DoubleC

Have Two Guitar Straps In A Local Art Gallery

With the third possibly going in a music store tomorrow when we speak to the owner. The guys working were very positive. The Art Gallery is run by a Jeweler and 40% of the proceeds go to the art programs in the schools. What a win-win. Might seem like it would be better to sell them without a commission but I like the idea of helping the local schools keep their artistic programs, music, drama, art.

The music store charges 30% commission but it's a great place to get my work seen by locals since it's the only one around here.

I was a little disappointed that the store I took my jewelry to specifically, thought my things were 'too country and western' for their clients. I guess I had never viewed it that way, unique and different, but not country and western. She also said it was a little 'spooky' LOL. I kinda liked that. So anyway the Jewelry will go with me to the tack consignment place along with my rhythm beads.

Once I got out the door things went very easy. Caitlin, the job coach that went with me was a big help. Doing things like giving out her business cards, and mine, and collecting them from other people which I probably would have forgotten. People were nice and I enjoyed it a great deal. For once we had a beautiful sunny fall day. Overall it was a big success. Just doing it and not freaking out would have been success enough.

I liked the comments I got from the store owner who thought my jewelry was country and western type stuff. I honestly hadn't ever considered that. It gave me new ideas on what my target market is.

Thank all of you who helped get me out the door this morning and earlier. I wanted to write each of you individually and I will just as soon as I can catch my breath. Cheryl

Yay! Good for you!! I know how hard it is to put yourself out there like that..be proud-great things are going to happen for you:)

OH I am so proud that I did it, and so tired now that it's done. But today made the return trip to the music store tomorrow look like nothing. Thank you so much, Cheryl

Excellent result Cheryl. Good job.

Can you believe I really did it? No panic, no running screaming through the streets, LOL but man I'm worn out now.

Speaking as one who has thousands and thousands of these experiences under his belt ,I would like to say well DONE ! Congradulations ! I am against the commission thing . One and only one way to do business CASH and CARRY but you must find this out for your self . Never make two trips to get payed ! I wish you good luck with this ,I have never seen it work not once in all my years . If its good enough to carry its good enough to buy ,simple as that . I could fill a ocean with compliments and aint that nice comments from people ,but last time I checked "Smiths " only likes money payments in exchange for their products . Compliments dont spend any better than board game money . I am very pleased that your day went well and you had some sucess with sales . I hope you have many more good days with sales . Rember "EYES WIDE OPEN ALWAYS" All my best BILL

I was just getting ready to write you. Yes I know commission and consignment isn't an ideal situation but it gets me a chance to have my work seen. Actually until I get some more made up the longer they take to sell the better. That's the more people get to see them locally. And hopefully order custom straps. So I hope it works out like that. He said when I had more to just go ahead and bring them in if I wanted. It was a great day Bill, it truly was. And no one really owns the gallery. He provides the space for local artists, and the artists themselves staff it. I wouldn't mind doing that too once in a while because I haven't gotten to spend nearly enough time in it looking around. Great day but really exhausted right now. Cheryl

It's not as scary when you're doing it as your imagination builds it up to be before. Trust me, 2 days ago I thought I was having a heart attack my anxiety was so high. Thank you David. Cheryl

You did really well, Cheryl and although, yes, its commission based, at least you got out there and presented both yourself and your work.

I know, it is a hard task putting yourself in the limelight and I'm sure, just as hard letting your work out to the public gaze, but it can be rewarding too. ;)

I know from friends who own an art gallery / shop, that they sometimes have a 'Meet the Artist' evening, because people like to see the artist and be able to chat with you, plus that in itself, could either lead to new orders or to new ideas for future projects..so you getting out there and meeting the potential customers for your work is always a good thing..

If your jewelry is a little more on the country and western side of things for that small shop, there are other places, or maybe even have one or two pieces to sell, alongside your guitar straps? Perhaps if you consider the western side of things, some place that sells to tourists, would love to sell work by a local artist?

One thing to remember, is that not all jewelry shops will have that woman's...err...taste.. or her client base.. A different place could quite welcome your work with open arms and sell it too.

And you're right.. Spooky IS good..lol :)

Glad you had a good day anyways..

Take care

Phil

Thats different and I have seen that work . There is one here like that still got the doors open after 20 years ,so maybe thats okay . Might make some new friends as well Bill

I was just getting ready to write you. Yes I know commission and consignment isn't an ideal situation but it gets me a chance to have my work seen. Actually until I get some more made up the longer they take to sell the better. That's the more people get to see them locally. And hopefully order custom straps. So I hope it works out like that. He said when I had more to just go ahead and bring them in if I wanted. It was a great day Bill, it truly was. And no one really owns the gallery. He provides the space for local artists, and the artists themselves staff it. I wouldn't mind doing that too once in a while because I haven't gotten to spend nearly enough time in it looking around. Great day but really exhausted right now. Cheryl

You did really well, Cheryl and although, yes, its commission based, at least you got out there and presented both yourself and your work.

I know, it is a hard task putting yourself in the limelight and I'm sure, just as hard letting your work out to the public gaze, but it can be rewarding too. ;)

I know from friends who own an art gallery / shop, that they sometimes have a 'Meet the Artist' evening, because people like to see the artist and be able to chat with you, plus that in itself, could either lead to new orders or to new ideas for future projects..so you getting out there and meeting the potential customers for your work is always a good thing..

If your jewelry is a little more on the country and western side of things for that small shop, there are other places, or maybe even have one or two pieces to sell, alongside your guitar straps? Perhaps if you consider the western side of things, some place that sells to tourists, would love to sell work by a local artist?

One thing to remember, is that not all jewelry shops will have that woman's...err...taste.. or her client base.. A different place could quite welcome your work with open arms and sell it too.

And you're right.. Spooky IS good..lol :)

Glad you had a good day anyways..

Take care

Phil

Thanks Phil. It was scary to think about but not to do in the end. I spent 7 hours the day before getting those straps ready to go because they were all my earlier work, and the things I DIDN'T do then was glaring at me, Burnishing, rough holes, things like that. By the time I was done I was quite in love with them again. I called them my 'toddlers' to my job coach :-)

I've done ok, not great but ok on Etsy with my jewelry so there's a market, I sold three piece to a vet who specializes in ophthalmology in CA. So maybe that is my target group, I don't know. I need to check with my own vet probably. I'm just getting started so still lots to explore. But I've gotten over the first hurdle of just getting out there and letting my little toddlers be seen. Thanks again, Cheryl

Thats different and I have seen that work . There is one here like that still got the doors open after 20 years ,so maybe thats okay . Might make some new friends as well Bill

I hope so Bill. I'd like to meet some of these really talented people we have in this town. It would be interesting and fun. I just need to be patient and keep to my plan and see what happens. Thanks, Cheryl

Good going, one hurdle at a time, it's not a race.

Thanks Kevin. It was a big hurdle; one I've wanted to accomplish for months now. I can wait to do any more because frankly it was exhausting. And I have projects I need to be working on here. But I'm still elated at actually doing it. Cold sales are hard for anyone I think and for me to get out my door is a difficult enough task on most days. I'm really happy about how it went. Cheryl

I just got back from our local music store and the last of the straps has a home :-) He said he'd take as many as I wanted to bring out so people had a choice. They are making up a special display for me to separate it from the 'pack.' Well actually it does that all on it's own, LOL. It's the one below and would stand out, good or bad, in any pack. Cheryl

Thats great, I hope I can get some of my stuff in art galleries sometime.

I live in a small community that's really good about the artists helping each other out. I never really thought about it being an art gallery....even though I typed this up. That kinda makes me nervous now Odin. I never really thought of my straps as art but rather just wanting to get them displayed some where out in the community. But I hope everyone has the incredible opportunities I've had here. Cheryl