Sixer

Gum Rubber Leaving A Rough Texture On Holsters

I've been using a 20-ton arbor press with sheets of gum rubber on top and bottom to pre-mold my holsters.

Overall I really like the results... but the rubber is leaving kind of a rough texture on the leather. I've wiped down the rubber a number of times, it feels smooth to the touch... but I still manage to get that rough look on the holsters.

Does anyone else have an issue with this? Is there some kind of flexible material I could put between the holster and rubber to keep the leather smooth?

If you look closely at the pic... you can kind of see what I'm talking about.

Appreciate any advice ;)

post-13450-0-20612000-1348509714_thumb.j

Try molding your leather in a plastic bag, I don't know how exactly you are "Pre-molding" your holsters, but I have found if I put my leather in a bag, or under a sheet of plastic/ vinyl or something that it doesn't leave a tool mark. It sounds like what is happening is when the rubber is stretching around your leather on the mold, that it is expanding, and when it contracts it is grabbing the leather. Using a thin smooth plastic layer should take out the direct rubbing, kinda like washers or moleskin.

Try Ryan's suggestion, . . . and while you are at it, . . . lighten up on the pressure.

It doesn't take a lot of pressure to mold a holster.

Also, . . . what thickness do you have on top? You should have two layers, . . . each 1" thick, . . . at least that is what worked for me.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks fellas!

Ryan, I'll give the plastic bag / vinyl a try.

Dwight, I have multiple layers on both top and bottom... I'll have to measure them again but I know it's over an inch thick on both.

is it 1" thick overall or is each layer at least 1" thick.... there's a big difference.... if it's multiple sheets of thinner rubber that's more than likely the problem.... the thinner sheets will expand more when under pressure and cause, for lack of better words, an odd texture on the surface of the leather.... the amount of pressure being used is also a likely culprit....

I've been using a single 1" layer on top and another on bottom in a 12 ton press and haven't had any problems....

Just like Josh, I use 1" on top and bottom with a 12 ton. I know exactly what you're talking about and it's a result of too much pressure combined with too much moisture in the leather. Ease off both a bit and it will go away.

Thanks guys!

Josh you nailed it man... I'm using multiple layers of thinner rubber that add up to 1" +. I'm also sure that I am probably pressing to hard.

So, it sounds like I need to order some new rubber and ease up a bit :)

Appreciate it fellas.

I'd say change only the rubber out first and see how that works out.... if you're still getting surface deformation then lighten up on the pressure a bit....

This gum rubber is only rated between 2800 and 3800 psi, that's only a ton and a half.

You can easily get that on a shop press without much effort.