There it has been said.

When i started along with many more in BC (before Computers) you pretty much were on your own except for what ever book you find and a lot if them didn't explain things to well so you had to try things on your own. Once in a while somebody would tell you a little bit and the rst you had to figure out your self.

I seen a lot members help people out and that person / people just up and leave cause they though they knew iy'e all now. Oh they will show now and again for the AT A BOYS didn't i make a nice what ever. I think that might of left a bad taste in peoples mouths and their and their more carefull about who they help so much.

People are talking about moneys tight and their on fixed incomes. Well my money is real tight to !! I had to spend 5000.00 last month to get my eyes operated on that i really didn't have extra because i can't afford insurance. But i'll tell one thing it was worth it cause now i can see again. If your own a fixed income at least you know you will have that much every month. Me i never know how much i'll one month to the next. Some months are pretty good and some arent. That's life and i've learned to live with it.

Another thing theirs no leather store within at least a 100 miles of me. So like lots of ya i have to order things. That's just the way it is. Nobody i know started out with all their tools either. I've been getting mine for 20 plus years. You get what ya need and next month get something else you need.

Were living in a i want it now time and doing this of work takes time and pratice. Like i said before your gonna screw up it's part of doing it.

Edited by dirtclod

why not just delete the thread all together. keeping it open will invite further comments that are not needed. Locking it may give others who run across it a bad impression. It has nothing to do with leather, not helpful in any way to anyone regarding leather, or how to use or navigate the site or anything. Or move it to the about us sections, since technically this thread is a conversation regarding leatherwork.

I think whole threads can't be deleted without causing issues with google. Not sure but I heard something like that once.

We can delete threads, but we felt that some important issues were discussed here and the matter is resolved. I am now closing this thread.

:deadsubject: