TwinOaks

Batch Bomb alert

Hi folks, I just installed a 'smiley and emoticon' prog. from SweetIM.com. It's supposed to give the user a good supply of smileys to use in email, forums, etc. Once I got it, it didn't perform as expected so I tried to remove it. Apparently removing the program sets off a batch bomb that opens as many windows as your RAM can handle.

This is just a heads up for anyone looking for additional 'gizmos' for your desktop.

....And some spineless worm is sitting in his dark bedroom giggling....

Yeah, probably. Interesting thing is that it only happened when I uninstalled it. The prog opens a browser window ( internet exploder 7 in my case) to tell you that it's uninstalled. That's where the bomb went off, and started opening 'new tab's. I was fortunate that it didn't get loose on the desktop. I had that happen not too long ago on my old HP machine- reach over yank the plug out of the wall. Then reboot in safe mode and go find the recently modified bit of code. <sigh> I dearly wish I had the savvy to retro-infect the author of the virus. Of course, my idea for that is a lead based virus....

:thinking:

.......nahhh waste of money.

Yep a classic IE highjack. I see that one at least 20 or more times a month in the shop. There is also a system highjack known as XP Antivirus 2005-2008. That one is a nasty one too. It will take over your whole system and render the admin rights useless until you buy their product and then the software still invades your O.S. Their are 2 solutions to the problem. Deep removal which in 85% of the cases I have handled did not work because the highjack will replicate itself twice for every attempt to remove it, 2nd option is to remove it permanantly by doing a destructive format and reinstall of the O.S. The second option works thoroughly and completely. Just make sure you back up your data before attempting the second option.

:huh::huh::huh:

Simple, download Firefox!

ummm....not download....'use instead'.

I've got it on both the computers already. I've just never taken the time to add all my bookmarks. :(

Well, one more thing I've gotta do.....

Simple, download Firefox!

I know some people who use Firefox only and have more viruses than anyone else I know. I think its the sites you visit and what you download that is more the problem than what browser you are using.

Without trying to get terminally flamed here on LW, might I suggest a Mac.

Dave

As an IT kinda guy, I will testify to the fact that Microsoft's IE is THE most unsafe internet browser out there today. It is at least 3 versions behind the safety built into Firefox, Opera, or Safari . If you can afford to pay three times the amount for a Desktop, or Laptop, go right ahead and buy an Apple, it is safest so far, overall., although Linux on a PC is the equivalent in safety, and a lot cheaper.

If you use Firefox, make use of the extensions available!!!!!..."No Script", Adblock, etc, fortify your internet usage. Disabling Javascripts, etc. There are things you can do to protect yourself.

You are right Anne, it's most often the User...lol. This year, though, there has been an increase in Sites that will manipulate your box to their advantage. And they are nailing even the most seasoned Surfer. With the increase in Apple sales, there is now an increase in problems to their OS also.

Downloading AVG (or its equivalent) and initializing its Internet protection will enable you to see the phishing sites, and potential malicious code placers, especially right in Google searches. Google just pops up anything related, and hackers take advantage of that by working hard to get their sites listed on the first page of a search, thereby tempting you to click on their malicious sites. AVG has a little icon on each link that will warn you. To a person like me who depends on searches, this is gawdsend.

I've had to fix too many peoples computers over the years. I built my first computer in 1982, and had my first network in 1985. I spent close to 15 years in IT, as a lead Network Admin for Fortune 500 Cos., until I couldn't handle the 24/7 anymore.

Now I just do Leather. Spend most of my surfing here on Our Forum, I know it's safe here...LOL

Sorry for the rant, just in that kind of mood.

Mac malware exists, but with 90% of the users using Windows, the money incentives aren't there to create it. Firefox exploits exist, but again, the number is relatively low. Give these guys time, they'll write bad code for every flavor. The most insidious malware can't be detected by scans and software, and silently turns your computer into a zombie, using your broadband connection to spam or spread the virus. They don't want you to find it and excise it- they want it to remain hidden. There is also a social engineering factor to receiving malware- tricked into clicking "here" you get directed to another site. Malware writers are even blackmailing users with popups, "Your computer is infected! Pay us $25 and we'll take it off! hahahahaha"

Things you can do:

Watch the address bar on the bottom left of a page. Hover your cursor over a link and look at where it will take you before you click. Don't believe emails that say "You won!" or make other fabulous promises. Those are lies that play on greed. Keep your Internet security software updated and on. Delete spam without opening it. Only download from trusted sites. If an email asks you for your password or other info- it's fake. The real company has that stuff on file. When something gets through and breaks your system, go to www.geekstogo.com and get expert help.

Johanna

Good tips Johanna.

I've got another method I can use, but I'm loathe to do it. Transmission is 110% secure, but it's really dang slow- right there with dial up.

I hooked an Abacus up to the phone. :)