Charrell88

Starter Machine

I have read the long article on machines and hate to ask the question again. But is there a starter machine that will sew leather holsters I can get into for less than 500$ somewhere? I want to see if its something that I can do, like it to, would add to my ability to sell etc without breaking the bank. If it then works out I could justify spending the money on a boss or some other industrial type leather machine..... I know someone has used an old singer or something and got away with it... I just need to know what will do it and what wont.

Thank you. Colby

I have read the long article on machines and hate to ask the question again. But is there a starter machine that will sew leather holsters I can get into for less than 500$ somewhere? I want to see if its something that I can do, like it to, would add to my ability to sell etc without breaking the bank. If it then works out I could justify spending the money on a boss or some other industrial type leather machine..... I know someone has used an old singer or something and got away with it... I just need to know what will do it and what wont.

Thank you. Colby

I doubt you will find what you need to sew holsters with for the $500. price tag. Might I suggest you hand sew the first few and put the money toward a machine. I really feel you will need a machine with at least a 5/8" capability or 3/4" to do a good job on holsters. Only thing I know of for that kind of money might be a NT Champion and they are hard to learn on.

You might look into a landis 1. I have seen some around pretty cheap. 600-900.

I'm going double down on what Ken said. There is so much to learn about holster design, leather purchasing, finishing and selling for a profit, to name a few of the obstacles ahead of you, to be a HOLSTER MAKER, that a machine should be far in the future.

I did the wrong thing and bought ALL the correct machines, spent literally hundreds of hours learning to use them and THEN started making holsters. WRONG WAY!

Make holsters by hand, finished to perfection,sell them for a profit, and then when you are too busy to sew by hand...and making way to much money to stop...THINK ABOUT buying a sewing machine.

The stitching of a good holster, on a machine, is probably the LEAST MOST IMPORTANT THING to learn.

Make ..say..thirty.. by hand..THEN.. post again.

Just my thoughts.

Kevin