Tree Reaper

Bottle Cooler

This was made for a birthday gift, the guy has a camp in an area called big pine.

I added a belt loop and it has a foam liner to keep the drink cool.

post-19342-0-83300600-1348445673_thumb.j

Kevin can you put on here some time how you make those? Just like any other molded thing with the bottom sewn on? I think those are so cool. c

Had to edit, what ARE those in the vase? LOL. Inquiring minds.......

Edited by DoubleC

The book, THE ART OF HAND SEWING LEATHER has a very good illustration on how the sewing is done starting on page 30.

Two pieces of leather, one I make 9 1/4" x 5" and the disc on the bottom is 3 1/8".

Getting the measurements right was the tricky part in having the bottle fit the finished product.

It helps to use a form, I cut a form from cedar on my band-saw but you could use any round shape that is the proper size.

A curved awl helps in pushing the holes through the top and into the edge of the leather for sewing.

post-19342-0-47575700-1348448573_thumb.j

what ARE those in the vase?

We're not sure

Edited by Tree Reaper

Nice work, Tree Reaper. Those are called 'Money Plant'. When the plant dries for fall it looks like it has coins on it.

Thanks for that, I've never really looked at them before. :lol:

I had a closer look and they are real, real dead.

I didn't think they were dead, in the picture they look like silverish/beigish disks, LOL. I didn't know they were real flowers or something :huh:

Nice piece Reaper..It'll come in handy and having it on a belt loop keeps the hands free for making the fire.. ;)

Oh, by the way, the plant looks like, what is known as Honesty..my girlfriend is trying to grow some of it at the mo..and she's be real jealous of that vase full..

There's some good pics on Google images CC and from what I understand, they have their seeds in the transparent part.. ;)

Ahem...back on a leather related note, lol.. I'm sure your friend will love it Reaper..

Regards

Phil

From whose mind this creativity comes? is that you?

Good job, very nice never thought about something like this a bottle cooler you have made.

Edited by AnnaSthesia

Hi AnnaSthesia;

The idea comes from "sewing with curved needles"

The Art of Hand Sewing Leather/Al Stohlman

I've only made two so far but I'm very happy with both.

I ordered the foams on line but I was in Wall-mart last week and they had the same ones I ordered in the boating section.

i sell alot of these as well as can coolies people eat them up. i cant make enough of them. i've posted a bunch of pics of some i done, pretty simple they are a great starter piece when first starting out in leather ....i think.