Sign in to follow this  
SooperJake

Thumb Break Rivets

Anyone happen to have a source for a flat rivet for thumb break installation? I am looking for something similar to those seen on commercial holsters like Aker or Blackhawk use. These are quite small in diameter and have flat heads on them. Pictures tell all.

I'm not happy with the 2 piece rivets typical of the leather stores.

Thanks.

Edited by SooperJake

Once you have the rivet pretty well set, flip the setter over and use the flat end to flatten the rivet.....you flip the setting 'anvil' over to the flat side too.

If you look at the right hand rivet in the last pic, you can see a little crescent where the setter wasn't quite centered over the rivet.

Same tools, different results.

Looks like a tubular rivet. I use a two piece (rivet and cap) tubular rivet from Ohio Travel Bag. They are stronger and smaller than something like a rapid rivets, double caps, or other similar rivets. I've never tried to set them my hand. I use a press with dies. You can get just the rivet part from Tandy, but I've never been able to get caps from them.

Does anyone have any of these or know where I can get them locally? I am in dire need of something that will mount one of these stiffeners ASAP. Jake if you sent something, disregard, but the lady called last night looking for the holster I made for the benefit and it just needs the rivets to be done. Thanks in advance for any info.

Mike

i found some doulde cap rivets at hobby lobby here..just set them with the flat side of the anvil instead of the cupped side...slc sells them as well...

Mike, I didn't send any rivets for the thumb break stiffener.

i found some doulde cap rivets at hobby lobby here..just set them with the flat side of the anvil instead of the cupped side...slc sells them as well...

Not the rivets I am looking for. I'm pretty sure the rivets in the pictures start out flat, and after setting, they are now slightly concave. There is a dimple in the center of the backside or exposed part of the rivet. I'm guessing that the dimple is from a press used to install. Maybe they are something custom made but I've seen them on more than one holster maker's product, so I have to believe that somewhere in the world they can be bought.

Jake,

I use double cap rivets from both SLC and Weaver. They have the domed ends and I set them by hand using a domed rivet setting tool and a piece of 1" steel plate as a "bench anvil". The backside that is flat against the plate looks exactly like your pictures, flat as can be except the little dimple in the center. I believe the dimple is caused by the domed end being smashed flat but that really doesn't matter. Like Twin Oaks mentioned above, using regular double cap rivets and standard setting tools you can get the look you want, just use the flat sides of your setting tool and anvil to flatten the rivets when you set them.

Good luck,

Josh

Thanks again Jake, I called Tandy and they have something that will get me by, but I hear what your saying. The better rivet will give a more professional look. I'd really like to source some like Galco use.

Thanks again Jake, I called Tandy and they have something that will get me by, but I hear what your saying. The better rivet will give a more professional look. I'd really like to source some like Galco use.

You might want to take a look at these folks for flat head rivets. http://www.rivetsonline.com/

I did, and that site is really confusing. I'm not sure I could find what I needed if I had to. Maybe I'll give them a call.