KnotHead

A Serious Question For Leather Carvers.

Oh well if you don't have any tools it does make it harder, LMAO. OK, drag your feet toward the fire!!!! Cheryl

25.5 inches X 21 inches X 1.0 inches thick. It's heavy for sure. LOL...

How big is the granite knothead? looks plenty big to me. And as far as a poundo board........I have one and also an acrylic cutting board from WalMart .............I like the cutting board better! JMHO

Okay. The tools are in place and some scrap pieces of vegie tanned hides to play with. I have a few photos of the lucky 7 tools I bought which are just the basic 7 plus 2 because one tool in the basic 7 is larger than the lucky 7 descriptions from that lucky 7 book. This all came about from a local leather club meeting I went to on Saturday morning. Essentially, only two braiders present. But all the advice I got from a new found friend " John Wickstrom " a local carver about 30mins due south of me. He told me about the book lucky seven. I went into Tandy right after the meeting and bought all the tools that the book had listed. I knew from you all that the basic 7 set would have the tools needed to start with. But upon looking through the book I notice that there was 1 tool that was larger in that set than what was being described in the book. I found the tool needed. I also found that I would need a stylus. Got one of those too. I have uploaded the below photos of the set and an improvised or re-purposed stylus. Hope ya'll like what I've got so far. I will post my beginning work for advice from you all here.

Photos:

post-1307-0-19932000-1371496882_thumb.jp

This is the start of the re-purposed stylus I made. I got this idea from a post made on Facebook.

post-1307-0-48159400-1371496884_thumb.jppost-1307-0-03481700-1371496889_thumb.jppost-1307-0-44502300-1371496891_thumb.jp

Brian...

Brian, I am so sorry none of us mentioned a stylus. That was the first tool I bought at Michaels which has a miniscule leather work area. Had it before the basic 7. Sometimes it's just really hard to think of everything even though I'm going back less than two years :) I'm glad you have your tools and scraps to start on. Keep everything, you'll be amazed every month how much better you are than the month before. Kinda pictures in the journal of the leather journey. I'm sure you know this already though through your braiding. Good luck and can't wait for the pictures. And awesome on finding a group to work with. Cheryl

No problem Cheryl. I'm glad they make books for jus that reason. I am also very greatful that I can read. LOL... I will be posting the fabuloso beginning works of the non-master/green horn/ carver. I know. I'm opening myself to destruction. LOL...

B...

No Brian, your opening yourself up to being broke the rest of your life, LOL. There's always one more tool you just have to have, or one more kind of leather you want to try :) I just got in an order of elk, bison calf and soft beige pig lining. And I haven't opened it because I have no where to put it, LOL. And my new lacing chisel is in there too. Cheryl

Edited by DoubleC

LOL... I am already broke. LMAO..

B...

Brian, you are motivated and now you have tools, so that's a good place to start. Here's some advice I was given when I was starting off carving. Start with a simple carving pattern and some scrap leather. I was using a craftaid floral corner design. Carve and tool that design, then take a good look at what you've made and decide what you like and don't like. Then, make another of the same thing. Repeat that process five times. You will find your work has improved tremendously by the time you do it the fifth time.

Also, in case you haven't run across this recommendation yet, make sure your swivel knife is sharp. If yours is a Tandy knife they don't come from the store as sharp as you need.

Good luck and post pictures, we'll be glad to help you out.

Bob

Hi Bob. Thanks for that advice and it is very sound advice. I do have one of those cheaper swivel knives from Tandy. I still need to get the sharpener for the swivel. The value of a sharp blade can't be said enough. I do agree with that for sure. I need to get some better scrap from Tandy or something anyway. I was thinking of starting with a simple coaster or something like that. What do you all think?

B...

Yes, a coaster is about the right size. You want something you can easily tool in one sitting and that gets you practice at the basics: cutting, beveling, shading, etc.

Brian I think a coaster is a great idea.