Bigfoot

Sewing Machines Anonymous Counciling Needed!

LMAO! I would hardly classify this as misuse of taxpayers dollars as the 30 seconds it took are far outweighed by the fact that we had been sitting there for over 8 hours waiting. Alas, boredom had set in and since none of us had eaten all day, we were a bit peckish. Maybe its all excuses on my part, but I HAD to have that machine :)

As for being the leader, I only have two machines, the one in the aforementioned story ( All true BTW) and one of the Singer's in the arched wood boxes with the flip up motor that is very beautiful, but again, I don't even know if it works. I am saving for a Cobra class 4 so maybe this will be the start of a true fettish!

"LMAO" Yes well, the thought of the poor unsuspecting couple approaching the machine to take it home,only to have three armed police officers burst from an un-marked van and grab the sewing machine out from under them without so much as a "Sorry, we got here first".....

That had me in tears laughing like it was something straight out of a movie.

Collecting sewing machines is kind of a funny/strange hobby.

I didn't start out collecting them as much as I was just "accumulating" them because someone would throw one out or give it away and I couldn't leave it there.

I like sewing machines and I like to use them.

I do some heavy cloth work (bags, packs and covers for tool boxes) and I would like to expand my knowledge into leather work, witch is what brings me here.

I'm a tool and die maker by trade and the more sewing machines I acquired the more of an interest I took in figuring out how the parts are made and assembled and how to repair and maintain them.

It seems to be something of a symbiotic relationship that most people have with their sewing machines and that also tends to bring the funny stories out about what people are sometimes willing to do for their "intimate little machines".

And besides, it would have been a HUGE waste of tax payer dollars if you had missed that machine and come home with nothing.... :P

well im not sure to the number of machines i have or there numbers but ive got a few. n i dont like anything new. i have a newer neels machine it n i dont get along. but i have a champion straight stitcher, american straight stitcher, landis 12, 4 29-4 one is a long arm k, a singer cylinder smaller one, post machine, an anker which is similar to a 31-15, singer 111-153, a singer industrial sewer, a fur machine, 3 or 4 singers for parts or whatever, a newr singer that i havent got going i just got it, an oddball type i had to look up to figure out whats its for n it like a chain stitcher that does embroidery, ya got to see it to know what im talking about lol, plus not really sewing machines but i have 2 cinderellas, a quilting machine n of course the newer machine that im not crazy for cause its computerized is the 12 needle embroidery machine. when runs right its great. oh n i have couple old house hold sewing machines to. n i keep looking for more lol. no addiction here.

So wait, whats number 8 leatherkind? I have a funny story about how I aquired my Singer treadle machine. I was conducting surveillance on a house for a drug investigation with five other guys in a van. We were in a residential area and an old couple dragged this machine out to the curb and put a "Free" sign on it. This was at about 11 AM, and towards 4:30 PM, people started coming home from work, and the woman from up the street came by, hawked the machine and began walking back to her house, where she was clearly explaining her intent to grab it to her husband.

I had already decided this was MY machine, although I couldn't do anything about it being in the van. I told the driver we needed to grab it, but he was reluctant to get out and grab it. Finally, as the woman and her husband got about 25 feet from the machine, I convinced my guys to help me grab the machine.

We back the van up, and three burly dudes in police raid gear jump out of the van. I open the back hatch, they grab the machine and toss it in the back. The driver says in his best police voice, "I'm sorry ma'am, the sewing machine is wanted for questioning."

We slam the doors and drive off to another surveillance location. I'll never forget the look of shock and surprise on the woman's face as this 30 second event unfolded. It was priceless! Needless to say, we laughed so hard we cried afterward. I still have the machine, but I don't even know if it works!

Mike

Hi Mike,

That is soooo funny and priceless, never expected a reply like that...I think you probably know how addicted you are! :notworthy:

Nope, no addictions there :)

Oooh Cheryl, I think that fine collection has got qualify for a mild to medium addiction!? :yes::P

Yes, I just didn't have the heart to break it to him :-) (He needs an inpatient rehab not our group, LOL)

Nope, no addictions there :)

She lol I am a female sewing machine addict lol but i use most of the machines i am a saddle, shoe, heavy duty sewing leather repair shop so need various machines for various projects. and always looking for more lol.

OH lol, well if you're female then of course it isn't an addiction. :P

Hello everyone, My name is Scotty,

I have been a sewing machine addict for a few years now, I have several of the industrial singer machines, a champion stitcher, a British shoe machine, and a few i don't recall. Looking to get the cobra class 4 soon....My wife calls it a sickness. i guess in some way she may be right.lol

Hi Scotty....never thought I'd see this thread resurrected but it made me smile going back through it. It's ok you are among friend's here. I have since acquired 2 more 15-91s since I made my last entry to this. I love my singers and FINALLY I sewed some corduroy on mine two days ago as a repair for a friend and that seemed to sooth my anxiety :)

There are lots of tips in here about remaining in a harmonious relationship while still being addicted LOL. Cheryl