Tree Reaper

The Dreaded Timing Issue

I'm glad to hear you got it corrected.Wiz is correct just use your hands next time if it ever jams again & try turning the handwheel backwards,you might even have to rock it back & forth,these machine are tough & can take alot of abuse BUT that motor with the speed reducer on it has ALOT of torque & can cause larger problems when forced.

Please let us know if you need anymore help.

Bob

Actually in my own defense I have to say that the machine just came to an abrupt stop and naturally my foot was still on the pedal but I took my foot off immediately so I really didn't attempt to power through it, I know these machines can be temperamental and I wouldn't intentionally try to force it through a jam.

I'm glad it's working again and I learned how to make some adjustments in the process.

Kevin.

Please let us know if you need anymore help.

Bob

Can you upgrade your 800# to include Canada? :spoton:

Edited by Tree Reaper

Actually in my own defense I have to say that the machine just came to an abrupt stop and naturally my foot was still on the pedal but I took my foot off immediately so I really didn't attempt to power through it, I know these machines can be temperamental and I wouldn't intentionally try to force it through a jam.

I'm glad it's working again and I learned how to make some adjustments in the process.

Kevin.

Can you upgrade your 800# to include Canada? :spoton:

I would if I could but they tell as off July 2006 Toll-Free isn't no longer available International & that's with AT&T.

I have a rate of .05 a min when I call Canada so if you call & either leave a message or if I answer just tell me to call back I can call you back.

Bob

That's ok Bob, I don't mind calling, it's only a few times a year.

I don't even know what they would charge for that service it may not be worth while for a handful of non resident customers.

You guys have always been great at returning my calls and I appreciate the initiative on your part to call and help out with repairing my machine, that means a lot!

Was that your son I was speaking with or another employee?

Kevin

That's ok Bob, I don't mind calling, it's only a few times a year.

I don't even know what they would charge for that service it may not be worth while for a handful of non resident customers.

You guys have always been great at returning my calls and I appreciate the initiative on your part to call and help out with repairing my machine, that means a lot!

Was that your son I was speaking with or another employee?

Kevin

At first she person I talked with said $8.00 a mon I thought that's great,then she told me I can't get it.

Yes,we always try to get back asap when there's a problem before people start working on it & doing the wrong adjustment,THEN we have 2-problems to correct.

Yes,that's my Son he gets them ready for shipment & I have to say he's the expert on these 4500's.I am busy taking orders,packing,ordering parts & then work on repairs that come in while he takes care of the machines we ship out.

Bob

Kevin or Bob,

I would be very greatful if one of you would tell me what you adjusted to get this fixed. And if possible post a picture of what you adjusted. Mine seems to be OFF just a bit so I think I would like to check it out. I believe it will only need a small adjustment but don't want to start in the wrong place and make a little problem into a big one.

Thanks in advance for any help you give.

Sure, glad to help.

Make a stitch in forward and make a separate stitch in reverse.

Pull the thread out of each run of stitches and measure the distance between the needle holes on both the forward and reverse stitch.

They should be the same.

If they aren't you can turn the feed regulator nut (marked with a red arrow) in either the forward OR the reverse lever position.

In my case the reverse stitch was shorter so I turned the nut clockwise with the lever in the reverse position until the holes started opening up and finally measuring the same distance as the forward stitches.

Keep stitching and measuring then turning the nut until you get the desired stitch distance.

It took me about five different test stitches to get it where it had to be.

post-19342-062937800 1341104205_thumb.jp

Edited by Tree Reaper

Thank you Thank you Thank you.

I checked mine out and it was OFF slightly about a 1/4 of a needle width in 5 stitches so I only had to turn the knob about an 1/8 of a turn. I am guessing we may have to check this each time we change stitch length.

Sure, glad to help.

Make a stitch in forward and make a separate stitch in reverse.

Pull the thread out of each run of stitches and measure the distance between the needle holes on both the forward and reverse stitch.

They should be the same.

If they aren't you can turn the feed regulator nut (marked with a red arrow) in either the forward OR the reverse lever position.

In my case the reverse stitch was shorter so I turned the nut clockwise with the lever in the reverse position until the holes started opening up and finally measuring the same distance as the forward stitches.

Keep stitching and measuring then turning the nut until you get the desired stitch distance.

It took me about five different test stitches to get it where it had to be.

post-19342-062937800 1341104205_thumb.jp

You're very welcome, I can't believe I helped someone with a sewing machine problem! :lol:

I've read this thread about 25 times and I am still a bit confused. When you adjust the regulator nut, I would think you are changing the stitch length in both Forward and Reverse. Am I to understand that the solution is to slightly adjust the regulator nut when changing to Reverse? When one returns to Forward, you go back to the original setting?

Jeff C.

Hi Tree Reaper, I will just add a comment related to your feed dog height.

First, the smooth feed dog is a bit lower than the original segregated feed dog.

Set your feed dog height between 1 to 1, 2 mm, any higher it will push up your work to much. I tried to sew harness (thin straps) with the feed dog on the recommended 1, 4 mm height.

While sewing at the edge the feed dog pushed up to much causing the needle to hit at an angle. The needle exit holes came often outside the strap edge.

I lowered mine to 1, 1 mm and it works fine. Any lower than 1 mm it can hit the shuttle driver, and on 1, 1 mm it still feed good backwards.

Trox