deluze

Another Newcomer

Hi everyone!

I found you guys sometime last week when I finally decided to give leather working a try, and I must say that I am amazed by all the knowledge that is gatherer here on this forum.

A little about me:

I'm a Norwegian male in my twenties who live and study in Bergen, Norway. I currently study biology, but have studied archaeology and a bit of philosophy in the past. I have always wanted to be able to create something (preferably beautiful), and I think leather and wood is the kind of crafting suited for me.

My ambitions with leather working is basically just to learn the craft, be able to make different items, and learn about different styles of stamping. My list of projects consists of a few bracelets, a holster for a power tool (Norwegian law i strict when it comes to owning a handgun, but I do want to feel like a cowboy at times), as well as a messenger-style bag. These will probably be done in that order after I feel like I'm done getting the hang of working with leather via a starter kit and some scrap tooling leather I got hold of.

I ended up ordering the Tandy Deluxe Beginner's Set, with the full knowledge that it would be cheap quality. My thought was to start out before deciding to spend more money on tools, this way I know more about what I need and what I want to do.

You might not see too much of me here on these boards, but rest assured I will be lurking around. As I see it probably most of the questions I have has been answered before, so I rather search and read than ask.

If by chance someone from Scandinavia read this I have a question for you - do you purchase leather and tools in Scandinavia, or do you order from the EU, UK, or US?

Cheers!

-Deluze

Welcome! I started exactly the same way, with the same set and the desire to "make" something. It's turned into a passion beyond anything I've known. Enjoy your cheap kit and use all the leather to practice on!

I make holsters as here in the states, we can own almost anything. Power tool holsters are cool too and you might look into making one for a prop gun just to get the feel of it.

Anyway, good luck!

Edited by immiketoo

Welcome aboard!

I'm at the same starting point as you. Enjoy!! I know I am!

Welcome!

I was in a similar position to you about a year ago =)

Leatherwork is very addictive by the way so I suggest you sing up with Norwegian "Leatherworkers anonymous" ;)

I think you can buy leather in Norway, but tool wise I had to buy a lot of mine from US. Some cheap hobby-level Asian stuff is surprisingly good (can't say anything bad about "Ivan" edge bevellers for example) but generally you would be better off buying high quality professional tools (e.g. Osborne).

I'd stay away from new Dixon tools if I were you, even though buying from the UK would be easier for you than from the US. The company has very good reputation but they have recently been producing absolute trash. Unless you can have a good look at a Dixon tool before you're buying it, don't buy it - you'll just waste time and money. I've had some excellent tools from them and I had some total crap (about 50-50 split). And their customer service, I must say, is atrocious.

Good luck with your new hobby!

Thank you all for a great welcome!

So far I've had a go with the pattern in The Major's "Basic Carving" which is found here, and I am learning a lot, one mistake at a time. I'm quite happy that I can clearly see (some of) my mistakes and how to avoid them the next time.

@immiketoo

I have looked around a bit for a prop gun, or a regular gun that don't fire, but there doesn't seem to be a big market for it over here. However I'm sure if I just looked around a bit more something will show up.

@Chavez

Yes, I have a few shops that sell leather here, however they have a small selection and I have a feeling that the quality isn't the best. Although I will give one of them a go and hope for the best (that one happen to carry a small selection of Osborne tools as well).

I have accepted that I will have to shop from outside of Norway, and if it's from the UK or US doesn't matter as the shipping is more or less the same.

Thank you for your input on Dixon tools, this world of leatherworking is quite big and it's easy to get lost so every manufacturer or store that I can put on my ignore-list is helpful.

For any other Norwegians that read this the shops I have found is:

Jørn Jensen Lærhandel. Have some tools from Osborne.

Skinnlåven

Sløyd-Detaljer

-Deluze

Edit: Removed a shop from the list

Edited by deluze

Welcome to LW.net!

One of our long time members recently moved back to Scandinavia, but I can't recall which country she's in.....I'll shoot her a PM and see if she can chime in with some recommendations.

Thank you, TwinOaks, that would be great!

-Deluze

She's in Sweden :-)

Welcome deluze to this awesome place on the net:-)

Leather is "easier" to find, one place I would test out is Tärnsjö garveri as they tan the hides themselfs (? I'm not sure if they do import some of their stock) http://www.tarnsjogarveri.se/. Then there's http://www.laederiet.dk/ in Denmark...Or http://www.tjaderlader.se/shop/

Tools is a problem. Slöjddetaljer, Tjäderläder & Laederiet all have the Tandy tools. If you want something else then USA is the place, or why not try to get the older Tandy tools on Ebay (probably also going to be shipped from the States)?

Jag hoppas det är bra i Bergen, min bästa väninnans dotter pluggar till läkare där just nu (och 4-5 år till) och själv har jag inte varit i Bergen på 30 år men jag kommer ihåg båtturen på fjorden, otroligt vackert :-)

Edited by Tina

Thank you very much, Tina!

I will take a look at Tärnsjö garveri and Læderiet. Tjäder-Läder actually looks like a Swedish version of Skinnlåve, or the other way around. It's good to have a few different stores for price comparison.

Tools isn't really that much of a problem, my main worry was the cost of shipping many pounds of leather across the ocean :-)

Det er meget bra i Bergen, jeg har bodd her nå i 4 år i forbindelse med studier og har det kjempeflott. Jeg har hørt mye godt om legestudiene her, og jeg håper din venninnes datter trives. Forøvrig må jeg si at signaturen din er meget flott!

-Deluze

Jeg kan ikke ha svarene, men jeg vet hvem du skal spørre!

That you did! And I must say, that post brought a smile to my face, well done!

-Deluze

You're sooo right, Tjäderläder does have a norwegian site as well, totally forgot about that :surrender: