I have heard mention of this here on the forum, is it all over or just in certain states?

I have some Eco-Flo dye, but from what I am reading here I am not sure I want to use it if it is not water proof... or am I totally confused?

What does everyone use for say Belts, Wallets, purses and things that people will use all the time?

I cant speak on what everyone uses for their items, but I can speak on your first question....

Fiebings is not being banned.... Solvent based oil dyes are being banned. These are high (cant think of the word) solutions that the state of California had demonized and illegalized for "hobby" and personal use. And several other states are wanting to follow Californias lead because everyone is trying to jump on the green, save the earth from global warming band wagon....

The eco flo is Tandys answer to Californias decision to disallow the solvent based dyes to be sold. All the Eco Flo is is water soluble dye that they have been selling for allong time already, but they re packaged everything and slapped a new name on everything and hiked the price by a dollar for every 4oz bottle and introduced several new colors and discontinued several of the old colors.

Now as for Fiebings, they are also focusing on water based dyes too. And Low (what ever that word is) dyes. I can still get the good stuff here in Chattanooga.... but most of it is on the discontinued shelf....

Wolvie. Are you fishing for the term VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds).

Barra

I can still get the good stuff here in Chattanooga....

Brad,

Several forum members still prefer the spirit-based dyes, as Wolvie mentions. However, I consider the new Eco-Flo dyes a godsend. I was never able to get the spirit dyes to go on without major streaking, and my attempts to repair the streaking ended up making the items too dark.

I'd give Eco-Flo dyes a chance before writing them off. It's true that they can be affected by water since they're water-based, but a good top coat finish, like Satin Shene will minimize that problem. I use Eco-Flo colors for all of my belts, wallets, wristbands, etc. and have never had an issue with water.

Another added benefit of Eco-Flo... You don't have to buff the heck out of your dyed projects to remove the dried pigment. That was always a major issue that caused color transfer to your clothing, hands, etc.

Give 'em a try and see for yourself.

Best, -Alex

Thats it, thank you Barra

Fiebings is not being banned.... Solvent based oil dyes are being banned. These are high (cant think of the word) solutions that the state of California had demonized and illegalized for "hobby" and personal use. And several other states are wanting to follow Californias lead because everyone is trying to jump on the green, save the earth from global warming band wagon....

The eco flo is Tandys answer to Californias decision to disallow the solvent based dyes to be sold. All the Eco Flo is is water soluble dye that they have been selling for allong time already, but they re packaged everything and slapped a new name on everything and hiked the price by a dollar for every 4oz bottle and introduced several new colors and discontinued several of the old colors.

Yeah, we just gotta thank that RINO, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger Shriver and our absofreakinloutely insane legislature. :mad::mad::mad:

As far as using the eco-Flo dyes, they work just fine for wallets, belts, watchbands, etc. as long as you put a finish on them like Satin Sheen.

I learned the hard way; if using different colors, seal each color one at a time. I did a belt, dyed it, then took a wool dauber and started spreading on the Satin Sheen and it all smeared really bad. The belt ended up black.

It makes sense that with the 'smearability' of the Eco dyes, spraying on the finish would be prudent.

After months of experimenting with them, I have switched entirely to water-based dyes now. After making the adjustments, I have to say I'm getting very close to the same results from them as I got with the spirit-based dyes. I love how much more color-fast the water-based dyes are (once they survive the staining/antiquing and finishing process, that is!), and I sure don't miss having to protect myself from the fumes!

As others have mentioned, the big challenge is what stains and finishes you can use with them without losing too much color or smearing it. For those who have airbrushing equipment, spraying the finish on is by far the easiest and most trouble-free. When you spray, it almost doesn't matter what you use; they will all go on nicely when sprayed. When spraying is not an option, and the finish must be wiped on, I like Tan-Kote or paste wax. They don't dissolve the dye quite as easily, so it's easier to wipe them on without disturbing the dye job than an acrylic finish.

Kate

I use EcoFlo as well, mainly due to my location and they ar the only thing allowed to be shipped by air. Roght now they go on my holsters and mag pouches. My experience echos the others here, I'm getting good results from the dyes and I'm finding them versatile. And I mentioned in another post since they are water-soluable you need to make sure of your construction process and adjust accordingly.

I use Resolene as top coat. Prior to that I used tan Kote. I spray on the top coat and get great results.

Since this is the place to find out things, I would like a little advice about the Eco -

Flo. I am making some scarf slide buttons that will have an interweave of a complimenting color. I have natural lace and will dye the lace prior to making the button. Should I seal the base knot before putting in the interweave or can I do both at once by dipping the button in a finish? Also, is Tan-Kote a good finish for this or would you recommend something else?

These are going to be sold with silk scarves and we don't want the color to run onto the scarf.

Joe

Since this is the place to find out things, I would like a little advice about the Eco -

Flo. I am making some scarf slide buttons that will have an interweave of a complimenting color. I have natural lace and will dye the lace prior to making the button. Should I seal the base knot before putting in the interweave or can I do both at once by dipping the button in a finish? Also, is Tan-Kote a good finish for this or would you recommend something else?

These are going to be sold with silk scarves and we don't want the color to run onto the scarf.

Joe

Honestly, I think I'd dye the individual colors of the weave before putting the knot together and then I'd finish with one last coat or two of sprayed top coat to completely seal. Then again, I err on the side of overkill.

Also, is Tan-Kote a good finish for this or would you recommend something else?

Joe

Joe, Tan kote isn't waterproof or even particularly water resistant. It'll spot, at the very least, & possibly allow the water-based ecoflo dyes to run. I don't like it for that reason, although many people here absolutely love it & use it exclusively... With the old spirit dyes, spotting would be the worst one could expect if the item got wet, but with the new ecoflo stuff, you've got to be careful & seal it well [& yes, I very much like the new eco flo dyes, but I do take extra precautions with any item that could get wet (from rain or perspiration)]. Just my observation & my $.02 worth.

russ

Edited by whinewine

I cant speak on what everyone uses for their items, but I can speak on your first question....

Fiebings is not being banned.... Solvent based oil dyes are being banned.

I don't think it will happen any time soon as it's still available on Fiebing's site. Show me one saddle maker using water based dyes and I will show you a saddle maker that won't be selling too many saddles. You might get by using water based dyes on micro projects, but thats about all its good for in my opinion. Below info copied from Fiebing's site.

Professional Oil Dye

A new, improved version of our traditional leather dye. Professional Oil Dye is also an alcohol-based dye created specifically for natural strap leather, vegetable tanned leather and bag & case leather. Excellent coverage and superior colorfastness.

Manufactured in Black, Dark Brown, Light Brown, Saddle Tan, Mahogany, Red, Royal Blue, Yellow, Green, Walnut and Chocolate.

Packaged in 4 ounce, 32 ounce, Gallon, 5 Gallon pails and 55 Gallon drums.

I prefer Fiebings, I can order it as I have a resale id and use it in manufacturing on my products. I live in Calif.

In regards to Tandy's Ecoflo dyes I hate them with a passion, they are a waste of money in my opinion as I have to use 3 times the amt of dye to get the same color and penetration that I get from the spirit dyes. If fiebings dye is too dark I dilute with spirit and the dye last even longer (for that depth of color

The only advantage to the eco flo is the lack of spirit smell. I order directly from Fiebings, I just wish Tandy would sell the dye in their stores to those of us with the proper requirements to be able to buy them.

Just my experience.