Noah

Looking for a used rein rounder

I am needing a used rein rounder reasonably priced. Thanks.

If you can't find the real thing, something like this might work for you:

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/malco/FT195/

I used to do HVAC, and have this tool, I use it to round leather for straps. you may have to grind the edges to round them out.

Someone else left a comment here, but it seems to have disappeared. I don't know what happened to it.

They said that Weavers had some rein rounders. I looked it up, and found on page 243 of their 2007 catalog, that they have two. One for 75 and one for 105.

Thanks RDB. I know about weavers but am hoping someone will have a used one they don't use anymore and pay abit less. Like everyone I have to watch my pennies.

I have a used C. S. Osborne 11 hole rounder for sale in good shape. The price may be over your budget as I want $150.00 for it. If you or anyone else is interested let me know. Somewhere before the crash we were discussing rounders, the general consensus from all involved was the weaver rounder is a piece of fecal matter. Greg

Watch eBay for them. I see them from time to time, depending on how many are bidding you might get a pretty good deal. good luck.

Thats why I don't have one yet. I've watched ebay but the good ones always go for a lot. I haven't been able to sneak in and get one cheap yet.

I also thought about using a flaring tool but they have ridges that would have to be filed smooth.

ArtS

Art,

The problem I see with the modified flaring tools are that the step down from one size to the next is too much. I start with a big size go to the next smaller to round it in a little more, go to the next and so on. I have a 9 hole Osborne and it pretty well does what I want. Five years ago I paid about what Greg is selling his 11 hole for. If I wasn't in the middle of shop remodeling and fencing, I'd buy his rounder and his strap creaser.

If my two boys would move out I could afford both! LOL It would be a good trade off.

I didn't know that was how you used them. I thought you just chose the size hole that you needed and just did the one. I learn something every day on this site!

Thanks,

ArtS

Art,

The problem I see with the modified flaring tools are that the step down from one size to the next is too much. I start with a big size go to the next smaller to round it in a little more, go to the next and so on. I have a 9 hole Osborne and it pretty well does what I want. Five years ago I paid about what Greg is selling his 11 hole for. If I wasn't in the middle of shop remodeling and fencing, I'd buy his rounder and his strap creaser.

Hey, Noah, did you ever find a rein-rounder? I just now found this thread, and I've got a Weaver I'd love to sell for maybe $50. It's in great condition - I even smoothed the holes - but I found a really old, better one (for a ton of money) from the Douglas's vintage tools collection, and don't need the Weaver any more. It's the one that screws down, the more expensive one in the catalog.

Julia

Edited by JAM

Julia,

If he doesn't want it I'll buy it!

Art

If you can't find the real thing, something like this might work for you:

http://www.toolbarn.com/product/malco/FT195/

I used to do HVAC, and have this tool, I use it to round leather for straps. you may have to grind the edges to round them out.

I have often wondered if that flaring tool would work.

Probably A tad late to help with the rounder but when I first started making braided reins and playing around with other patterns in bruce grants cowboy book, I just used an old piece of hard wood with various diameters drilled out of it - probably not good as a permanent thing like the metal versions but it did the job and cost nothing. Plus is you need a hole bigger or smaller, you can just drill another hole.

The problem is that there are groves in the holes of a flaring tool.

Art

Julia,

If he doesn't want it I'll buy it!

Art

Art, I haven't heard from anyone else yet, so if you want it, drop me a private message.

Julia

Okay, my rounder is gone now - ArtS got it.

Julia