Attached picks are of a wet molded holster for a pea shooter. But a pea shooter on my belt, instead of in my pocket.

About 1" x 4" x 6"'s 3-4oz veg, wet molded over a nylon block. It has room for a .380 and a spare magazine. Belt tunnel set to ride the top even with belt top. It's small enough to not interfere with my front pocket.

I've worn a similar phone case, slightly smaller, for about three months. And no one batted an eye when I switched to this.

While I don't think it's "pretty" enough for a technical leather worker critique, I'm interested in what the holster guys think of the style. I see a one inch larger one holding a 9mm in my future.

So, please?

post-17065-056657500 1346351803_thumb.jp

post-17065-073361000 1346352016_thumb.jp

post-17065-094950000 1346352038_thumb.jp

Before I started making holsters I purchased a somewhat similar case supposedly made for the Ruger LCP. Most awkward thing I ever wore. It snagged on everything and it seemed like I was carrying a "murse". I never left the house with it, but it does store my pocket camera and accessories smartly, now.

Since this looks much tighter to the gun, and thus to your belt, I'd have to wear it to know for sure. Horizontal carry is more fumble than swift, in my book.

The question is "would you bet your life on it" if it is used as your your primary weapon holster?

If this is a backup weapon, I'd say that is a different story.

Jake

Jake: Not that bad if you live in Illinois and unloaded in a case is the only LEGAL way to carry. MUCH.. better than nothing, to my mind.

Nice carry case. Gives me ideas.

Thanks, Dirk

Kevin

You mean Illinois allows you to own firearms now? This is progress... :cheers:

(wink)

Jake

1346361856[/url]' post='262410']

Jake: Not that bad if you live in Illinois and unloaded in a case is the only LEGAL way to carry. MUCH.. better than nothing, to my mind.

Nice carry case. Gives me ideas.

Thanks, Dirk

Kevin

This is why one should not live in Illinois:(!

Interesting concept , "smart phone " cases attract 0 attention , and can be worn with anything from a business suit to beachware . I've given thought to prototyping something . I'd worry about speed of access .

Chris

From the perspective of having carried a handgun for over 3 decades. Any holster should provide a shooting grip in the holster before the firearm is drawn... While your case is nice it is not a holster. Better to make a pocket holster and carry it that way... Way more secure and easier to access the firearm... JMHO...

DBP

From the old grump: Gotta agree with DBP. As one who has also carried a handgun for (now) over 40 years, both on duty and off, you have to give up some speed and/or availability with a pocket, IWB, or (actually) any concealed handgun rig -- when compared to open carry.. But to my way of seeing things, you're giving up WAAAAY too much with this rig. To me, it's a nice little pouch to put your shooter in and stuff in a drawer. JMHO. Mike

Edited by katsass

Katsass and others:

I totally agree with the Carry words spoken here. I have a CC Permit in 38 states, and don't need one in several others. But..is it better to have a weapon, in a case, unloaded, per law here,,, or just be unarmed at all?

Yes, taking it and the magazine out of the pouch and setting the magazine, then racking takes a lot of time. So does waiting for LEO.

Kevin..in Illinois..The only state with NO CARRY permits.

I have to correct something here...the pistol is never meant to be unloaded. I was attempting to show that a 2nd spare will fit under the muzzle. The pistol fits in the case loaded and magazine in place, spare magazine under the muzzle.

I haven't been without a weapon at hand since 1978. And while my State allows Open Carry, I just can't do it off my own property! Business and the work atmosphere make me CC. 99% of the time it's a 9mm in my front pocket, or a .45 IWB, and or a .380 close at hand (ankle, pocket, cargo pocket, jacket pocket...).

Also, back to this rig, while the trigger is covered it allows for a "unique" draw, that will start a whole new controversy. For a quick draw, it makes you put your finger inside the trigger guard. See attached photo. When the pistol is square in the case, the trigger is covered and prevented from moving. There is a commercial rig that does the same with a vertical position/draw. I was looking for a horizontal position on the belt.

I see this pouch as the least compromise, somewhere between good holster and front pocket. I also see it no slower than any flapped holster, ala 1911 WWII. I've used commercial pouches and fanny packs and just can't.

Now, I have to say WOW...I expected a forum with a holster making section, and holster makers to be Pro Gun, Pro Carry, but WOW! You guys have made me proud.And I love the comments.

What's the best gun in a gun fight? The one you've got with ya!

post-17065-044714500 1346447644_thumb.jp

Ahh...one of my original questions. Let's say this is a prototype to a square, flapped holster. How big do you think it can get, before some one see's it as a holster, rather than a phone, pda or mini tablet case?

I'm thinking vertical, with a dummy antenna. And a back opening "slit". Still gotta be unloaded to be legal, and the case has to be closed (Illinois law) (velcro?). Maybe the mag in a left pant pocket holder?

Need to test, time to impact, VS. open carry ( not an option). Just a test.

Will prototype and take to the range Sunday. Post later.

Kevin

I have a customer for whom I produce a square, molded, leather box with a snap on the bottom flap, . . . holds an LCP perfectly muzzle down, . . . just like a holster, . . .

I think that personally I would have issues with it snagging, . . . but it is so common looking, . . . doubt if anyone would ever be made with it, . . .

Have never had one returned by an unhappy customer.

May God bless,

Dwight

Do you have a picture of it, Dwight?

I have a customer for whom I produce a square, molded, leather box with a snap on the bottom flap, . . . holds an LCP perfectly muzzle down, . . . just like a holster, . . .

I think that personally I would have issues with it snagging, . . . but it is so common looking, . . . doubt if anyone would ever be made with it, . . .

Have never had one returned by an unhappy customer.

May God bless,

Dwight

I actually make two different ones, . . . vertical and horizontal.

I couldn't find a vertical pic, . . . but this is the horizontal one.

inside the box are stacked, glued pieces of scrap leather that fill in opening under the barrel so that once it is dropped in, . . . it never re-orients itself in a different direction.

The verticle one also had a small cut out for the trigger guard, . . . allowing a cleaner grip on the weapon.

I never got to where I could present from this as well as my 1911 IWB, . . . but it was still pretty quick.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-071610500 1346506974_thumb.jpg

post-6728-023567300 1346506986_thumb.jpg

post-6728-091997500 1346507004_thumb.jpg

post-6728-020616600 1346507039_thumb.jpg

From the grump - again. OK, you've changed things from what I initially understood. This little rig may work. I think a LOT of practice would be the name of the game. I'm a very firm believer in the 'you do as you play' theory, and having trained and worked with vertical, strong side rigs, both open and concealed, for a long damned time, I feel that this would take some getting used to. Not to say it's a bad way to go, just that the feel as you go for it, when the doo-doo hits the proverbial fan and muscle memory takes over, might cause a bit of a problem. The cure, of course, is, again, a lot of practice. Mike

Edited by katsass

Something I never mentioned in my original post was how I admire the look of the lace border on your pouch/ holster. Lacing is something on my list of things to learn in the near future.

Dirck, what type of stitch did you us as I can't really tell one from another just yet...and what size is the lace, please?

Thanks,

Jake

Well after a lengthy reply and then losing it when my power went out! Just check out this link for the Sneaky Pete.

http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/prod_dtls.php?product_id=13

Jake....it's a double loop, 3/32nd natural cow lace. Wifey has taken to lacing for me and doing a bangup job.

Bobby...SneakyPete looks nice.

My nest will be a vertical for a 9mm.

I still wonder where the size point will be, until the average person asks, what's in that?