Rogue6

Leather Bra Top

Hello all

i have been reading the posts here all day and is seam you lot are a wealth of incredible skill and resouce. Now to my request. I am looking for help/guidance/pattern assistance.

I want to make a molded leather bra like top for a female to wear at a Ren Faire. i know how to shape leather, and i know how to sew it. what i am having trouble with is what to use as a form and should i try to shape the front cups out of one piece or to seperate cups.

Now i know all ladies are not created equal when i comes to bust size.

i look fwd to hearing what yall have to say on the matter..

thanks

Not sure this will help you but, durung WW1 apparently there were women that went over seas with the solders and they were in some type of uniform well, I have seen the "bullet proof" bra that was issued in the forward areas. Perhaps theese women were nurses I dont know. If I rememebr correctly they were made from sole leather very stiff and non pliable dyed black with rivets and brass buckles perhaps a serch of Ebay may find one that could assist you in making the costume you want.

I would make each cup by itself, and with careful measurements of the lady, if possible. I would also line the cups with something like Cabretta for the lady's comfort. Do a Google Image search for Xena for some examples so that you get the look you want.

Johanna

xena2.jpgXena.jpg

post-5-1217301314_thumb.jpg

post-5-1217301327_thumb.jpg

Hi Rogue, Welcome to Leatherworker.net.

For a pattern, you might try 'reverse engineering' a style you like. Basically, grab some scissors or a thread ripper and get some pattern pieces. Obviously, you'll want to do this with cheap versions, rather than with designer labels!!! For the cup....hmmmm. One piece would look better, but would require multiple sizes of the same sized if you're doing production work. A multi-piece cup could afford some customization I'd think.

Then again...I'm speaking from a guy's perspective, so I'm probably not the best one to give advice on Bras...at least I hope not!! :spoton:

Seriously, though, I think a separate piece for the cups would be more practical. If you decide on one piece, I'd suggest checking into a (whatever they're called) adjustible torso used by tailors/seamstresses. They have dial adjustments for waist, torso thickness, bust, etc. Consider it an adjustable model that won't complain about cold wet leather. Since they're fabric covered (to allow for pinning fabrics in place), you'll probably want to cover with a waterproof membrane for the actual forming- this could be as light as saran wrap, or for something more substantial...check out Tyvek. Yep, Tyvek. The stuff is used as a house wrap and is pretty stout. However, with thicker material will increase the chance of wrinkles. Of course, you could always find a way to coat the 'model' with latex......hmmmm, laaatexxx.....Oh, ummmm....nevermind.

I hope these few ideas will help out. There are some more experienced leatherworkers here that may have some ideas too, and I'm sure they'll chime in in the next day or so.

Don't forget to post pics of your work. There's instructions for doing so in the FAQ section, but if you have any problems, just ask.

Chuck Treon did something similar to this some years back, for a display at a high dollar benefit function - he made the leather bra by using a real one as a pattern, I think, and the cups were done in mulitple pieces, and I think he made it strapless, but did have the main part around the ribcage. This had a matching set of chinks, then was also floral carved (he may have done a vest..?) He made it up to look like a cowgirl with blond braids (yarn, I think), and boots, and put this on one of the tables as a centerpiece. He was working for David's Western Store at the time, and the store still has it, in the front window in Weatherford, TX. I have to go right by there tomorrow when I run my errands, so will try to stop in and take a few pix of it...will also find out how much they are pricing it for. I do know they've almost sold it at least 3 or 4 times, but was out of the budget of the women that were interested in it...! So, will see what I find out tomorrow...! Stay tuned!

Rogue a pattern for the Bra could be bought at the local fabric shop,

also look at the women's swim suits, Hope this helps.

Rogue a pattern for the Bra could be bought at the local fabric shop,

also look at the women's swim suits, Hope this helps.

Rogue: tandy used to have a pattern pack for leather halter tops, back in the '70s. There might be some floating around ebay.

russ

Can't really add much to what has already been suggested, but I gotta say from where I sit, wet molding them would be in the category of Dream Job :yeah:

Thanks for all you ideas so far. i have tried the reverse engineering, the hard part is that mondern bras are made with a lot of spandex and are heat streached as well.

as for haveing a lady present to allow me to form the leather over her somewhat naked body. my wife wouldnt like that, and she's not game either.

i did think of the dummy idea as well so i can have an adjustable bust to make other sizes, but i am on a bit of a budget. I did just think of the old duck tape pattern. Have my model put on a nice fitting bra and i can tape over it and then remove the tape pattern.

has anyone used a method like this before?

DUCT TAPE METHOD... I HAVE USED IT FOR A LOT OF MOCCISSANS, ALWAYS WANTED TO MOVE WAY UP, BUT WIFE WONT LET ME, YOU'LL GET IT FIGURED OUT GOOD LUCK..

Edited by Luke Hatley

I'm with Jordan on this one, just make sure you case with WARM water.

I'm with Jordan on this one, just make sure you case with WARM water.

Yeah if i tried it with cold water.. it would be the first and last chance i get.

I think i am going to go with a duck tape pattern to form the cups. Once i get the form. i will need to fill the cups with something so that they can with stand the leather forming. Now i ask you, what is an easy (read here inexpensive)medium to fill/cast the empty cups.

You guys/Gals are great thanks for all your ideas

Billy

Do you have resin? We have a hobbycraft store that sells a resin to make paperweights. To cut down on the quantity mix with a cheap filler, a local concrete ornament manufacturer using fine polystyrene beads in his mix to reduce weight and expensive (double taxed) stone.

How about using a softball, baseball or mellon - depends on her size, to fill the bra. It doesn't have to be a perfect form fit does it?

ArtS

If ya go in Ebay you can get these display forms there usually only like 20.00 or less. unless ya need specific size. Bronc

How are they listed? You could always buy one and then pad it with tape to make it bigger.

ArtS

I reckon if I were going to make a mold for a bra cup

I would use the expandable foam for insulating your

house. It comes in two different types. One expands

three times its volume ,it comes in a red can at your

local Lowe's or that crappy orange place. The other

type expands less and I am not sure what color can

it comes in since I only use the red can. You can

shape it once it drys with files, rasps, knives or

knifes depending on what part of Kentucky you are

from. I can tell you that it does not last long in the

can once you spray it unless you clean the orifice

really well. I try to find places I need to insulate

whenever I am making something out of the foam.

Like around windows that are drafty and doors.

Just be careful since it has been known to expand

enough to push off the door and window trim.

If you have no other use for it, it also works for

filling in under your boat seats on small Jon boats

and the like. Or you can make fake rocks , of course

you have cover them with a layer of bondo then

paint them. Alas here I am rambling on.

WINDY

Wow spell check corrected five words, my fingers

are not keeping up with my mind.

I agree with ArtS. You should be able to use some type of ball or melon to get a size/shape idea. They have styrofoam balls at craft stores as well.

Looks like a great project, but being a cowboy in another life, I don't think my pards would appreciate me showing up to a shoot in that kind of get-up!

Cheers and a chuckle.

C79

here is one more idea, has anyone used fiberglass as a mold/form?

i have not used fiberglass..... but a long time ago i did one using Cocanuts to mould

the leather , it worked.... :red_bandana:

i have not used fiberglass..... but a long time ago i did one using Cocanuts to mould

the leather , it worked.... :red_bandana:

Thanks Luke i may give that a go coconuts are cheap

You could also try to make a mold with plaster. Generally you can buy those plaster strips they use for when you break your arm and cast a mold at a pharmacy. Do use a thick salve underneath so you can still remove it easily, don't know the english name right now for the stuff we use. If you do use this method, keep an eye on your model as it may get quite warm underneath the plaster and your model may feint. The more you cover, the bigger the chance she may feint. After you've made the mold you can then make a positive and start working.

Other option would be to take a normal bra of decent quality and fill it up with for instance coconuts or whatever comes close to the real deal in size.

Best of luck,

Harma

P.S. Yes am using my BF's account.

Edited by Alihs

Harma took the words right out of my mouth. I would get a molded cup that fits her nicely and use plaster of paris to make the form and then proceed with normal leather forming techniques. You will trash one bra but you will have a perfect mold for the job.

;)