DoubleC

I Can't Help It, The Devil Makes Me Do It

I just got a , yes, wait for it, 28 singer over 100 years old that's a handcrank. (Actually second on showed up today as nice as the first, sigh.) I am making this strap for a friend of mine. I'm waiting for the buckle to go on it and it'll be done. I sewed the backing and foam on this with a 100 year old hand crank THREE/FOURTHS machine. I am addicted to them I know, have the 15-91, treadle and now two 28 hand cranks.

I can't imagine using one of those monster things people show on here, LOL.

That's a nice machine DC. Maybe someday you'll join the big dogs and get a heavy leather stitcher. They are like night and day, compared to old small iron. I know, I have both kinds of machines. It's nice to have beautiful old machines to look at and see how thick they will sew. But, they are unlike the 441 clones, or a Union Lockstitch machine.

With old Singer iron, one maxes out at about 5/16 inch and #69 thread. With a 441 clone, one maxes out at 7/8 inch and #415 thread. Yet, just tonight I was able to rethread my Cowboy CB4500 with #92 thread and sew some seed-beaded bracelets together. It was tricky, but it did the job. I have other machines better suited to this kind of gentle work, buy I like pushing my machines both ways. In fact, I sometimes sew beaded work on my 1916 Class 66.

You're an addict just like me Wiz, you just do n't fool me:-) You love that old iron!!!!!

With old Singer iron, one maxes out at about 5/16 inch and #69 thread. With a 441 clone, one maxes out at 7/8 inch and #415 thread. Yet, just tonight I was able to rethread my Cowboy CB4500 with #92 thread and sew some seed-beaded bracelets together. It was tricky, but it did the job. I have other machines better suited to this kind of gentle work, buy I like pushing my machines both ways. In fact, I sometimes sew beaded work on my 1916 Class 66.

I respectfully disagree ;) Ours goes a lot more than 5/16 inch, shown here with a regular singer household machine for size comparison :)

post-16668-041197000 1342363129_thumb.jp

post-16668-054473000 1342363136_thumb.jp

Edited by mogwild

I have a 1948 Singer 128 and I can see where CC gets her addiction. These old machines are beautiful, tough and way roomier than modern plastic ones. I find myself fascinated by the engineering in the old bobbin winders and attachments. I have a 1948/48 Monkey Ward Model 30 rotary machine that looks like a streamliner train of the era. I finally got the so called automatic tension working on it yesterday and it's now forming a nice stitch on woven cotton.... but not so much on upholstery leather. Still, there is something satisfying about bring an old machine like that back to life. If only I could find a good source for 20x1 needles or at least something slightly longer that I can cut down with a pair of dikes.

:head_hurts_kr:

I respectfully disagree ;) Ours goes a lot more than 5/16 inch, shown here with a regular singer household machine for size comparison :)

I should have clarified what I meant by "old Singer iron." I was referring to old household style machines, line my 15-91 and model 66-1

LOL, My point is, until I take up saddle making, which I ain't, I'll sit here and use my 28 to sew all this leather you say I can't sew until I pay 2500.00!!!!!

LOL, My point is, until I take up saddle making, which I ain't, I'll sit here and use my 28 to sew all this leather you say I can't sew until I pay 2500.00!!!!!

DC, you can use whatever machines you want, within their capacities and limitations. I have 11 sewing machines, between home and industrial. I don't try to sew leather with my 1916 Singer 66-1 and conversely, I don't try to sew shirts and stuffed animals with my Cowboy CB4500. Different machines have different mechanisms, strengths and weaknesses.

You are willing and able to push your classic household machines to their ultimate limits, confident that if something breaks, you can fix it. Most of the folks who are doing leather sewing on this forum and asking about leather sewing machines, are first time machine sewers. They often have no background in repairing or adjusting sewing machines. When they do invest in a leather stitcher, most want one that will exceed their current requirements, rather than barely meet them. They don't want to have to fight with a feed system, or cut back to a smaller size of thread, because their machine isn't capable of handling the type of leather, thickness, or thread size they prefer to use.

That is what drove me to seek and obtain bigger and better sewing machines, after beginning with a Singer 96k40 straight stitch, no-reverse tailoring machine.

Please don't take my comments about old iron personally. I admire what you are doing with these machines. If you are able to sew your guitar straps on a model 28 hand-crank unit, that's great! I just prefer to use a servo motor equipped walking foot machine, with #138 or #207 thread, when I sew guitar straps and rifle slings. My smallest needle is a #23 when sewing these jobs. My big needle on a household machine is a #18, with #69 thread. Where there is a difference, viva la difference!

LOL, Wiz I don't take what you say personally. I just like to let people know when they are starting out there are other options. And I do love the old iron, it's true. And you just made a good point I didn't take into account, I can and DO work on tweak my machines all the time, not afraid of them. Yet I sure see enough questions posted on here about people needing help with their big expensive machines because they don't know how to tweak those either.

Now this:

Most of the folks who are doing leather sewing on this forum and asking about leather sewing machines, are first time machine sewers. They often have no background in repairing or adjusting sewing machines. When they do invest in a leather stitcher, most want one that will exceed their current requirements, rather than barely meet them. They don't want to have to fight with a feed system, or cut back to a smaller size of thread, because their machine isn't capable of handling the type of leather, thickness, or thread size they prefer to use.

They cant be new with no knowledge and have preferences at the same time Wizcrafts. I don't knock the more expensive machines but some folks have forgotten what it's like to not be able to AFFORD 11machines or even like the used Bosses that sell on her over 1000.00. You tell them to save money until they can and not waste time with this, that or another machine. Well it's easier to save money if you have a 200.00 singer sewing things for you to sell so you can save.

Most of the time I just post these things to twist your tail a little and get a conversation going though, thus the title. And I don't know what a servo motor is exactly, but if it's really a MOTOR and not a control, you take away everything that makes a Singer 15-91 a 15-91 removing that potted motor. I can almost walk mine now with some practice and still keep all the power it has.

Keep writing, seriously, I never get mad or upset with you, just like having these friendly disagreements. Cheryl

I enjoy our chats also. But, today isn't a good day for me to argue. I just lost one very good friend this afternoon and another is in critical condition in a hospital with colon cancer.

I am so sorry Wiz. I know nothing I say will help but my thoughts will be with you. Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl. I appreciate the kind words.

You're so welcome. Cheryl

:grouphug5vj5: Wiz... condolences.

Thanks Sylvia