Chief31794

New Pro Craftools

I got a new catalog from Tandy and was surprised to see that they're offering "Professional Stamps" at $29.00 retail, $18.00 for business customers. Has anyone seen them, it appears they are mostly Sheridan Style stamps, including thumbprints, center shaders, leaf liners, veiners, camoflage, and "Steep" bevelers.

They look good in the catalog and I don't really need any, just wondering if anyone else has seen them. The price is close to what Barry King charges and I have some more stamps due in from King tomorrow, but the business (elite) discount makes them look attractive if they're any good.

Chief

George Hurst had some at a recent class, and I've seen them. they look good, but if i'm going to pay $30 for a tool, i'm calling Barry King. JMHO.

The catalog says they're going to be out in 2013.

George Hurst had some at a recent class, and I've seen them. they look good, but if i'm going to pay $30 for a tool, i'm calling Barry King. JMHO.

I agree, and probably still will, however, the price is only $18.00 that might make some of them worth a look, Barry is from $25-50, and they're great tools, I was wondering if anyone had seen these and what they thought of them. If I can get the same impression for $18 that would cost me $30, I might be interested, if they aren't any good, which is the case of all Craftool Stamps in the past 10-15 years, then I'm not. They do look interesting and it is interesting that they are targeting the Sheridan Style Carvers, kind of unusual for Tandy, they normally target the beginning to intermediate leather crafters. If this is a new direction, that's interesting, how about some professional edge bevelers and punches? If they are cheaper (the elite doesn't cost me anything becuase I have a business license), then I'm all for them putting out some professional type stuff. On another note, I wonder why they didn't call these the "Al Stohlman" stamps, that is what they do with some of their intermediate type stuff, this seems a level above that.

Chief

BAAZING!! I can buy three $6.50 tools at SLC for that price

I would have to do an awful lot of hide pounding to get to the point of upgrading to high end stamps.

BAAZING!! I can buy three $6.50 tools at SLC for that price

I would have to do an awful lot of hide pounding to get to the point of upgrading to high end stamps.

The stamps at SLC for $6.25 are Tandy Craftool Stamps that you can get from Tandy for $6.00 (Elite Membership) or from SLC for $4.85 (Gold Membership). SLC is a Tandy Reseller.

Chief

The stamps at SLC for $6.25 are Tandy Craftool Stamps that you can get from Tandy for $6.00 (Elite Membership) or from SLC for $4.85 (Gold Membership). SLC is a Tandy Reseller.

Chief

There are also the Hidecrafter tools available from SLC that are around that price and much better than Tandy's Craftools with heftier shafts too.

I own a number of the new Tandy Professional line of hole punches and lacing slit punches and they've been pretty nice so far. Last quite a bit longer than the Craftool versions and the sizing on the holes/distance between prongs appears to be more correct (the Craftools have too much space between prongs).

Now if they would offer better leather.......................................just saying!!

Now if they would offer better leather.......................................just saying!!

Got to agree there. I used their leather for a long time, then I got to where I'd only buy it if I went to the Tandy Store and picked it out, and about 5 years ago it got to where I couldn't find anything decent even if I looked through their entire stock. Buy all my leather from SLC, their Herman Oak is about the same price as Tandy's PooPoo and I can buy as little as 2 sq feet. I usually buy 20-30 sq ft at the time all 4-5 ounce, but it's nice to know that if I needed a couple of square feet of 9-10 oz, I could get it with no problems.

Chief

Chief

Thanks for the heads up on the pricing there Chief! I think I need to submit a business tax number to get wholesale pricing and

I have noticed they are selling single shoulders of herman oak toling leather for the same price Tandy is selling their

econo single shoulders. I am going to have to rethink buying local, It is just I am afraid I will get the culls when ordering

on line maybe ordering leather should be a phone order or are they quality concious as to what they send out?

regardless I believe SLC has the best pricing on their stamps and other tools.

Thanks for the heads up on the pricing there Chief! I think I need to submit a business tax number to get wholesale pricing and

I have noticed they are selling single shoulders of herman oak toling leather for the same price Tandy is selling their

econo single shoulders. I am going to have to rethink buying local, It is just I am afraid I will get the culls when ordering

on line maybe ordering leather should be a phone order or are they quality concious as to what they send out?

regardless I believe SLC has the best pricing on their stamps and other tools.

SLC customer service is excellent and whether you order over the phone or the web you will not get the "culls", only first rate material. I like calling cause I like to place orders that way, but I've done both and both are a very good experience and you will get 100% better quality than you do at Tandy. I buy their Grade "B" Hermann Oak, it is beautiful.

Chief

These Pro Series tools must be the ones I had heard about from the previous manager at my local Tandy last year. He had been with Tandy since some time in the mid 60's and was personally disappointed with the way the quality of the tools had gone over the years. How he heard, I don't know, but what he was saying is that Tandy was on a hunt to locate examples of all the older tools the made in order to use as a template for retooling and an effort to increase the quality of the tools. He was only able to speculate on the price point of the new tools, but did say that there was to be more of a human touch along each step of the tools being made instead of what is happening now.

I don't have any idea about the standard line of tools, but I do wonder if this Pro Series is what ended up being the result of what he was talking about.

SLC is where it's at bud great service great people great leather

I got a seeder, pear shader, beveler, veiner,Camo and a backgrounder. the brand name is US Stamps I got them off Ebay here a few weeks ago which i really liked

but doing a google search returned no results for us stamps except for postage stamps.

I would love to find more of these brand stamps because they are very well madethe impressions are good and defined with nice beefy stems

has any one else ran across these stamps with the brand name US Stamps?

SLC?

SLC?

S L C = Springfield Leather Company

http://springfieldleather.com/

Great place!!!