Sign in to follow this  
equiss

Help....custom Knife Sheath

Hi all, I got stopped by my neighbor this morning that wants a knife sheeth for his knife; I have several years worth of the leather crafters and saddlers journal, and I have an index somewhere...after tearing the shop appart for a few hours, I cant find the article index but I know they have several articles on how to make a knife sheeth!

Does anyone have a leather crafters and saddlers journal article index that they could help me quickly look up where (what issue) the articles for making knife sheeths are located? Otherwise it is going to take me another two weeks to thumb through my magazones to find them!

HELP PLEASE lol

Charlene

I don't have an index, but GOOGLE ...youtube... then "knife sheath making".. Several videos on HOW TO.

Try that for a really good start.

Kevin

What kind of sheath do you wan to make ? Fold over or 3 piece front back and welt all the way around ?

What kind of sheath do you wan to make ? Fold over or 3 piece front back and welt all the way around ?

lol...I don't even know how to answer that...the one he gave me out of fabric has a loop for belt, then the loop around the knife handle to secure the knife. I KNOW I have several "how to" articles in the leather crafters and saddlers journal, but short of thumbing through several 100 copies, I know if I could just get ahold of the index that would help a ton :0)

thank you

Charlene

I do not have an index, however I recently searched through my LC&SJs for knife sheath patterns. Here is a list of some of the ones I found:

Jul/Aug 2010 pg 28 Frontier Knife Sheath

Sept/Oct 2008 pg 12 Sheaths for two Green River Knives

Mar/Apr 2007 pg 50 Randall Military style with sharpening stone pouch

July/Aug 2003 pg 34 Custom Pancake Knife Sheath

Nov/Dec 2001 pg 34 Making a Custom Knife Sheath, pg 58 Two sheath patterns, pg 66 Custom Knife Sheaths

Mar/Apr 1996 pg 23 Making a Custom Knife Sheath, pg 52 Making youself a Sheath for that special knife.

I have a couple more sitting on my bench in my shop when I get there tomorrow i will see what issues those are and let you know.

This should at least get you started.

Scott

Edited by camano ridge

Here are a few more that may help depending on what you are looking for.

Sept/Oct 2004 pg 32 Native American Knife Sheath. pg 74 Beautiful Knife Sheath.

Jan/Feb 1999 pg 62 Cross Draw knife sheath

July/Aug 1996 pg 20 Making Welted Double edge Scabbard (Sheath).

A fold over is also refered to as a pouch sheath Just one sown edge. A double edged or three piece is a front and back piece plus a welt (leather insert between front and back piece along the seam. On most any sheath you will want a welt a leather piece that fits in between the front and back along the seam. This will keep the edge of the knife fron cutting your thead.

Hope these help. I make a lot of sheaths. If their is any way I can help further just ask.

Scott