This is a roper wallet, work in process.

post-13710-049498300 1341184602_thumb.jp

Very nice, I really like the detail and the use of the hair tool. Great!!!

Ken

Very nice, I really like the detail and the use of the hair tool. Great!!!

Ken

Thank you, Ken. Actually I didn't use the hair tool, I used a swivel knife for the hair. I think it makes more realistic looking hair. I never was very sucessful at using the hair tool, it never looks real.

Nice contouring and fine knife work! Post some photos with the finished product!:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thank you, Ken. Actually I didn't use the hair tool, I used a swivel knife for the hair. I think it makes more realistic looking hair. I never was very sucessful at using the hair tool, it never looks real.

Then I'm even more impressed, that is some excellent swivel knife work.

Ken

Nice contouring and fine knife work! Post some photos with the finished product!:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thank you very much. I will post some photos of the finished product.

Vansam ... Very fine detailed work. I have a couple comments, not that I am a great figure carver, so you can see what you think.

The right ear looks like a leaf dropped onto the horse. It needs some additional work to show the inside leading to the ear canal. Needs to be deeper and darker. The left ear needs just a little more too.

The left eye has too much eyelash or eyebrow. When you look at a picture of a horse, you don't see the eyelashes or eyebrow unless you are doing a close up macro shot. I would rework the beveling around the eye to reduce the prominence of the lash/eyebrow.

The nostrils should be deeper and darker. An undercut beveled or petal lifter could be used. Is your leather too moist? I don't see much burnishing.

I did a horse head in a horseshoe from a book of sketches by Al Stohlman published by Peter Main. I wasn't too happy with the first attempt. Then I had the opportunity to take some 200 plus photos of 14 horses at a nearby ranch. I figured out that the nostrils were too high, so moved them down a little and fixed a couple other details related to bone structure. So my second try turned out better. It helped to have a few photos of the same profile and angle. Now I'm doing it again. It has been a couple months since the last one, so I'll see if this one turns out better or not. I still need to work on the bone structure.

Keep up the great work. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

CTG

Vansam ... Very fine detailed work. I have a couple comments, not that I am a great figure carver, so you can see what you think.

The right ear looks like a leaf dropped onto the horse. It needs some additional work to show the inside leading to the ear canal. Needs to be deeper and darker. The left ear needs just a little more too.

The left eye has too much eyelash or eyebrow. When you look at a picture of a horse, you don't see the eyelashes or eyebrow unless you are doing a close up macro shot. I would rework the beveling around the eye to reduce the prominence of the lash/eyebrow.

The nostrils should be deeper and darker. An undercut beveled or petal lifter could be used. Is your leather too moist? I don't see much burnishing.

I did a horse head in a horseshoe from a book of sketches by Al Stohlman published by Peter Main. I wasn't too happy with the first attempt. Then I had the opportunity to take some 200 plus photos of 14 horses at a nearby ranch. I figured out that the nostrils were too high, so moved them down a little and fixed a couple other details related to bone structure. So my second try turned out better. It helped to have a few photos of the same profile and angle. Now I'm doing it again. It has been a couple months since the last one, so I'll see if this one turns out better or not. I still need to work on the bone structure.

Keep up the great work. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

CTG

Edited by benlilly1

Northmount, he said it was in progress. I don't think he's done yet. When he finishes I think it will be great!

I think it is great already, and if you re-read my comments, they are focused on things to consider as he completes it. Note the last line of my comment:

Quote "Keep up the great work. Looking forward to seeing it completed."

Best regards to all.

CTG