Natalie O

Is The Leather I Am Using, Right?

Syl, I gotta disagree based on the pics, and the fact that she said the color changes drastically when wet. Chrome tanned just looks at you. I have tooled chrome latino and while it wasnt easy, it can be done. Anyway, hopefully we can help Natalie with her problem.

Hello,

well to start, it doesn't have that grey line at all. I cut several edges and the color is just brown with the top layer a bit lighter.

I did soak better and tried stamping on my floor and it was a lot better! Thanks! Unfortunately my neighbors where having a fight downstairs and may now think i was telling them off :P .

As for the supplier, i did explain him what i wanted it for and told him that veg tan means that the leather wasn't processed with chemicals. He seemed to understand.

I will try to find a harder surface. So if i do find a piece of marble i just put it over my working table?

Yes. on the table or on the floor... even on your lap if you want and can handle the weight. I tooled for months on a little patio table... talk about noisy... then put a granite slab up there and that quieted it down a lot.

Syl, I gotta disagree based on the pics, and the fact that she said the color changes drastically when wet. Chrome tanned just looks at you. I have tooled chrome latino and while it wasnt easy, it can be done. Anyway, hopefully we can help Natalie with her problem.

Chrome latino? ha ha ha ha!! I think you meant, Chrome Latigo. I've tooled Chrome tanned, too, before I learned it "couldn't be done." lol It looked ok at first but it eventually just looked embossed. My Grey chrome tanned changes color with water... it gets darker. Mine doesn't feel as though it has a burnished or finished surface. It almost feels like suede... but not quite. But it sounds as if Natalie is pretty certain she got Veg Tanned.

[so if i do find a piece of marble i just put it over my working table?]

IF IT IS A NICE TABLE AND YOU WANT TO KEEP IT NICE, I WOULD PUT A RUBBER MAT INBETWEEN THE MARBLE AND THE TABLE. BUT NOTHING GOES ON TOP OF THE MARBLE EXCEPT THE LEATHER YOU ARE WORKING ON.

looks to me from the pics that there could be some rawhide in the centre of the leather, it looks darker through the centre to me

The center does appear a bit darker.

And i did the test with the water....there's bubbles coming out of everywhere so i guess it does take in water well.

Jax if it is rawhide is it ok for tooling?

Yes Natalie you can tool it no problem. I'm glad the floor worked better for you. You NEED a thick slab of smooth stone though. It will help your impressions and your noise.

Chrome latino? ha ha ha ha!! I think you meant, Chrome Latigo. I've tooled Chrome tanned, too, before I learned it "couldn't be done." lol It looked ok at first but it eventually just looked embossed. My Grey chrome tanned changes color with water... it gets darker. Mine doesn't feel as though it has a burnished or finished surface. It almost feels like suede... but not quite. But it sounds as if Natalie is pretty certain she got Veg Tanned.

Syl, that guy was PISSED...

LOL I think I would be too. I've known some Latinos that were tools but never have seen one that had been tooled. ha ha ha.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. I have been working on the floor this morning (since its sunday and all stores are shut to buy a piece of marble) and soaked the leather a bit better and it did wonders. The tooling looks very good. I only have one last question. Is there anything i can use instead of contact cement to keep my leather from stretching during tooling? Any tips on that? (i dont believe i can find contact cement here).

Natalie, thanks for coming into chat. Let me know how it works out for you.

Is there anything i can use instead of contact cement to keep my leather from stretching during tooling? Any tips on that? (i dont believe i can find contact cement here).

I just read a post where the gentleman said he used painters tape on the back

Another Belt Order Completed <---- Check out this link - His work is Super and

I have read of others using tape also... like 2 layers going opposite directions.

Sounds like that would be much easier to remove when you are done tooling.

Hope this helps...

If you are talking about glueing the leather piece to a piece of cardboard or something to prevent stretching while you are tooling, I always use rubber cement so the cardboard or whatever can be peeled off fairly cleanly afterwards.