cowboy bowhunter

Start Selling Stuff

When you first started how did you start selling your stuff and getting your name out there. It seems hard to get going. Not knowing where to start selling.

I started at local craft fairs, bluegrass festivals (Instrument straps), I still do those, but have a customer base locally now and I also sell some items out on ETSY. I started that about a month ago and I have sold some items but I think it will pick up pretty good as we get closer to Christmas. We'll see!

Chief

1346361122[/url]' post='262406']

I started at local craft fairs, bluegrass festivals (Instrument straps), I still do those, but have a customer base locally now and I also sell some items out on ETSY. I started that about a month ago and I have sold some items but I think it will pick up pretty good as we get closer to Christmas. We'll see!

Chief

I second chief's suggestion on local craft events. We didn't initially do those events b/c we were focused only on pet events (I make small dog accessories), but we've actually had better sales than some of the pet events we do annually.

In my opinion any time you pay for a table you are just paying a pimp cuts into your bottom line . Wholesale has a key word in it "WHOLE[" that means all at once one place and you are done . The key to this is getting the profit and your principle back in one stroke. Unless you enjoy dealing with customers and looky loo's all day thats another kind of pain all together . Wholesale means you walk in show the stuff add it up get a check be pleasant get another order and be on your way total time maybe 10 minutes . 6 or 7 customers like that and thats all it takes nothing but wholesalers no one piece at a time stuff ,everything is by the dozen expensive stuff you hold the line at 500.00 sales . What ever denomination of money you think in is the denomination you will make . If you think hundreds then thats what you get ,If you think 500.00 then thats what you get . Your job is to raise the price so high the buyer laughs ,his job is to counter with a offer so low you cry then if you dont get to fighting you meet in the middle . What ever you think something is worth add a little to it and dont even think of coming down till you pitched it a dozen times then take a reality check and adjust . Never leave money on the table ever thats for fools and amateurs. You bought the hide did the work now get payed for it ! Say what you mean and mean what you say . Never fold with out a fight . bluesman1951quote name=cowboy bowhunter' timestamp='1346360226' post='262405]

When you first started how did you start selling your stuff and getting your name out there. It seems hard to get going. Not knowing where to start selling.

Find people you know in the field that you're crafting for and make stuff for them as an "advertisement" cost (I gave my friends 50% off).

Most of my sales lately have been from a blues guitar forum that I'm an active member in. Once I felt I was ready for a storm of orders, I told them all what I was up to. I've been pretty busy every since and never even really worry about my bottom line or how much I'm making (my hourly rate easily covers everything). In my case, it really only took one good friend to order something before they all started jumping in. It's the same thing with the motorcycle gear and electronic device cases too. Make a tool bag or seat for a biker friend that parties a lot and now I get orders. Made a kindle cover for my wife who's in school, and now I get a lot of students stopping by my office asking about it.

For me it was a quite innocent comment. Someone online asked what I had been up to... so I posted a picture of a "practice piece" Compliments :) Then I said "I think I'm gonna make me a guitar strap." My friend John said... "Sign me up for one of those." And I was off and running. And I don't give them 50% off or sell my straps for $40 either. Funny thing is... I still haven't made MY strap. LOL

If you use your own products, keep a few of your business cards in your wallet. I've handed out quite a few cards while walking my dog and people stop to admire her collar.

Maybe you can get some friends on board... for example, make them a guitar strap for 50% off in exchange for them carrying a few of your cards with them in case someone asks where he got it.

I even got a sale from my mother-in-law's neighbor who admired my MIL's dog's collar.

I made a shop on Etsy to get started, so that I had a site to send people to so they could look at examples and prices, and go so far as to make an order.

If you use facebook and have a lot of friends with the same interest, put a couple of photos on there too. I show a rare breed of dog (saluki) and have over 100 facebook friends around the world who are also into my breed. You don't need to sound spammy, just a "look what I made today!" friendly post. I once posted a photo of a finished collar that I was particularly proud of, and made a sale from a doggie friend.

Well, no one said it was going to be easy.

First you need to figure out where your items best fit.

What do you make? If you make guitar straps, you don't want to market to non-guitar players.

Are you making a product line, or are you only doing custom orders?

How many items can you handle? You don't want to get an order for 100 by the end of the month when you can only make 10 a year.

Do you specialize, or will you do whatever someone wants?

You need to know your market, and your customer base. Where do they look for the items you make?

Can you get your items into a retail location? Wholesale like Bluesman possibly?

I would not do consignment, as it can cause issues. If they want to sell your item, have them buy it up front, and be done with it.

What price level are you shooting for? People interested in $$$$ items usually don't shop for them at craf fairs, fleamarkets, or other discount places. If you are wanting to get $$$$ you need to project $$$$ in you attitude, business, and your product. Watch the movie Con Artist (netflix), it will give you a different perspective on art marketing which can apply to other mediums.

There is a lot to running a small business, more than just hanging a shingle out, and waiting for orders. You may want to look into the new Dave Ramsey book Entre-leadership it is written for small businesses.

Breaks over, gotta get back to work........

Someone said, and I forget who it was.... "Do one thing and do it well." I tend to agree with that when it comes to entrepreneurship. Far too many folks "diversify" then get too involved in their variety of products and end up losing money. Some of the most successful entrepreneurs make one thing. Paper clips, staples... cookies, bbq sauce, chicken poop lip balm, monkey butt powder. Only when the business is "in the black" do they add one or two products. Just something to think about.

I think Biggun laid out for you the things you need to decide, BEFORE you can go to market with anything.

It's called a business plan. See if where you live, or nearby, is a SCORE mentor. Senior Corp Of Retired Executives. They will be happy to help you develop a basic business plan, and then, later a marketing plan. All for the nominal fee of...FREE.

They are an affiliate of the Small Business Administration. Check with your local Chamber of Commerce to find them.

BTW, you handle says something about bow hunting??? How about you take Sylvia's idea and do something you know about?????

Just some thoughts. Good luck!

Kevin