Sign in to follow this  
mogwild

Strap Cutter?

No idea what it is really.

It was given to my wife when she started getting into leather work, we think its a strap cutter. Only marking on it its "oomph" Seriously, oomph! Best guess we had was strap cutter?

Its obviously seen better days, but the handle is tight, the screws work and it adjusts just fine, neat conversation piece if nothing else.

post-16668-099868400 1341278862_thumb.jp

post-16668-008102800 1341278868_thumb.jp

post-16668-021071900 1341278873_thumb.jp

post-16668-030757400 1341278879_thumb.jp

Edited by mogwild

I forgot the exact name for it, but it cuts a channel along the bottom of shoe soles to make a hidden stich.

It came to me..a channeling knife ?

Edited by Luke Hatley

This tool is a channeller or channeler. This particular style is meant to cut a slit in the leather to about half its thickness so that after the stitching is finished the leather can be rubbed down over it to hide/protect it. And it looks like Gomph; one of the most sought after makers by those who collect leather tools.

Oh. Cool! Thanks for the info, Gomph makes more sense, now that you said it, I can make out the first "O" is actually a "G"

Oh. Cool! Thanks for the info, Gomph makes more sense, now that you said it, I can make out the first "O" is actually a "G"

May I suggest investing in a 30X jeweler's loop? They are Very helpful for seeing those dastardly Gs which look way too much like Os.

OOMPH!! <tea spew> ha ha ha ha!

Very cool tool and lucky find. Congrats.