Sign in to follow this  
cleanview

Contact Cement Oops

I just finished making a single mag holger and when I glued the edges under the seems I got some on the inside of the holder. Other than that, it turned out well. I thought it might just dry and the problem would go away. I guess that aint going to fix itself.

Any suggestion as to how to resolve the contact cement problem.

I would try acetone on a cloth and see if it will remove the contact cement.......should work and try not to get any on the finish or it will remove that too. JMHO

and FYI..........I was born in Amarillo!!

I just finished making a single mag holger and when I glued the edges under the seems I got some on the inside of the holder. Other than that, it turned out well. I thought it might just dry and the problem would go away. I guess that aint going to fix itself.

Any suggestion as to how to resolve the contact cement problem.

sprinkle in some leather dust ...sand a piece of leather and you will have plenty all over the place..

I will try that. I am just about to give up and redo it and learn to be more cautious with the cement from here on out.

I am sure it is just one of the newbie mistakes I have made and sadly it will not be the last

ive completely finished holsters before only to realize i was supposed to cut in a belt tunnel...its still on my wall as a reminder to slow down

I've had good luck being able to wait for the contact cement to dry and then just rub it with your finger until the adhesive balls up and comes off.

Take a small spoonful of adhesive and allow it to dry out on a smooth surface. When dried, peel it off and work it with your fingers into a ball. Carefully rub the glue you want to remove with the dried adhesive ball, and it will adhere to the surface of the ball. This works with most contact adhesives.

Take a small spoonful of adhesive and allow it to dry out on a smooth surface. When dried, peel it off and work it with your fingers into a ball. Carefully rub the glue you want to remove with the dried adhesive ball, and it will adhere to the surface of the ball. This works with most contact adhesives.

One quick note, . . . if you have a piece of thick glass, . . . might want to use it. CC comes off of glass, . . . but some other smooth surfaces it just wants to "hang in there" on it. Otherwise, . . . super-duper idea.

May God bless,

Dwight