customer had an old sewing machine in her barn, asked me if i wanted it. she said it was an industrial machine. needless to say, i went to look at it. did not "know" the machine, but it turned nice and smooth so i brought it home to save it from a probable death by neglect. its a Singer 251-12. cant find hardly ANYTHING on this machine online. anyone know what this machine is for, when was production, etc. if nothing else, i think it would be good for my test garments. thank for any info anybody can give.

really. no one knows about this machine? come'on guys, help me save this machine. throw the dog a bone.

and what does the "time oneline" mean? been on here a little longer than 36m.

May I suggest you type "Singer 251-12" in Google? Loads of info along with a You Tube video.

ferg

see http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/model-list/classes-200-299.html. I find this list a very handy reference. It has everything you were asking, plus the needle system.

Chris

So I want a sewing machine so I can do bigger project and came across a nice Singer 251-12 at a very nice price will this machine sew Veg-Tan up to 6-7 I mostly use 4-5. I see some say it's to fast of a machine but pully can be changed to slow it down

9 hours ago, zzrguy said:

So I want a sewing machine so I can do bigger project and came across a nice Singer 251-12 at a very nice price will this machine sew Veg-Tan up to 6-7 I mostly use 4-5. I see some say it's to fast of a machine but pully can be changed to slow it down

No. It isn't strong enough to sew veg-tan; just soft temper chrome tan and synthetics. The feed is bottom only which means the presser foot will drag against the leather and fight the bottom feed dogs, which normally have fine teeth for transporting light cloth. The machine has an oil pump which sits in an oil bath and needs to spin fast to distribute the oil. The maximum thread size would be #92 (15 pounds test).

If you decide you must buy this high speed garment sewing machine and want it to sew soft temper leather, you'll be smart to convert it into a roller foot machine.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

No. It isn't strong enough to sew veg-tan; just soft temper chrome tan and synthetics. The feed is bottom only which means the presser foot will drag against the leather and fight the bottom feed dogs, which normally have fine teeth for transporting light cloth. The machine has an oil pump which sits in an oil bath and needs to spin fast to distribute the oil. The maximum thread size would be #92 (15 pounds test).

If you decide you must buy this high speed garment sewing machine and want it to sew soft temper leather, you'll be smart to convert it into a roller foot machine.

OK thank I'll pass on it

If it's dirt-cheap, you could buy and resell it as well.

On 2/2/2022 at 9:19 AM, DrmCa said:

If it's dirt-cheap, you could buy and resell it as well.

250 and that's a good point

$250 does not leave much of a margin.