Sign in to follow this  
SooperJake

Dummy Gun Color Preference?

I see Rings Blue Guns are available in black, and I have heard of the blue coming off on a holster during molding. Do any of you have a preference for one color over the other? Does it really matter?

Jake

If you buy them from Rob at bluegunstore.com they don't have the extra blue finish layer. I borrowed a blue gun from a LGS and I cooked most of the blue off molding kydex. I have never had blue come off of one I bought from Rob. Ever. Been heat molding kydex on some of them for probably 4-5 months now. Even when the kydex sticks to them a bit, no blue comes off.

Blue, without a doubt. My reason is this - my kids hang out in the garage with me all the time. The last thing I want is one of my kids grabbing a blue gun off the wall, running around playing with it (which I try to keep them from doing), and alarming the neighbors because they think my kids are running around with real guns (that don't have orange tips on the muzzle to alert them otherwise). Nor would I want a thief driving by and seeing a wall full of "guns".

If you come across a bluegun that has the finish coat on it, simply pour some denatured alcohol in a dish, dip a toothbrush in the alcohol, then scrub the entire gun. The finish comes off very easily. Otherwise, order from bluegunstore.com or directly from blueguns.com if you prefer for some reason (but be sure to tell them you're using them for holsters and don't want the finish coat).

I like the black as I think it shows off my holsters better at shows. I don't like taking real guns to shows as they are heavy to transport in numbers and a large chance of theft. I bought most of the guns in blue before I found that they made them in black. I just ran the blue ones through a tub of black pro leather dye and dyed them black, and it worked great. If some of it wears off with molding holsters then I just redye them. Using black guns has improved my sales of holsters.

Blue, without a doubt. My reason is this - my kids hang out in the garage with me all the time. The last thing I want is one of my kids grabbing a blue gun off the wall, running around playing with it (which I try to keep them from doing), and alarming the neighbors because they think my kids are running around with real guns (that don't have orange tips on the muzzle to alert them otherwise). Nor would I want a thief driving by and seeing a wall full of "guns".

If you come across a bluegun that has the finish coat on it, simply pour some denatured alcohol in a dish, dip a toothbrush in the alcohol, then scrub the entire gun. The finish comes off very easily. Otherwise, order from bluegunstore.com or directly from blueguns.com if you prefer for some reason (but be sure to tell them you're using them for holsters and don't want the finish coat).

Eric, you are saying that there is a clear topcoat over the blue. Is that right?

The coating is just a lighter baby blue. The plastic itself is darker blue. If you can get your hands on a Crimson Trace or Hogue demo or factory demo blue gun you will see the color difference.

I'm in agreement with Eric. If it isn't a real weapon, then it needs to be very obvious for safety and security reasons. At a show, I'd think that the hosting group would insist on the standard 'blue', which is easily recognized, for the same reasons.

Plus, nothing else I use it that color blue, and when the desk gets a bit cluttered, they're easier to find.

If you plan to sell on eBay, they might give you a hassle if you show photos of your holster with a black gun in it.

I prefer the blue for a number of reasons, the top reason that they are quickly distinguishable from the real ones.

I guess my question should have been: Does the blue coating on Ring's Dummy guns come off on the holster during molding? And, if yes, Can you prevent it?

Jake

I guess my question should have been: Does the blue coating on Ring's Dummy guns come off on the holster during molding? And, if yes, Can you prevent it?

Jake

If you order them from bluegunstore, then no. The coating is not even on the guns. No color comes off when molding a leather holster or heat molding a kydex holster. If you order them from someone else you might want to ask. FWIW, bluegunstore sells the rings blue guns. I believe they special order them without the top coat of light blue.

Maybe you can tell from this pic that his blue guns are darker.

IMG_0848.jpg

If you plan to sell on eBay, they might give you a hassle if you show photos of your holster with a black gun in it.

I prefer the blue for a number of reasons, the top reason that they are quickly distinguishable from the real ones.

Ebay changed that a while back. A lot of my pictures have actual firearms in the holster. They also started selling gun parts again.