Sign in to follow this  

So when you got started how did you get your name out to start selling holsters?

I started with my Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail 1911 and posted images of my holsters on my state's CHL message board and also on one of the big 1911 message boards. It wasn't long before people started asking me to build holsters for them. It just sorta grew from there. But, to this day, the majority of my holsters are 1911's. I think if I spent any time on, for example, an XD forum, I'd broaden my customer base a bit more.

I think the key is to find a couple guns you like, then build holsters for it and spend some time on the applicable message boards and build up a following. Let your customers advertise for you by building them holsters they're proud of - they'll post photos of your work and you'll pick up a few new orders every time. :)

I started with my Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail 1911 and posted images of my holsters on my state's CHL message board and also on one of the big 1911 message boards. It wasn't long before people started asking me to build holsters for them. It just sorta grew from there. But, to this day, the majority of my holsters are 1911's. I think if I spent any time on, for example, an XD forum, I'd broaden my customer base a bit more.

I think the key is to find a couple guns you like, then build holsters for it and spend some time on the applicable message boards and build up a following. Let your customers advertise for you by building them holsters they're proud of - they'll post photos of your work and you'll pick up a few new orders every time. :)

That is is holsters i want to focus on. I love the 1911. I have made a few revolver ones. Do you sell more tooled ones or just dyed ones?

I sell quite a few tooled holsters. I usually build about 8-10 orders at a time, and usually around 2-3 of them are tooled. I decided to stop offering revolver holsters. Everything I make is detail molded, which is a PITA to do with revolvers, and they never seem to fit as well once they dry. Plus, so many of the revolver requests I was getting were for models you can't buy dummies for, and I got tired of telling people I couldn't do it because there is no dummy out there.

I got started making holsters for ME and showing them at the local toy store. Now, I have an arrangement with the owner and sell 99% of all my holsters through his store. Since it's a toy gun store, I have access to pretty much the entire inventory if I need to mold something. Often times, I have to use the actual gun from the customer because they're asking for a custom holster for something that the major retailers (Uncle Mike's, Fobus, Galco, etc.) don't make. For example: A 6" 686 with a full length Aristocrat sight and under lugs.....or a IMI baby Eagle....or one of the wonder nines with a compensator and tactical light (yeah, that one was pretty much a leather box with a belt slot).

ETA: I am pretty discriminating on who I'll build holsters for. There is a HUGE liability potential with every holster sold, so I try to only provide holsters for people I'm reasonably sure aren't going to be stupid.....and by 'stupid' I mean trying to practice 'fast draw' from a concealment holster with a live gun.....or the guy who after 2 magazine's worth on the indoor range came out and asked if he could borrow some hearing protection. No leather for that one.

I made one for my wife, then for myself. Talked to the guy at my local gun store. Made a few for him. Posted pics on a local gun board. Sold some there. Some on ebay. Word of mouth is starting to pick up. I've only been at it about 6 months but doing better than I expected. Although it's seriously cutting into my fly fishing. lol I'm mostly dealing in OWB hybrids. Popularity is driving those. But I did get my first order for custom leather and I'm finishing it up. I'll post pics when I'm done. Until now all I had done was build a holster from a gun I own and hope I could sell it. Not really the best way but I moved a couple like that.

If anything, I'd say I'm getting my name out and moving holsters with price point. I'm selling them much cheaper and including shipping in the price. I can't say I'm making a lot of money doing it like that. But you gotta get your name out somehow. Once the name is out there I may be able to work in more margin. And all this is in my spare time, so I can afford to play with price a bit more.

The old grump here, started by making the first one for himself. I learned to repair tack as a kid, but scrounged up some skirting leather on our ranch and made that first one for a S&W K-22 Masterpiece - that I wish I still had. First gun I ever bought..I was around 16 at the time. After playing games in the sun and fun capitol of southeast Asia, I went into Law Enforcement and made off-duty rigs for a few friends. The word started to get around that I made holsters and more officers had me make things to their own requirements. Some folks at the local gun club saw some of my work and my customer numbers grew. All by word of mouth and a look-see at the things I made. My advertising now consists of a business card on a bulletin board at the local shooting range, and at a couple of gun shops in my area. I still make holsters upon order only, and most are pretty plain-Jane, but very sturdy and serviceable. I make mine in a different way than most makers, and take my time. I make no 'stock' items, and all rigs start with a new hand drawn pattern, which is discarded after that single use. I'm a dinky, one man operation, and folks wait for my product because nobody expects an old fart to do ANYTHING in a hurry - and that now being retired, I just might want to go fishing or shoot a few rounds of trap. But I have enough orders to keep me busy, and not make this endeavor into a JOB. I'm also very discerning as for whom I construct my pieces. Mike

P.S. The 'katsass' maker's mark makes up for any of my shortcomings.

Edited by katsass