Sign in to follow this  
SooperJake

Poly Vacuum Bag Thickness

20 mil or 30 mil? Seems like 20 would allow better boning through the bag.

opinions?

Jake

30 mil.

10 mil doesn't appreciably change how much detail you can get (...should get) but it can make a difference in the durability of the bag. I used some very cheap bags and ended up damaging the bag, which resulted in loss of vacuum...back up and punt.

I typically use the bag rolls, and make my own bag. With the 30 mil, I make the bag well over sized and use it several times before I "run out of bag".

Meaning, You are putting more than one holster in at a time to form them, Mike?

Jake

30 mil.

10 mil doesn't appreciably change how much detail you can get (...should get) but it can make a difference in the durability of the bag. I used some very cheap bags and ended up damaging the bag, which resulted in loss of vacuum...back up and punt.

I typically use the bag rolls, and make my own bag. With the 30 mil, I make the bag well over sized and use it several times before I "run out of bag".

Meaning I make the bag large enough for more than one holster, and use the bag more than once. The bags get expensive over time, and if you have to cut off a little each time to open the seal (even if you cut it open on only one side, you still lose a little each time because of the gap between the "tray" and the sealing strip) a gallon size bag quickly becomes too small to use. So, I make the bag over sized and over the course of 6-8 holsters I work it down to the size of a gallon bag, or smaller.

My bags are 15 mil purchased 45 inches wide from JoAnn Fabric.

I fold over one end, . . . apply contact cement about 2 inches wide down each side, . . . and press together giving me a bag.

I add my hose bib connection.

The open end is sealed around a wooden dowel, . . . and I never need to cut off anything.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight, what does Jo Ann' Fabric call the material? Sold by the yard I assume, also?

Thanks,

Jake

My bags are 15 mil purchased 45 inches wide from JoAnn Fabric.

I fold over one end, . . . apply contact cement about 2 inches wide down each side, . . . and press together giving me a bag.

I add my hose bib connection.

The open end is sealed around a wooden dowel, . . . and I never need to cut off anything.

May God bless,

Dwight

I think he may be referring to the heavy vinyl you buy by the yard. It's usually where the roll goods are in the back and are mixed in with the felt backed, vinyl table cloth material. I bought some from my local True Value Hardware store, I got the really thick stuff and will be making sleeves to put around my cased straps. I figure it will keep the moisture content at the right point for me as I work up the strap. I'll just slide the sleeve down as I work.

I never thought of using it for vacuum forming. That puts a whole new slant on things.

SooperJake, . . . Sylvia told you about it for sure.

I saw a friend's unit he uses for laminating doors, windows, door frames, . . . his was a bit thicker, . . . tried to use it on holsters, . . . seemed not to work to suit me.

The first holster I made with this was for a full size 1911, . . . slid the gun out, . . . let it dry, . . . had to jam the gun to get it into the dried holster, . . . thought for a minute I would have to cut it off the gun.

My bag is about 24 inches square, . . .

I use a vacuum pump from Harbor Freight, . . . does everything I need.

May God bless,

Dwight