Sign in to follow this  
JimC

Switched Out Clutch Motor For Servo - Not Really Happy.

I have a couple of Consew 206s which have had clutch motors for years. I have a couple of other machines with servo motors and frankly like the fact that a servo motor is not running 100% of the time. What I do not like is that there seems to be 'no clutch' .. there's no gradual start. The gas pedal is all - or nothing. Maybe you have figured a workaround? (the lever arm seems really short too...)

Jim

What kind of servo motor(s)? Chinese or other "premium brand"?

I'm interested because I'm about to order mine. Based on recent threads and research, I settled on an Efka...(Efka 1550) :)

Edited by mogwild

I have a Consew servo on my 206RB5 with a reducing pulley, have no such issues. You do realize there is a control knob on the end of the servo to change speed etc.

I set mine about mid-way to sew maybe ten stitches per, I don't like sewing leather real fast. Barely pressing my foot on the pedal will create very slow stitching as in 1 stitch per. Full pedal will do the 10 but your work up to it.

BTW: I don't think there is a clutch in the Servos :)

ferg

I have a couple of Consew 206s which have had clutch motors for years. I have a couple of other machines with servo motors and frankly like the fact that a servo motor is not running 100% of the time. What I do not like is that there seems to be 'no clutch' .. there's no gradual start. The gas pedal is all - or nothing. Maybe you have figured a workaround? (the lever arm seems really short too...)

Jim

Mogwild.. From what I know - they're all Chinese. I have a 'Premier' by Consew in a carton that I have not opened to see if it's different than the other two I have. One on the Adler 105 looks much the same as I mounted on the 206RB but seems to be more gradual. ..perhaps because I run it slow. Both are pulley-to-pulley with no reduction between.

50.. Ya, I am familiar with the speed control. Like you, I do not like to blast thru my work. Tends to overhead needles, loose control of the material, etc.. But unlike the Adler, I do run the 206 reasonably fast.

I'll crack the carton on the Consew motor and see what it looks like...

Jim

In the Servo motors I have played with there is certainly incremental speed control off the foot pedal.

The linkage is connected to an iron core which moves through a field to give you additional control. Try adjusting the linkage on the motor itself to give it more travel.

I have a servo I purchased from Steve @ Cobra on my Singer 111W and it gives me gradual control. Like Ferg, I can go from barely press the pedal and have a cup of Joe between stitches to about 30 stitches per minute at full pedal ( I have mine adjusted down considerably). It isn't pulley to pulley though, I do have a speed reducer (also from Steve) between the motor and machine. I have not had any issues with power to punch through the leather but I haven't gone any thicker than about 18 oz total. I am usually sewing medium to firm temper veg tan but have sewn 5 or 6 layers of upholstery leather. I do most of my sewing with a 21 or 22 needle and 138 bonded polyester thread.