narrowsuch

Newbie - Let Me Know Your Thoughts!

Hi Guys,

Been making cases for freinds and family for the last few months, would love to know your thoughts and feedback on my work!

I have been mainly asked to make iphone/ipod/kindle cases and I also made a leather case for my 13" mac air...all my own basic designs.

Cheers,

Nathan

post-36755-0-66055200-1358652728_thumb.j

post-36755-0-83242100-1358652731_thumb.j

post-36755-0-21962200-1358652734_thumb.j

post-36755-0-12025500-1358652737_thumb.j

post-36755-0-62694600-1358652739_thumb.j

post-36755-0-22940500-1358652742_thumb.j

post-36755-0-14530800-1358652745_thumb.j

post-36755-0-69338900-1358652749_thumb.j

post-36755-0-30459100-1358652754_thumb.j

post-36755-0-23852500-1358652758_thumb.j

looking good! Nice clean designs, good execution. Now tidy up the details!

nice! good designs and practical too.

simplicity usually looks better, but its also harder to pull off as its easier for errors to show, but its the errors that we learn from!

Personally i quite like the odd mishap as it makes the piece more unique, and shows it is not machined.

Couple of things i spotted (mainly because I have done them myself) - sewing groove was cut after the dye applied, so the channel appears lighter. If i do this i use a fine brush to apply the dye just to the channel.

On one piece the groove was cut before the leather was folded, leaving a visible groove around the fold where the stitching ended. I would have marked the stich holes first, then cut the groove only between the holes to be stitched.

Hows Cleckheaton these days? I lived there for years before having to move to the wrong side of the hill.

adam

Cheers mike !

Adam really useful pointers, things to think about and apply when finishing my leather projects!

If I took better pictures the cases are cut by hand so are not quite straight/square, I have struggled cutting round corners but basically cut straight lines around the edge and sand/burnish...

Cleckheaton is still awesome, I love it here ! :thumbsup:

Edited by narrowsuch

Also the use of an edge beveller and burnisher on the edges will give them a more finished appearance.

Also the use of an edge beveller and burnisher on the edges will give them a more finished appearance.

Thanks cameroo, I will be investing in more tools shortly!

You have certainly developed your own unique style, which is important to me. I noticed that you like to keep things relatively simple. Some well thought out and carefully placed carving can really enhance a piece while still keeping it simple. Have you developed any carving skills yet? Great job!

You have certainly developed your own unique style, which is important to me. I noticed that you like to keep things relatively simple. Some well thought out and carefully placed carving can really enhance a piece while still keeping it simple. Have you developed any carving skills yet? Great job!

Thanks for your feedback, muchly appreciated! No i havent tried carving yet, its something i definately want to learn more about in time im sure.

im still very much new to this and im still trying to get the basics mastered, im sure ill get more adventurous soon though :thumbsup: !

G'Day,

I feel the same as Cameroo. The use of a beveller will tidy up the edges, but otherwise, really nice work.

One thing I taught myself, was to use the narrow rounded bit of a wooden handle of one of my tools as a burnisher, especially for hard to get at places, tight curves, corners, etc.

I 've been experimenting with a similar design (similar to the first few pics) for some hand held devices. A one piece, folded over, with belt loop, but machine stitched, and then a wooden mould pushed in after I've dampened it.

@ Narrowsuch, I was originally born in Haverhill in Suffolk, but spent nearly all my life in Australia.

All the best to all,

HS

G'Day,

I feel the same as Cameroo. The use of a beveller will tidy up the edges, but otherwise, really nice work.

One thing I taught myself, was to use the narrow rounded bit of a wooden handle of one of my tools as a burnisher, especially for hard to get at places, tight curves, corners, etc.

I 've been experimenting with a similar design (similar to the first few pics) for some hand held devices. A one piece, folded over, with belt loop, but machine stitched, and then a wooden mould pushed in after I've dampened it.

@ Narrowsuch, I was originally born in Haverhill in Suffolk, but spent nearly all my life in Australia.

All the best to all,

HS

Hey HS,

Great idea about the burnisher, will try that next case I make! Thanks for the advice.

Let me know how you get on, and send some pics, didnt think of putting a belt loop on interesting idea...

Dont think you will get as much snow in Oz as we do here at the moment my freind !!

Cheers,

Nathan

Very good start.

One other thing is to round off any sharp edges as they will get dogged up rather quickly.

A nice small tooling COULD accent the piece nicely however it could also do more bad than good if its not executed well or if it doesn't jive right with the design, I'm certainly not saying that you couldn't execute it well or choose a good design I just don't believe tooling is always necessary to have a nice custom piece.

G'Day again,

Heres that experimental phone case I was talking about:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40990121@N05/8404653317/in/photostream/

I timed myself and made that one in under an hour.

Once you open the velcro flap, the phone is about 1" - 1 1/4" proud, enough to easily slide the phone out.

I might make the velcro a bit smaller next time, but my thinking for that large piece , was to accomodate variations in different size phones.

After I stitched it and while it was still slighly damp, I pushed the wooden mould in ,and I then used the rounded corner of a quite a large thick 'D' ring to give it a nice shape on both sides , it also helps to remove any machine marks. as a result of being a bit damp.

I have also made a few more, black & saddle tan.

I might also play around with some other designs that have been 'buzzing' around in my head,

as well as different sizes widths, depths, tooled etc.

Also, this is my latest stubby holder:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40990121@N05/8404652847/in/photostream/

I love making those. They are time consuming, but its worth it

You can see the front of it, just to the right of screen on my photo stream bit.

All th best

HS

I'm still learning how to do the horses.

That phone case would look pretty classy with a loop that the tab slides into to close it instead of the Velcro. Looks good as is too.

The horse carving looks great. What is a stubby holder?

G'Day again,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40990121@N05/8404653317/in/photostream/

Once you open the velcro flap, the phone is about 1" - 1 1/4" proud, enough to easily slide the phone out.

I might make the velcro a bit smaller next time, but my thinking for that large piece , was to accomodate variations in different size phones.

After I stitched it and while it was still slighly damp, I pushed the wooden mould in ,and I then used the rounded corner of a quite a large thick 'D' ring to give it a nice shape on both sides , it also helps to remove any machine marks. as a result of being a bit damp.

I might also play around with some other designs that have been 'buzzing' around in my head,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40990121@N05/8404652847/in/photostream/

You can see the front of it, just to the right of screen on my photo stream bit.

All th best

HS

G'Day , and thank you very much for your feedback.

A stubby holder is for an ice cold stubby of beer.

I'll attach a pic for you.

And as its been the hottest summer on record down here in 'upsidedownland' right across the country , and the beer is going down like water :cheers:

In my part of West Oz as @ 3.40pm , is just over 40 degs C . ( over 100F in your lingo) Its been much hotter than that in the past few months.

Those ( printed) foam rubber stubby holders serve their purpose of keeping the beer cold, but a nice handcrafted leather one is so much nicer, ........and fun to make.

And whats even more fun , is consuming the contents to get the logo off the cans :spoton:

Thank you once again and all the best

HS :)

post-7215-0-93429400-1358926136_thumb.jp

Very good start.

One other thing is to round off any sharp edges as they will get dogged up rather quickly.

A nice small tooling COULD accent the piece nicely however it could also do more bad than good if its not executed well or if it doesn't jive right with the design, I'm certainly not saying that you couldn't execute it well or choose a good design I just don't believe tooling is always necessary to have a nice custom piece.

Thanks billy mac, I have noticed that already on mine! I will try round the cases off in my next case project...as for tooling I am practising at the moment Ill post some pics as soon as i have a finished piece!

Cheers,

Nathan

G'Day again,

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

All th best

HS

Hi HS,

Looks really nice, I must admit I like making them too, takes me a little longer 1-2 hours I would say to make one!

I like the idea if moulding the case with the shape of the phone makes it look more uniform, might give that a try on some of the larger phones I get asked to make...

That stubby holder is awesome, very nice workmanship there!

I am going to be buying some basketweave/rope type tools soon to have a play with, it does look awesome but i bet you have to really take your time and be carefull with the stamping??

Cheers,

Nathan

G'day,

Practice as much as you can with the basket weave stamps . They do take some getting used to, but they are very effective, and look so nice.

there are a few vids on youtube for 'how to....basket weave'

hope that helps a bit.

I'm still learning how to do horses in leather, but thats one of my better ones.

I keep going back to that pic and think, "yep.... I like that " It makes me smile when I look at it.

Its so much better than my earlier attempts at carving horses.

Its THE one aspect of carving that I would love to get right. I love horses.

I have horses all around me in my area,I have heaps of harnesses ,saddles , bridles etc hanging up in my workshop

and even in Chinese astrology, I am a horse.

Just following a natural path I guess :)

But thank you.

All the best,

HS

That is a beautiful stubby holder HS, the horse really looks great!!

:clapping:

nice clean, work i agree. i'm fairly new here to. you should check out a guy on you tube called satan's barber, hes from the U.K. he's awesome i learned alot i have applied and he's changed mygame. i think youd enjoy his vids man.

You have the chance to create your own design and to prepare your own patterns. I discovered that many people do not have this ability and they can only work with kits and templates prepared by others. It's just like with music: Many can play an instrument reading a score, but very few are able to compose. Thank what or who ever you wish to have been granted this ability and keep going with it, practice and technique learning will do the rest with time, you start well.

(I was eventually not surprised to see a beer can thumbnail posted by an Australian! :cheers: I'm wondering why...)

looked at the pics, good job , very nice.and the advice you got here will help alot..good work