dickf

Another Pull The Dot Thread

I'd like to know what the options are for setting these quickly and reliably AND making the dimple in the cap. Prices and places to buy would earn an extra gold star.

Thank you!

I'm getting my first ones in this months order so I can't tell you how to set them yet, they have setters and anvils made for them, but you can get anything you want at Springfield Leather Company and if you call them toll free they;ll talk to you about the correct way to set them, etc. They have awesome customer service. Cheryl

I should refine my question, I think.

Is there a PTD die that puts the dimple in the cap for the Press-N-Snap tool? I think this is the route I'm going to take.

Thanks!

Update: I called the manufacturer and several other places and nobody seems to know of a die to fit the pres n snap that will dimple the cap.

Oh well!

Update: I called the manufacturer and several other places and nobody seems to know of a die to fit the pres n snap that will dimple the cap.

Oh well!

This were I got my press-n-snap tool.

http://www.rochfords...5_A_CatID_E_421

I would love to find out how to put a dimple in the pull the dots also.

I think you have to get the big-boy setter and dies from DOT. How do you like the the pres-n-snap?

Did you ever get this resolved? Interested in a resolution. Thanks

I think you have to get the big-boy setter and dies from DOT. How do you like the the pres-n-snap?

I think the Press-n-snap is fantastic. I have set over 150 so far on it without a mistake. I recommend getting the bench mount for the press-n-snap.

As for the dimples in the caps. I got to think they are set during manufacturing. I have seen Milt Sparks pull-the-dot snaps with the dimple and no writing on them. The snaps I have from DOT have no dimple and say "pull the dot" on them. I am wondering if the ones with the dimples are old style from DOT.

I think the Press-n-snap is fantastic. I have set over 150 so far on it without a mistake. I recommend getting the bench mount for the press-n-snap.

As for the dimples in the caps. I got to think they are set during manufacturing. I have seen Milt Sparks pull-the-dot snaps with the dimple and no writing on them. The snaps I have from DOT have no dimple and say "pull the dot" on them. I am wondering if the ones with the dimples are old style from DOT.

I actually just scored a Press-n-snap off ebay for about $50 less than I would have bought new. I've set some Line 24 snaps and some sample Pull The Dots, and you're right - perfect snaps each and every time. I wish I would have bought this thing years ago!

I called the folks who make the Press-n-snap and the DOT people. The dimples are a result of using dies from DOT and are not available for the Press-n-snap tool. Hoover, the maker of the tool, suggested aligning the word 'Dot' on the snap cap with the direction to pull. That is, to use the word to indicate where to pull. The most inexpensive setter option to create the dimple and using Scovill's dies is like $200-something. I think using the word is a viable option at this point and is what I'll do.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

Edited by dickf

Just curious ... would it be possible to use a nail setter or even a nail to add the dimple? It's an extra step, but serves the purpose to indicate the direction to pull. Just a thought. :dunno: